Movies: General Discussion

Oh shit, really? I wonder who will play the lead role beside Samuel L Jackson and Christoph Waltz.

No County for Old Men was released exactly 10 years ago today.
Definitely give this movie a try if you've never seen it. It's a personal favorite of mine, even have it on Blu-ray.

So apparently Thor Ragnarok is really good. As in, the director just gave the actors a vague notion of what was going on, and let them go at it on their own, improvising to their hearts content.

Stybar said:
So apparently Thor Ragnarok is really good. As in, the director just gave the actors a vague notion of what was going on, and let them go at it on their own, improvising to their hearts content.
I dunno man, their costumes were pretty bad.

M5hVbwg.png

Downloaded American Made today http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3532216/ supposed to be pretty good, although IMDB rating is only 7.2
Will watch it sometime this weekend.

So I went to the new Star Wars movie yesterday.
A lot of people are angry with it, but I didn't hate it. It's not my favourite SW movie, but it's pretty good.
The problem is that it's really obvious that Disney is aiming for the 12 year old crowd. All the edge is gone. Rey has absolutely 0 flaws, she is the picture perfect Disney princess kids want to be.

There are also some minor gags that just feel out of place. Scenes that would be fucking awesomely badass if nothing happened, but then they put in this tiny gag that completely dissolves any tension there is.

Stybar said:
There are also some minor gags that just feel out of place. Scenes that would be fucking awesomely badass if nothing happened, but then they put in this tiny gag that completely dissolves any tension there is.
We don't wanna scare the 12 year olds! -Disney.

Do you still recommend watching this movie if you're not really a Star Wars fan (like me)?

Not really. Like I said, it's not a bad Star Wars movie, but that's it. It's another Star Wars movie. If you're not a fan of the series, wait until it's available on BR or something.

Stybar said:
Not really. Like I said, it's not a bad Star Wars movie, but that's it. It's another Star Wars movie. If you're not a fan of the series, wait until it's available on BR or something.
Will do cheers.

The Oscars is going to be pretty disappointing I think. Not much good movies have come out of 2017 so far.

Watched Bright last week. First Netflix blockbuster. Official critics were devastating, giving it pretty low rates, but the public were pretty enthusiastic.
It wasn't the movie of the year, sure, but the low ratings the critics give are not deserved either. It's decent. I liked watching it, but it wasn't groundbreaking or stunningly good. I'd recommend it if you already have Netflix, but it's worth getting Netflix specifically to watch it.

Stybar said:
but it's worth getting Netflix specifically to watch it.
Thanks for the advice, buying Netflix now!

Gf's brother is in the country and we're going to the movies Sunday evening. Not sure what to watch though as there's not really anything descent in theaters right now. Maybe Murder On The Orient Express?

Mave said:
Stybar said:

I derped. It should say "it's NOT worth getting Netflix for". I hope you haven't ordered Netflix based on my typo, Mave.

As for good movies... Thor Ragnarok is supposedly pretty good, but I don't think it'll be fun if you don't follow the whole Marvel Universe stuff...
Three Billboards won several Golden Globes, IIRC.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:

I derped. It should say "it's NOT worth getting Netflix for". I hope you haven't ordered Netflix based on my typo, Mave.

As for good movies... Thor Ragnarok is supposedly pretty good, but I don't think it'll be fun if you don't follow the whole Marvel Universe stuff...
Three Billboards won several Golden Globes, IIRC.
Downloading the Golden Globes, will probably download some movies based on the awards.

In case anyone's interested: the Directors Guild of America just released a 3-hour discussion with all five 2018 Oscar nominees for directing this year.

The whole Black Panther thing is bloody ridiculous.
Like whether you like or dislike a movie means you're racist or not racist... I bet the old white movie's producers are laughing their asses off at this entire thing.

mLdPmSF.png

Wait, that's a thing? First I heard of it.

Like I said, the movie isn't bad, it's just not as good as other Marvel movies. Better than some though, no doubt, but the first Avengers movie is still the best for me.

Back
Top Bottom