Collection Brilliant cover songs

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Sometimes a cover of a song can 100% rape the original song and the performer should be promptly executed. However every now and then a cover is so good that the original performer approves. That is what this thread is all about.

I'll be adding new "Brilliant Covers" as I discover them myself.

Last edited:
First Aid Kit - America
Performed in front of Paul Simon himself! The man obviously approves as he's the first one to stand up and start applauding.
And let's be honest, the cover is absolutely beautiful.

Original song:

Simon & Garfunkel - America

Next up is Nirvana with a David Bowie cover. (I like this more than the original)

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

Original song:

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World

It's very interesting how almost everyone likes Nirvana's cover. Meanwhile I'm all here thinking that it's not that impressive, actually disliking it a little!

Here's another cover of the said song by Midge Ure, this was also in MGS V.

It's very interesting how almost everyone likes Nirvana's cover. Meanwhile I'm all here thinking that it's not that impressive, actually disliking it a little!

Here's another cover of the said song by Midge Ure, this was also in MGS V.

Might also be fanboyism, Nirvana is/was the definition of cool. Hell, I love them myself. And I also heard their version long before I heard Bowie's.

Interesting version you posted, I like it more than Bowie's! Sounds more pure (Bowie's sounds like a massive filter is on top of his voice)

(Bowie's sounds like a massive filter is on top of his voice)
I can agree with that. After listening that song I might actually have to take back my words and admit that in this case Nirvana did it better. :biggrin: In this case I would say it's Midge Ure > Nirvana > Original!

BUT then there's this acoustic version of the song sung by Bowie himself.

Does this still count as a cover though? :biggrin:

I can agree with that. After listening that song I might actually have to take back my words and admit that in this case Nirvana did it better. :biggrin: In this case I would say it's Midge Ure > Nirvana > Original!

BUT then there's this acoustic version of the song sung by Bowie himself.

Does this still count as a cover though? :biggrin:

This is much, much better!! And don't really think so, since it's the same artist. But I love this version.

Not really a known fact, but Johnny Cash's "Hurt" is actually a cover from Nine Inch Nails.. In this case the cover blows the original away.

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Origina:

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

Decided to create some TMS Essentials playlists on Spotify.
As this thread grows with more Brilliant Covers, I'll keep adding them to the Spotify playlist.
Structure is always: First the cover, then the original song.

Last edited:
Daft Punk - Get Lucky

This cover by George Barnett is really good! I really like how this cover has it's own thing going, instead of how normally covers would go.

Original

That is a proper cover indeed. Kudos to him for not only singing, but recreating every single sound in the song! Sadly I can't add this to the Spotify playlist (the guy is not on Spotify)

All Along The Watchtower

Never really liked Bob Dylan's version to be honest.

Cover by Jimi Hendrix

Original by Bob Dylan (no youtube link available)

^i love that so much, can't describe...

Time for an electronic classic

Cover:

Original:

^ That was impressive to say the least!

Mr Tambourine Man was originally from Bob Dylan, I however really prefer The Byrds' version.

Original:

My favorite cover is DevilDriver's version of SAIL, although I can understand that many of you won't like it (it's very heavy metal).

original:

This is also a great cover. Really surprising considering some other music Disturbed is known for.

The Sound of Silence (Disturbed version)

Original:

Discovered a new one today: "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" by Nirvana.

Nirvana Cover: Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night

Original: Leadbelly - Where Did you Sleep Last Night

Back
Top Bottom