Technology: General Discussion

Donald said:
Mave said:
Do you guys use Windows' virtual desktops? I knew they existed before but only started using them today. Pretty handy to have all your stuff from project A on desktop 1 and all you other stuff on desktop 2.
Windows+Tab opens all your open windows and then at the bottom you see your virtual desktops. You can create a new one there or use Windows+Control+D
You can switch through them with Windows+Control+Left and Windows+Control+Right (they don't loop unfortunately)

Kvn6P9w.png
Using four screens for work, which is enough screen estate for me.
I didn't like the virtual desktops for some reason..
4 screens? Are some pure monitoring?

Was looking at a NAS today to buy once we move into the apartment.

I always thought a NAS with RAID didn't need an additional backup but apparently I was wrong: NAS arrays do fail sometimes.
Also these days you can never be sure some ransomware ends up on your PC and encrypts all drives.. including the network ones (your precious NAS).

So yeah if you want to be 100% sure of not losing data I guess you need a NAS (even without RAID is fine imo) and an additional backup drive of like 10gb that you use every week. And that's exactly what I'm gonna do once we need to move.

I have similar ideas for when I buy a house, but honestly I'm too lazy/stupid to map it all out.

Stybar said:
I have similar ideas for when I buy a house, but honestly I'm too lazy/stupid to map it all out.
Two weeks before moving in is when the stress will kick in.

Downloaded Blue Planet 2 in 4k. I've used VLC since forever so I was pretty confident that it would play 4K content well. I was wrong.
Apparently VLC pretty much sucks for playing 4K.
Googled a bit and found MPV, works like a charm. https://mpv.io/

One of the keys's illumination on my laptop is broken.. damnit.
In static red you don't notice it, but any other color makes it pop out like a sore thumb. It also look horrible on any rgb changing patterns.
Already tried updating the software and rebooting, going to reinstall the driver but if that doesn't work I'm out of options.

One of the keys's illumination on my laptop is broken.. damnit.
In static red you don't notice it, but any other color makes it pop out like a sore thumb. It also look horrible on any rgb changing patterns.
Already tried updating the software and rebooting, going to reinstall the driver but if that doesn't work I'm out of options.
This sounds like a hardware issue with 95% confidence.
So it works on red, but every other color is off? Does it turn on at all on full green or blue?
If no, the solder joint might just have become dead. You could fix that in 10 minutes.

This sounds like a hardware issue with 95% confidence.
So it works on red, but every other color is off? Does it turn on at all on full green or blue?
If no, the solder joint might just have become dead. You could fix that in 10 minutes.
Problem is, it's a laptop still under warranty. I'll post a video tonight.

New iPhone with dual sim will cost €1400+ Apple is going crazy. :biggrin:

7gNLKRK.png

They have absolutely lost their minds.

For the past 5 years I've done this every year: sell my iPhone before the new one arrives for 3/4rd of the price I originally paid, then temporary use an older phone for a month and then buy the new one (the price for the new model used to be around the same every year)
Now with the new iPhone prices being revealed, instead of costing me €250 to get the newest phone, it would cost me €679, AND 3/4th of the value of my current 8+. (64GB is too little for me)

Fuck that.

I'm out Apple. Gonna keep using my current phone until it dies and then probably switch to an Android alternative.

7gNLKRK.png

They have absolutely lost their minds.

For the past 5 years I've done this every year: sell my iPhone before the new one arrives for 3/4rd of the price I originally paid, then temporary use an older phone for a month and then buy the new one (the price for the new model used to be around the same every year)
Now with the new iPhone prices being revealed, instead of costing me €250 to get the newest phone, it would cost me €679, AND 3/4th of the value of my current 8+. (64GB is too little for me)

Fuck that.

I'm out Apple. Gonna keep using my current phone until it dies and then probably switch to an Android alternative.

Welcome to the club of intelligent and reasonable adults, please enjoy your stay.

Youtube went down for the first time ever and the whole world panicked. It would of course be pretty tragic... all the content on youtube permanently lost.
Made me backup all my uploads, you never know...

I do feel like youtube is too riddled with rubbish videos, as opposed to vimeo, where you can only upload x videos on a free account (also has its downsides) but compression is much less aggressive.

YouTube was down? Didn't even notice.
And I doubt all content would be permanently lost. Someone, somewhere has backups, probably even google themselves.

YouTube was down? Didn't even notice.
And I doubt all content would be permanently lost. Someone, somewhere has backups, probably even google themselves.
I'm really curious if they even have backups, I mean 400GB is uploaded every minute. Although they do have different data centers.

when a standard person uploads a video, it only gets stored in the most local data center. this is why when you watch a video with very little views, it often buffers a bunch and takes forever to load.

as view count increases, copies of the data are distributed to relevant data centers around the world. this is why ads and extremely popular content loads extremely quickly.

Huh, makes sense in a technical way. It's actually pretty clever to spread the bandwidth.

Well not only do they have to store an insane amount of video, they also store it (afaik) in 16 different resolutions. Think about that.

Back
Top Bottom