General chit-chat

Of course I'm happy that Ukraine won, but I can't help wondering if they would have won without their current situation.

saosqOQ.jpeg

Of course I'm happy that Ukraine won, but I can't help wondering if they would have won without their current situation.

saosqOQ.jpeg
Most likely not.
Now the Ukrainian organizers are going to have quite a challenge to set up the event for next year, though.

Most likely not.
Now the Ukrainian organizers are going to have quite a challenge to set up the event for next year, though.
Oh shit I completely forgot about that. The winning country is supposed to host the next edition. Quite a challenge indeed. I hope they pull it off though. (and are of course war-free by then)

Lower-back? No clue if you already have a proper chair, but it might be good to invest in one for good posture.
Easier said than done since proper chair costs a fortune. ;( So I need to start save money because I really need a new one :biggrin:

Easier said than done since proper chair costs a fortune. ;( So I need to start save money because I really need a new one :biggrin:
Damn you weren't kidding.. Googled around for a bit and most are €1000.
The Aeron seems the go-to budget option though, should be around €300-400.

Finally some great cancer treatment news! And it's from a very reputable source.

Finally some great cancer treatment news! And it's from a very reputable source.

Sounds great, but I'm always a bit skeptic about medical journalism.
Usually, the thing they are reporting on is not as "groundbreaking" as the article makes it seem. It's usually groundbreaking in terms of scientific progress, sure, but not the "we cured cancer forever" type of stuff. Most of the time it's something smaller, like "we managed to confirm which cells cause cancer." Which is still great news, but it's only a small footstep on the total path to finding a cure for cancer. There is an XKCD comic that's relevant, but I can't find it.

In case of this article, though... Well, the results are profound. All subjects who partook in the trial are in complete remission. This is excellent news, and a great indicator of things going the right way, but... the study was only on 12 people, all with a very specific type of cancer. This is a horribly small sample size. Of course, trials for a larger group of people are underway, but until then, I'm... cautiously optimistic at best.

Sounds great, but I'm always a bit skeptic about medical journalism.
Usually, the thing they are reporting on is not as "groundbreaking" as the article makes it seem. It's usually groundbreaking in terms of scientific progress, sure, but not the "we cured cancer forever" type of stuff. Most of the time it's something smaller, like "we managed to confirm which cells cause cancer." Which is still great news, but it's only a small footstep on the total path to finding a cure for cancer. There is an XKCD comic that's relevant, but I can't find it.

In case of this article, though... Well, the results are profound. All subjects who partook in the trial are in complete remission. This is excellent news, and a great indicator of things going the right way, but... the study was only on 12 people, all with a very specific type of cancer. This is a horribly small sample size. Of course, trials for a larger group of people are underway, but until then, I'm... cautiously optimistic at best.
You're absolutely right. Always best to be cautiously optimistic when it comes to cancer research. However this is the first time a study really wowed me.

You're absolutely right. Always best to be cautiously optimistic when it comes to cancer research. However this is the first time a study really wowed me.
Hence, "cautiously optimistic" :biggrin:

It's a great step forwards. I'm eager to see the results of a larger trial.

As a guy who writes on occasion himself, this made me giggle. And older article, but still.

Personal favorite:
“Different. Pure, the monster said. Because I’m… I’ve never…” He looked away again, and the moonlight caught on his throat, outlined his clavicle.

“You’re a virgin,” Shea said, realization dawning. “What a waste.”

Michael blushed.

“If we get out of this alive," she said. "I’m going to fix that.”

Back
Top Bottom