Series: General Discussion

Rescue Rangers on Disney+ has been 16x9 cropped.. WHY???

tMRlqZi.jpeg

They did the same with The Simpsons... Even cutting off some jokes that were on the top half of the screen in the OG 4:3 screen.

This is a goddamn disgrace.
but MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
At least, that's what the Disney exec's say. They don't give a flying fuck about creativity or jokes.

Speaking of Disney, though... I finished the second season of The Mandalorian. And... It's good.
Really, really good. It's some of the best media to ever come out of the Star Wars universe. Even my GF enjoyed watching it, so I can verify that it's great for people who aren't into Star Wars as well... up to a certain point, anyway.
There are several characters and names thrown into the second season that only make sense to people who know what they mean. And for the most part it's not that much of a problem, except for one thing that can be a bit tricky to understand unless you know the importance of it. And no, I won't spoil it here.

Two key points I do kinda want to address, though: Bill Burr's performance was insanely good. There is one very tense scene where he absolutely nails his role. Latino Nathan Fillion Pedro Pascal's perfomance, even though his face is largely hidden by his helmet, was also great.
Second point is that the budget for the CGI went straight into the final episode - to great effect. There are some insanely amazing shots in there. Although, as in the first season, they mostly rely on physical props, instead of CGI. Which is a great decision, make no mistake. But those Dark Trooper shots in the final episode, man...

Seriously, this series is definitely worth a watch.

but MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
At least, that's what the Disney exec's say. They don't give a flying fuck about creativity or jokes.

Speaking of Disney, though... I finished the second season of The Mandalorian. And... It's good.
Really, really good. It's some of the best media to ever come out of the Star Wars universe. Even my GF enjoyed watching it, so I can verify that it's great for people who aren't into Star Wars as well... up to a certain point, anyway.
There are several characters and names thrown into the second season that only make sense to people who know what they mean. And for the most part it's not that much of a problem, except for one thing that can be a bit tricky to understand unless you know the importance of it. And no, I won't spoil it here.

Two key points I do kinda want to address, though: Bill Burr's performance was insanely good. There is one very tense scene where he absolutely nails his role. Latino Nathan Fillion Pedro Pascal's perfomance, even though his face is largely hidden by his helmet, was also great.
Second point is that the budget for the CGI went straight into the final episode - to great effect. There are some insanely amazing shots in there. Although, as in the first season, they mostly rely on physical props, instead of CGI. Which is a great decision, make no mistake. But those Dark Trooper shots in the final episode, man...

Seriously, this series is definitely worth a watch.
Hmm you make me wanna watch it. Never liked Star Wars before, but your description makes it sound appealing.

Hmm you make me wanna watch it. Never liked Star Wars before, but your description makes it sound appealing.
Like I said, GF isn't a Star Wars fan either, but she likes The Mandalorian. It's not really a Star Wars show, it's just a show that's set in the Star Wars universe.

Like I said, GF isn't a Star Wars fan either, but she likes The Mandalorian. It's not really a Star Wars show, it's just a show that's set in the Star Wars universe.
Pretty genius move by Disney imo

So, I'm currently watching James May's series where he goes to explore Japan. It's great. It's just 6 45-minute episodes of James May being James May. Oh, and there are some great shots of Japan, or whatever.

But really, if you like the old Top Gear and The Grand Tour, I recommend this. It might not have Clarkson or Hammond, but it's hilarious nonetheless.

So, I'm currently watching James May's series where he goes to explore Japan. It's great. It's just 6 45-minute episodes of James May being James May. Oh, and there are some great shots of Japan, or whatever.

But really, if you like the old Top Gear and The Grand Tour, I recommend this. It might not have Clarkson or Hammond, but it's hilarious nonetheless.
I totally forgot about this! Thanks for reminding me, saw a clip of May refusing to enter a bar where the barmaids were dressed up as schoolgirls? cats? a few months ago and downloaded the series, but forgot to actually watch it :biggrin:

I totally forgot about this! Thanks for reminding me, saw a clip of May refusing to enter a bar where the barmaids were dressed up as schoolgirls? cats? a few months ago and downloaded the series, but forgot to actually watch it :biggrin:
Haven't gotten to the barmaids episode yet, but I can see that happening.
The whole series feels.. genuine, if that makes sense. There is obviously a planning to the trip, and events that are arranged, but most of it is something that he has no idea of. And then they just film his reactions, which are iconic.
The part in the luxury train where he eats a piece of food, and is then immediately chastised because he wasn't supposed to eat it, for example

Haven't gotten to the barmaids episode yet, but I can see that happening.
The whole series feels.. genuine, if that makes sense. There is obviously a planning to the trip, and events that are arranged, but most of it is something that he has no idea of. And then they just film his reactions, which are iconic.
The part in the luxury train where he eats a piece of food, and is then immediately chastised because he wasn't supposed to eat it, for example
Damnit couldn't contain myself and read the spoiler. Looking forward to binging this mini series soon :biggrin:

Such a disappointment when I found out that Aladdin wasn't on Disney+...
I really loved that TV series as a kid.

Such a disappointment when I found out that Aladdin wasn't on Disney+...
I really loved that TV series as a kid.
There was a TV series?? I know there were several movies, but I didn't know about a TV series...

Man, that animation quality is really... different from the movies, huh?

I suppose it was just a quick moneygrab from Disney.

Currently re-watching NCIS, I'm surprised at how well it aged, gf and me are really enjoying it.
The chemistry between the characters is great. Also I completely forgot this, but McGee and Ziva are both not really in the picture yet. (we've seen McGee only two episodes, no trace of Ziva yet)
Currently at episode S01E11.

Currently re-watching NCIS, I'm surprised at how well it aged, gf and me are really enjoying it.
The chemistry between the characters is great. Also I completely forgot this, but McGee and Ziva are both not really in the picture yet. (we've seen McGee only two episodes, no trace of Ziva yet)
Currently at episode S01E11.
Man, I used to love that show. Aren't they at season 21 or something, by now?

Man, I used to love that show. Aren't they at season 21 or something, by now?
Season 18 atm. Sadly by that season the cast has changed quite a bit. Though I've never saw any of the later seasons, and Gibbs is still there.

Motherfucker will still be catching bad guys from beyond the grave, at this point.

His Dark Materials is based on the books with the same name, like The Golden Compass movie. But, this is actually good. The acting is good, the story is good, the filming is good, the CGI is good.

It's not my favorite series ever, but I do recommend watching it.

Motherfucker will still be catching bad guys from beyond the grave, at this point.

His Dark Materials is based on the books with the same name, like The Golden Compass movie. But, this is actually good. The acting is good, the story is good, the filming is good, the CGI is good.

It's not my favorite series ever, but I do recommend watching it.
Lol I thought you were talking about Gibbs' dark materials. And thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom