[Serious] Should Cannabis be illegal, or legal?

F

[FF]TeddyBear

Ok no one ever has died from it ever, you are never able to OD on it, however the scientists reckon you can become a schizophrenic if smoked over a long period of time.

There are symptoms such as being lazy the day after and such, but is it all really that bad? I mean, It's a natural plant, it grows like that, why cant people have legal access to it? There are far worse drugs then Cannabis, like heroin, speed, LSD, which can fuck you up badly, so why is it illegal to smoke something that won't "fuck you up"?

Re: Should Cannabis be illegal, or legal?

Should be legalised. The native Americans used this too. It just heals people. Having cannabis is not that bad, it actually makes you feel very good, and it doesn't fuck up your brain too much. I'm Dutch, this is daily life for people here. Every Dutch man has smoked cannabis before the age of 17.

Here in the Netherlands it's already tolerated, not legal though.
So I don't really care :tongue:

i believe it should but have same restrictions as alcohol

^ I don't think it's easy to measure cannabis somehow.

I was looking at the reasons of why it is illegal:

1. It is perceived as addictive.
Apart from this being not true, so is tobacco. However if you want to play it that way, alcohol can be "perceived" as addictive.

2. It has "no accepted medical use."
Again that is untrue, why do you think doctors assign it for help with pain? Also, tobacco has "no accepted medical use" either.

3. It has been historically linked with narcotics, such as heroin.
So has tobacco. However, you only hear about the marijuana. Great marketing, isn't it? Let's all sell cancer sticks!

4. It is associated with unfashionable lifestyles.
Drunks will beg to differ.

5. It was once associated with oppressed ethnic groups.
Is that talking about hippies...? I think drunk abusers are more of a problem.

6. Inertia is a powerful force in public policy.
Definition of Inertia: "to be inactive". Apparently this means that it's been illegal for so long that people think of it as a form of evil.

7. Advocates for marijuana legalization rarely present an appealing case.
That, sir, is because they're stoned. What kind of case did Alcohol or tobacco actives present?

Actual reason of ban
- In a nutshell, it's saying the government can't profit from marijuana.
William Randolph Hearst (Citizen Kane) and the Hearst Paper Manufacturing Division of Kimberly Clark owned vast acreage of timberlands. The Hearst Company supplied most paper products. Patty Hearst's grandfather, a destroyer of nature for his own personal profit, stood to lose billions because of hemp.

In 1937, Dupont patented the processes to make plastics from oil and coal. Dupont's Annual Report urged stockholders to invest in its new petrochemical division. Synthetics such as plastics, cellophane, celluloid, methanol, nylon, rayon, Dacron, etc., could now be made from oil. Natural hemp industrialization would have ruined over 80% of Dupont's business.

Andrew Mellon became Hoover's Secretary of the Treasury and Dupont's primary investor. He appointed his future nephew-in-law, Harry J. Anslinger, to head the Federal Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.

Secret meetings were held by these financial tycoons. Hemp was declared dangerous and a threat to their billion dollar enterprises. For their dynasties to remain intact, hemp had to go. These men took an obscure Mexican slang word: 'marihuana' and pushed it into the consciousness of America.

My opinion, being an anarchist of course, is that Cannabis should be legalized. It should never have been illegal in the first place. The reasons it was made illegal are the exact reason that everyone is yelling "GLOBAL WARMING"!

Hmm. I smoke it, but I don't know if it should be legalized.
It should be legalized because I don't have to be stressy for cops coming around the corner, etc ...
I can't find a reason why it should be illegal, lol.

:rasta:

[TMS]Nimphious said:
There are symptoms such as being lazy the day after and such, but is it all really that bad? I mean, It's a natural plant, it grows like that, why cant people have legal access to it? There are far worse drugs then Cannabis, like heroin, speed, LSD, which can fuck you up badly, so why is it illegal to smoke something that won't "fuck you up"?

Cannabis can also fuck you up. Cause the one they grow now in shops (Holland, where it's legalized with restrictions) has to many THC (the thing you get stoned/high from). And heroin and coke comes also from a natural plant, lol.

The best they can point out is: "You can abuse it" You can abuse a goddamn cheeseburger if you eat it too much. I personally like that it's illegel. Then people understand the real meaning of it. It should be decriminalized though. Then the prices would drop and I would feel safer to smoke.

When they first made it illegal, they didn't even know what was the thing they illegalize. A group of people sent a request to make "Marijuana" illegel. Marijuana was actually somekinda coffee plant back then. Now they just don't want to legalize it because it openes peoples minds and they would loose their power over the people.
(by they i meant the goverment)

I think it should be legalized.

Look at the physical harm:

300px-Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_%28mean_physical_harm_and_mean_dependence%29.svg.png

It's the 2nd less harmful thing available!

Take out the heroin, put in Cannabis.. WORLD PEACE :biggrin:

Personally I think the government just doesn't realise how much money they could make if they put a tax on it

ThePro said:
Anyways, is cannabis adicting?

To some people it is, to some it's not.

I have friends that can't stop doing it, but I never got hooked on it. I do it sometimes with my friends on special occasions or whatever but I don't do it all the time

the problem with cannabis is "ah it's just weed, it's not that bad" but before you know, you smoke every day 2 spliffs and when you don't have one, you will get bored etc..

i smoke it in the weekends, i'm glad i did that because i was doing it every day and my mind got f*cked up (lazy all the time, was always bored when i didn't have a spliff,..)

anyways, it's awesome :whistling:

waffelz said:
the problem with cannabis is "ah it's just weed, it's not that bad" but before you know, you smoke every day 2 spliffs and when you don't have one, you will get bored etc..

That didnt happen to me at all
You just need self control...

GPow69 said:
waffelz said:

That didnt happen to me at all
You just need self control...

Last edited:

I smoked a lot of weed a while back. The first few times was fun, and after that it started fucking me up. I started having Really bad trips and for days after I was suicidal. I would just wake up in the middle of the night feeling that I had to take my life to make this feeling go away. Ether that or try to avoid it and bike or walk for miles. At night it was somewhat bearable because I knew if I went back to sleep I would feel better in the morning. It took ours to go to sleep though. When I'd get these urges in the day I would just sit there for hours drawing on myself, something like "never again". The majority of it has passed now, thank god, but I still have a hard time reading my emotions. I felt psychotic. I think I'm slowly coming back to my old self, I'm not sure. It's also what got me smoking cigarettes.

That in mind, I'm an exception. I have a friend who suffers from chronic depression (so the therapist says). She even tried to overdose once, spent a few nights in hospital with a tube down her throat. She told me "the only time I am 100% happy is when I'm high". Even when not used as a pain killer, I have a lot of pothead friends who simply enjoy it.

I don't think it should be illegal, it probably should be legalized. But I do think people have got to make a choice to use it wisely. Do not abuse drugs, is all I'm saying.

Nice story, I doubt I'll never go further than doing it like twice a year or so then. Because that's about the frequency I can get it from my relatives.

OMG Necro!!!

The thing is too much of anything is bad (except sex ofc) Too much weed can probably be harmful, but not as harmful as too much heroin.

I smoked for years, several of those years I smoked 24/7. I gave it up because the type of work I do, but have tried it again on several occasions and the effects were anything but enjoyable.

Funny how it's not the same, can't quite understand why, must be a change in my brain chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom