General music discussion thread

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
We already had a discussion thread for movies and tv series, but realized today there was no place yet to discuss music in general.
Therefore welcome to the general music discussion thread, where we'll discuss just about anything about music. :thumbsup:

I'm ashamed to say this, but before today I had only ever heard "Killing in the name of" by Rage Against The Machine.
Downloaded all their albums and haven't really found a song yet I didn't like. God I love their style.

I'm guessing you only know of "Killing in the Name of" because of GTA:SA?

Since my car only has a cassette player, I'm making a new playlist of songs, that instantly make you sing along without shame and crank it up until your ears bleed. Any advice or tips? So far, I got this (note, it can only be 90 minutes, max):
A
01. Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son
02. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
03. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
04. AC/DC - School Days
05. AC/DC - Shoot to Thrill
06. AC/DC - Riff Raff
07. The Rumjacks - An Irish Pub Song
08. Dropkick Murphys - The Season's Upon Us (for those bonus Chrismas points)
B
09. Alestorm - Nancy the Tavern Wench
10. Volbeat - Sad Man's Tongue
11. Elvenking - King of the Elves
12. Disturbed - Decadence
13. Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack
14. Black Sabbath - War Pigs
15. Wolfmother - Joker & The Thief
16. Diable Blvd. - Between the Hammer and the Holy Cross
17. Muse - Knights of Cydonia

This is still very much a work in progress. I'm pretty happy with like 60% of the songs, the other 40%, I'm still looking for a replacement. Also, the timing is off, as the second part is too long.

Stybar said:
A
01. Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son
02. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
03. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
04. AC/DC - School Days
05. AC/DC - Shoot to Thrill
06. AC/DC - Riff Raff
07. The Rumjacks - An Irish Pub Song
08. Dropkick Murphys - The Season's Upon Us (for those bonus Chrismas points)
B
09. Alestorm - Nancy the Tavern Wench
10. Volbeat - Sad Man's Tongue
11. Elvenking - King of the Elves
12. Disturbed - Decadence
13. Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack
14. Black Sabbath - War Pigs
15. Wolfmother - Joker & The Thief
16. Diable Blvd. - Between the Hammer and the Holy Cross
17. Muse - Knights of Cydonia

That's a damn good selection.
Why not get one of these?

T235Ohu.jpg

Because apparently the audio quality is super awful.
Besides, there is something fun about making a mixtape. Finding hidden gems in your music collection (not all my music is on my phone)

Stybar said:
Because apparently the audio quality is super awful.
Besides, there is something fun about making a mixtape. Finding hidden gems in your music collection (not all my music is on my phone)
Ah had no idea.
And that's true, but I believe it's pretty personal. Some suggestions from me though:

• Stealer's Wheel - Stuck In The Middle With You
  • The Stranglers - Golden Brown
  • The Ramones - Blitzkreig Bop
  • 10cc - Dreadlock Holiday

If you like the ones I listed above let me know and I'll list a ton more.

Stybar said:
I'm guessing you only know of "Killing in the Name of" because of GTA:SA?

Yup, GTA really opened my world multiple times music-wise.

Thanks for the tips, but I had Stealer's Wheel on a previous mixtape already, and I've gotten quiet sick of hearing it.

Stybar said:
Thanks for the tips, but I had Stealer's Wheel on a previous mixtape already, and I've gotten quiet sick of hearing it.

Let me suggest some more classics:

• Black Betty - Ram Jam
  • Eagles - Hotel California
  • Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone
  • The Kids - There Will Be No Next Time
  • The Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays
  • The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
  • Earth, Wind and Fire - September
  • Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
  • Van Morrison - Gloria

Keep em coming Mave. I'm getting so good inspirations from this :biggrin:

Stybar said:
Keep em coming Mave. I'm getting so good inspirations from this :biggrin:

• Sniff 'n The Tears - Driver's Seat
  • The Knack - My Sharona
  • Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
  • Iggy Pop - The Passenger
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son
  • Bruce Springsteen - Streets Of Philadelphia
  • Laid Back - Sunshine Reggae

These are all part of my "classic collection" btw, I'm just scrolling down the playlist and picking the best ones from top to bottom.

Listened pretty much to the entire Daft Punk discography yeterday. God damnit their first stuff was pure genius.

Make sure to check out Interestella 5555! It's a movie, but without any dialogue. Instead, the entire Discovery album is the only audio. It's pretty much a 1 hour music video.

Stybar said:
Make sure to check out Interestella 5555! It's a movie, but without any dialogue. Instead, the entire Discovery album is the only audio. It's pretty much a 1 hour music video.
Cool, will do. Thanks Sty!

Stumbled upon this video where Jack White explains how he discovered Seven Nation Army.

Made me realize I never explored The White Stripes or Jack White apart from Seven Nation Army, I know what I'm listening to the next couple of days.

You should check out The Raconteurs. IMO vastly superior to White Stripes.

Stybar said:
You should check out The Raconteurs. IMO vastly superior to White Stripes.
Will do, thanks for the tip!

A new Gorillaz song is out.. after 6 years. I really hope this is not a preview of what's to come, but rather something silly to launch right before Donald Trump's inauguration. (because I hate it)

That was... weird. It sounds like a Gorillaz song, but then the video is completely different, and the text are unlike any other song by them ever.
Note that it's not uploaded on a Gorillaz channel, but UPROXX. I have no idea what their connection is to Gorillaz, but I find no other music video of them on that channel.

Might be a spoof.

Going to see Depeche Mode live next week.
Was actually a gift for the gf's mom birthday, but she can't go.. Not a disaster because I can really enjoy me some Personal Jesus.

REACH OUT AND TOUCH ME

Gorillaz dropped their new album a couple of days ago. Kinda went under my radar, I picked up the 4 dropped songs a few weeks ago, but the album went by without me noticing.

Stybar said:
Gorillaz dropped their new album a couple of days ago. Kinda went under my radar, I picked up the 4 dropped songs a few weeks ago, but the album went by without me noticing.
Same here, was listening to the radio yesterday when they said "the new Gorillaz songs released last week" I was like wut?
Anyway are they any good? Can't listen to them now.

Back
Top Bottom