Technology: General Discussion

Crap, looks like one of my external HDD's is dying.. Moving all files atm.

muk0EAe.png

My Teamviewer account just got flagged for “being used commercially”, which is total bs.
RIP TV, time to switch to an alternative. Hopefully Anydesk will suffice.

My Teamviewer account just got flagged for “being used commercially”, which is total bs.
RIP TV, time to switch to an alternative. Hopefully Anydesk will suffice.
Using AnyDesk now, so far so good..

Just got a pricealert for the Samsung external SSD (I had it set to notify when the price is <€150 somewhere)
This store has it for €140, which is actually a steal.. https://www.tones.be/nl/article/126592
I paid €349 last year in February...
It's a Dutch store, so I can only recommend it to @Stybar but I really really do recommend this. You'll never want another portable HDD again.

I was going to post a snide remark saying about how nobody really asked for folding screens, and that it shows that these things are not ready for the market yet, but what he said at the end was completely true.
This is more of a large beta-test, and we should be extremely glad that there is something tangible to test. Over 10 years, these things will be commonplace, who knows.

Still, obligatory "samsung sucks balls" comment.

Well, in my personal opinion...

Samsung is almost as bad as Apple is when it comes to shady business tactics. They also load their phones with a crapton of bloatware, that you'll likely never use, but can never uninstall. Think note-taking apps, fitness apps, camera apps, all that crap. It's excessive, and annoying, and while you won't have this problem on newer phones, on their older stuff it would cause your internal memory to be full in notime. For that reason alone, I never buy Samsung anymore.

LG is pretty solid, but also suffers from the above problem. Less so, but still pretty annoying. They have extremely nice camera's though. The camera on my old G4 was amazing.

Nokia is also making Android phones, and I'm pretty fucking pleased with mine. They offer a nice price/quality balance. Although the specs aren't as high-end as other flagships, they are still decent enough for me to do whatever I want without much problem. Their buildquality is pretty awesome too. They're not the best phones around, but they cost less than 400 euros.
Major sellingpoint for Nokia, however, is the AndroidOne program. This means that they ship their phones with a bare, stock version of Android, which is usually also one of the first to update. If you don't really care much for high-end hardware, make sure to look for phones in this program (others have this too, besides Nokia).

I personally don't trust those Chinese phones, Xiaomi and Huawei. Cheap as hell, while still having decent specs, but I don't know... I've heard stuff about spyware on the things, and I figured I wouldn't want to take the risk if there's a equally low priced alternative on the market with the same specs. That is, of course, under the assumption that other phones don't have spyware as well.

OnePlus is still a decent competitor. I've never owned one myself, but my father, mother AND brother all do. They seem pretty satisfied with theirs, so...

Well, in my personal opinion...

Samsung is almost as bad as Apple is when it comes to shady business tactics. They also load their phones with a crapton of bloatware, that you'll likely never use, but can never uninstall. Think note-taking apps, fitness apps, camera apps, all that crap. It's excessive, and annoying, and while you won't have this problem on newer phones, on their older stuff it would cause your internal memory to be full in notime. For that reason alone, I never buy Samsung anymore.

LG is pretty solid, but also suffers from the above problem. Less so, but still pretty annoying. They have extremely nice camera's though. The camera on my old G4 was amazing.

Nokia is also making Android phones, and I'm pretty fucking pleased with mine. They offer a nice price/quality balance. Although the specs aren't as high-end as other flagships, they are still decent enough for me to do whatever I want without much problem. Their buildquality is pretty awesome too. They're not the best phones around, but they cost less than 400 euros.
Major sellingpoint for Nokia, however, is the AndroidOne program. This means that they ship their phones with a bare, stock version of Android, which is usually also one of the first to update. If you don't really care much for high-end hardware, make sure to look for phones in this program (others have this too, besides Nokia).

I personally don't trust those Chinese phones, Xiaomi and Huawei. Cheap as hell, while still having decent specs, but I don't know... I've heard stuff about spyware on the things, and I figured I wouldn't want to take the risk if there's a equally low priced alternative on the market with the same specs. That is, of course, under the assumption that other phones don't have spyware as well.

OnePlus is still a decent competitor. I've never owned one myself, but my father, mother AND brother all do. They seem pretty satisfied with theirs, so...

Yeah the bloatware is frustrating. I'm guessing Android/LG won't go pure Android as long as companies keep paying them to have apps installed by default.

I definitely do care about the camera, it's the thing I enjoy most on my iPhone.

I get what you're saying about the Chinese brands, it's one corrupt country, why wouldn't something fishy be going on with their phones?

A camera benchmark would be amazing, sadly I can't find anything like that.

Well, I can personaly confirm that the camera on the Nokia 7+ is not bad, but it's less great than the LG G4 (which is 3 years older). I guess benchmarking cameras is a bit tricky, so you'll have to rely on reviews, and those can be pretty subjective... Maybe go to a store, and try them out?

Well, I can personaly confirm that the camera on the Nokia 7+ is not bad, but it's less great than the LG G4 (which is 3 years older). I guess benchmarking cameras is a bit tricky, so you'll have to rely on reviews, and those can be pretty subjective... Maybe go to a store, and try them out?
The Nokia 9 PureView's camera looks really good. Although the Pixel 3 does seem to beat it in low-light conditions. (jaw droppingly good)

vbz6szv.png

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/nokia-9-pureview-review/

Looks like Mozilla decided to ban all extensions with "obscure code", meaning almost all of them. None of my extensions are working at the moment. Damnit.

6mQTceV.png

Today I realized that there's a huge difference within cables.
  • Speaker cables: they are determined by their thickness, the thicker a cable, the better the sound quality. This is dependant on the length of the cable as well. It's how I found out my speaker cables should be 1.5mm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge (16 awg is recommended for my distance)
  • HDMI cables: Go for 2.0, supports 4k at 18GBPS (downside, a 1.5m cable is €15, I need 4)

Yes, there is a difference in cables, but don't fall for the "gold-plated, titanium tipped, true 8k" bullshit cables that'll run up to the quadruple digit zone. The quality in general HDMI cables is pretty much the same. Some might last a bit longer due to better quality plugs, but that's it.

Yes, there is a difference in cables, but don't fall for the "gold-plated, titanium tipped, true 8k" bullshit cables that'll run up to the quadruple digit zone. The quality in general HDMI cables is pretty much the same. Some might last a bit longer due to better quality plugs, but that's it.
While doing research the past hour I concluded that: gold-plated is in fact better, but besides that, just go for any 2.0 cable.
Protip: don't buy this:

E67GISa.png

https://www.amazon.com/WIREWORLD-Platinum-Starlight-18Gbps-Cable/dp/B07CNKQ145/ref=sr_1_1

I mean, for the amount you're getting, 200 is decent.
You're ordering 4 HDMI cables, for 60 in total? That's not half bad, if their quality is good enough.

I mean, for the amount you're getting, 200 is decent.
You're ordering 4 HDMI cables, for 60 in total? That's not half bad, if their quality is good enough.
Time will tell.. Hopefully bol.com didn't screw me.

Back
Top Bottom