Technology: General Discussion

6DjKugO.png

And lets' not forget Airbnb

Tech's broken promises: Streaming is now just as expensive and confusing as cable. Ubers cost as much as taxis. And the cloud is no longer cheap

And lets' not forget Airbnb

Tech's broken promises: Streaming is now just as expensive and confusing as cable. Ubers cost as much as taxis. And the cloud is no longer cheap
1692987061999.png

After Google and Dropbox, Microsoft has also quietly discontinued their "unlimited storage" program.
Time to build my own NAS...

@Panki I'd like to hear your opinion about Unraid? Looks interesting since I already have a 16TB, 12TB, 10TB and 8TB lying around. Shucking them would save some money.

What a leak today, poor Microsoft. Someone at FTC definitely is getting fired.

Okay, it's a few days of sales here, and I'm thinking of buying a pair of wireless headphones. Anyone have any recommendations, or advice on why I shouldn't do it?

I've always used in-ears, but I'm getting tired of the constant wires everywhere. Plus, they irritate my ears...

Bonus question: can I use them on my PC? Ideally, I would like one set of wireless headphones, that I can pair with my PC (via USB, preferably), and also with my phone. But I have no idea if that type of thing is even possible?

Okay, it's a few days of sales here, and I'm thinking of buying a pair of wireless headphones. Anyone have any recommendations, or advice on why I shouldn't do it?

I've always used in-ears, but I'm getting tired of the constant wires everywhere. Plus, they irritate my ears...

Bonus question: can I use them on my PC? Ideally, I would like one set of wireless headphones, that I can pair with my PC (via USB, preferably), and also with my phone. But I have no idea if that type of thing is even possible?
If you're okay with wireless, I can highly recommend the Sony WH-1000XM3. Been rocking it since 2019.
The XM3 is no longer available, I also don't see many differences between the 4th and 5th generation. I'd go with 4 therefore.
Comparison link: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/compare/1815448;1562090/

If you're okay with wireless, I can highly recommend the Sony WH-1000XM3. Been rocking it since 2019.
The XM3 is no longer available, I also don't see many differences between the 4th and 5th generation. I'd go with 4 therefore.
Comparison link: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/compare/1815448;1562090/
Welp, in the end I went for the Sennheiser Momentum 4. It's the main competitor for the XM4/5 series, based on the reviews. They mention the ANC is a bit less good, but the sound quality is better. And since I always used Sennheiser, and am kinda used to that level of sound quality, it was an easy choice.

That, and I managed to nab a 30% discount on them through my work.

Welp, in the end I went for the Sennheiser Momentum 4. It's the main competitor for the XM4/5 series, based on the reviews. They mention the ANC is a bit less good, but the sound quality is better. And since I always used Sennheiser, and am kinda used to that level of sound quality, it was an easy choice.

That, and I managed to nab a 30% discount on them through my work.
Looked it up and damn.. solid choice! It gets great reviews.

Looked it up and damn.. solid choice! It gets great reviews.
Welp, I've been using it for a week now, and my initial feelings about it seem to match with the reviews. It's great! the sound quality is excellent. The form and fit is good too - even for my massive head.

The controls are a bit iffy, though. The tap/swipe/double tap actions all work, but sometimes it has some issues with it. I think it's partially because of the on-head recognition... I put the headphones on only one ear, and then switch to both ears, and it thinks I just put them down. Which then causes the buttons to not work, obviously. Also, the double tap to switch ANC, and single tap to play/pause is a bit weird. Both work, but at the same time. Double tap to switch, and suddenly your song is paused as well.

Connectivity works great. it connects to both my PC and my phone at the same time, and switching between them is as easy as pressing play. You can only connect to two devices simultaneously, but can store multiple paired devices. I've hooked it up to my PC, phone, and work laptop, and it's able to switch between the three pretty easily. The only issue I've had is with Teams on my work laptop, but apparently that's a common issue with Teams - listening to audio from my laptop works fine.

The ANC isn't amazing, it must be said. It works, and it does mute most surrounding sounds, but it has issues with wind noise and recognizing rustling clothes as noise. Especially when you turn the adaptive ANC on, it struggles. It keeps switching between fully isolated and complete transparency on the drop of a hat, as if it can't properly recognize the surroundings. Wind noise? Fully open. Bump the headphones into a scarf? Fully open.

But, the main drawing point for this particular pair is that Sennheiser sound quality. It's absolutely stunning. I hear sounds and tones in my music I haven't heard before. Subtle bass lines or instrumentals come through crystal clear. Sennheiser always say that sound quality is their primary target when making equipment, and while that may be a marketing gimmick, it absolutely shines through in these headphones. Are there other brands who do it better? Probably - but for this price? And with this usability? Outside of the really high-end, professional gear, these things are some of the best.

Welp, I've been using it for a week now, and my initial feelings about it seem to match with the reviews. It's great! the sound quality is excellent. The form and fit is good too - even for my massive head.

The controls are a bit iffy, though. The tap/swipe/double tap actions all work, but sometimes it has some issues with it. I think it's partially because of the on-head recognition... I put the headphones on only one ear, and then switch to both ears, and it thinks I just put them down. Which then causes the buttons to not work, obviously. Also, the double tap to switch ANC, and single tap to play/pause is a bit weird. Both work, but at the same time. Double tap to switch, and suddenly your song is paused as well.

Connectivity works great. it connects to both my PC and my phone at the same time, and switching between them is as easy as pressing play. You can only connect to two devices simultaneously, but can store multiple paired devices. I've hooked it up to my PC, phone, and work laptop, and it's able to switch between the three pretty easily. The only issue I've had is with Teams on my work laptop, but apparently that's a common issue with Teams - listening to audio from my laptop works fine.

The ANC isn't amazing, it must be said. It works, and it does mute most surrounding sounds, but it has issues with wind noise and recognizing rustling clothes as noise. Especially when you turn the adaptive ANC on, it struggles. It keeps switching between fully isolated and complete transparency on the drop of a hat, as if it can't properly recognize the surroundings. Wind noise? Fully open. Bump the headphones into a scarf? Fully open.

But, the main drawing point for this particular pair is that Sennheiser sound quality. It's absolutely stunning. I hear sounds and tones in my music I haven't heard before. Subtle bass lines or instrumentals come through crystal clear. Sennheiser always say that sound quality is their primary target when making equipment, and while that may be a marketing gimmick, it absolutely shines through in these headphones. Are there other brands who do it better? Probably - but for this price? And with this usability? Outside of the really high-end, professional gear, these things are some of the best.
Damnit, even after your post I still really want these whenever my Sony breaks. Which can take.. years 😅

Back
Top Bottom