[Serious] The world without electricity

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
2ic1wyq.jpg

I was thinking what the world would be like if there's no electricity at all, the world without electricity.
Imagine if Michael Faraday didn't "invent" (more like discover) electricity, Thomas Edison didn't continue to invent light bulb, and so on...

Assume that you are depending much on electricity and then suddenly electricity went off from the world.

How do you think the world would suddenly look like, what would you do?

Re: The world without electricity

The world without electricity? Damn hard to picture that. Everything relies on electricity, more things are starting to depend on the internet.
But the questions like "what if the ARPAnet project wasn't continued... would there be the internet?" or such are really fascinating and give you some material to think about. Without electricity we wouldn't have 90% of the modern day comfortabilities. Life would basically stop, stop, stop.

My grandparents' house once was a subject to a power failure and a big shutdown at the local station. It was winter time and there was basically nothing to do indoors. At night everything was so dark you couldn't see anything. And there was no reflection from any source of light from anything whatsoever so your eyes couldn't get "comfortable" with the darkness.

If electricity disappeared it would be taking humans back to time before the second industrial revolution. People would lose their minds, everything would be turned upside down. If there was some sort of a documentary about this I would sure like to see it. But this is a really wide concept of making electricity disappear and what it would cause.

I think our greatest loss would be the ability to interact globally.

Communities would, once again, become localized and isolated.
The advancement of technology and science and would slow to a crawl and news of the wider world would be almost impossible. Religion would definitely rise and aristocracy would follow.

We would fall back some sort of a dark age.

That's how I imagine it.

novokyiv said:
You should watch Revolution. Its plot is pretty much this.
Is it any good? Heard about it, but I don't know if I should watch it or not.

Stybar said:
novokyiv said:
You should watch Revolution. Its plot is pretty much this.
Is it any good? Heard about it, but I don't know if I should watch it or not.
I only saw the first few episodes and I found the plot intriguing. America falls and splits into territory owned by various nations and warlords. It goes into life after fifteen years of blackout, but there are these science-fiction-fantasy-ish elements, like this magic electricity trinket that somebody's looking after.
Further than that, I can't say. Gotta get back to the yarring sites and download to see :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom