GTA V General Discussion Thread

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
With only a little bit over a month left before the releaes date (September 17th) I thought it'd be a good idea to have a GTA V discussion thread.

LpMO0Ai.png

General Information

• Release date: September 17th
  • Release platforms: PS3, Xbox360
  • PC version has not yet been announced

Story & Setting

• The game focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present-day Southern California. (Los Santos)
  • There are three lead characters.
  • There are multiple endings to the story, which depend on the decisions you make throughout the game.
  • The game takes place in the present day (2012-13).
  • Many cities and districts in Los Angeles County have been recreated in GTAV. These include, but are not limited to: Hollywood (Vinewood), Downtown Los Angeles (Downtown Los Santos), Koreatown (Little Seoul), Venice (Vespucci) and Santa Monica.
  • For the first time in the series, the GTAV map is open from the beginning, with the exception of some protected areas.
  • The setting includes a fully explorable ocean floor.

Gameplay & Missions

• You can switch between the three main characters at any point when not on a mission. When you switch, the camera zooms out into the sky and then back down to the character that you switched to.
  • There is a functioning ecosystem teeming with wildlife. Dogs, bears, sharks and other animals are confirmed.
  • A lot of new side activities are available, including yoga, hunting, jet sking, base-jumping, cycling, tennis and golfing (on a full golf course!). Bowling, Strip Clubs, Live comedy and in-game TV make a return. Internet Cafes won't however.
  • Friends won't call you as often as they did in GTAIV. The phone is more streamlined and used for things like emails and Internet browsing.
  • Random character encounters, similar to those featured in GTA IV, will feature in the game. This time there is a greater variety of encounters and the characters are all fully motion captured.
  • Dynamic missions, similar to Red Dead's "Random World Events", make a return. Examples include characters with broken down cars, a hitch hiker, or two parked cars with dead bodies around them - which you can investigate to initiate dynamic missions.
  • Dynamic "state machines" were coded in the game, allowing non-playable characters to go about their daily lives. For example, you may see gardeners and cleaners waiting at the bus stop in the morning, and then find them tending the gardens and houses in the game's fictional Beverly Hills later on in the day.
  • Dynamic music is featured during missions, similar to Rockstar's previous games Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire.
  • Of the main storyline missions, there'll be several complex missions focussed on heists in style of "Three Leaf Clover" from GTAIV. One mission involves robbing a high-end jewellery store in the GTAV equivalent of Rodeo Drive (in Beverly Hills).
  • Sometimes during missions, the character switching is scripted and happens automatically.
  • Some heists will require hiring crew members in order to be executed. These characters specialize in different areas such as wheelman, gunman, technician, and so on.
  • A certain amount of money will be needed in order to gain access to some missions.
  • It's possible to leave a trail of gasoline and ignite it.
  • Mulitplayer mode is confirmed

Vehicles & Weapons

• GTA V will feature the largest selection of vehicles in any GTA game.
  • Unlike previous games, cargo space can be used to seat characters - it is no longer just empty space.
  • Convertible cars with functional roofs are confirmed.
  • Jet-skis are among the new vehicles to feature in GTAV.
  • Several aircraft can be flown, including helicopters, sea planes, crop dusters, private jets, military jets and for the first time in the series, blimps.
  • Vehicle physics have been updated. "The cars hold to the ground a bit better," says Rockstar. It now feels more like a racing game, compared to GTA IV where they felt "big and boatlike".
  • Weapon selection has been overhauled: You now select your weapons from a weapon wheel.
  • Weapons can be customized. In the debut trailer, three (silenced) AK-47s are shown with minor differences between them.
  • Variable targeting options including free aim, soft lock, and hard lock (similar to Max Payne 3.)
  • Ammu-Nation gun stores make a return to the series.

Soundtrack: Confirmed Songs

Fan-created map (should be pretty close to final map)
(source http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=491242)

gNdIjij.jpg
1LlV40H.jpg

zFqlPE6.jpg
0tsn1Gz.jpg

Let the discussion begin.

Re: The GTA V Discussion Thread

I'm seriously thinking of buying this on PS3. The PC version isn't confirmed yet, and I really like the things listed here. Perhaps I'll buy it on PS3 when the PC version is definitively denied.

Stybar said:
I'm seriously thinking of buying this on PS3. The PC version isn't confirmed yet, and I really like the things listed here. Perhaps I'll buy it on PS3 when the PC version is definitively denied.
Already pre-ordered it on PS3. I could never wait 8 months (that's the average it took Rockstar to release a PC edition)

Paintings @ Figueroa Hotel, Los Angeles

lfAd6sn.png

xkU07Ou.jpg

Fries said:
it took me hours to drive around GTA4. Jesus Christ.

This'll be fun when you're on one end of the island, and you have to get to the other end.
Or worse, "Kill the target" on the other side of the map, and he's fucking difficult to get, so you have to redo the mission a couple of times. Which makes you go back and forth a couple of times.
*Shudder*

Stybar said:
Fries said:

This'll be fun when you're on one end of the island, and you have to get to the other end.
Or worse, "Kill the target" on the other side of the map, and he's fucking difficult to get, so you have to redo the mission a couple of times. Which makes you go back and forth a couple of times.
*Shudder*

At least we now have planes.

Mave said:
Stybar said:
Fries said:

*Shudder*

Still, remember how boringly dull it was to take a jet and fly from Los Santos to Las Venturas? Now remember that GTA V is at least three times bigger. Imagine flying from one end to another end.
(I compare to SA because I played SA way more the GTA IV, and the maps are about the same size)

I think that is part of the driver behind the "3-person switch" gameplay. I'm guessing it will be faster to just switch to another character who already is on the other side of the map.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:
Fries said:

*Shudder*

Still, remember how boringly dull it was to take a jet and fly from Los Santos to Las Venturas? Now remember that GTA V is at least three times bigger. Imagine flying from one end to another end.
(I compare to SA because I played SA way more the GTA IV, and the maps are about the same size)

I think that is part of the driver behind the "3-person switch" gameplay. I'm guessing it will be faster to just switch to another character who already is on the other side of the map.

But this time the landscape will be majestic, I guess whilest flying I'll be trying to pick up a deer with my wings, exploring special locations/houses etc.
Also in SA you had the possibility of buying a plane ticket IIRC, since V has only one airport (confirmed so far) this might not be the case..

Mave said:
Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:
Fries said:

*Shudder*

But this time the landscape will be majestic, I guess whilest flying I'll be trying to pick up a deer with my wings, exploring special locations/houses etc.
Also in SA you had the possibility of buying a plane ticket IIRC, since V has only one airport (confirmed so far) this might not be the case..

I guess. But since getting a plane ticket was expensive, I just entered the airport, stole a jet and parachuted out when I reached my destination.

Let's just hope it'll work out.

^ This is insanely awesome. Cannot freaking wait.

Back
Top Bottom