Series: General Discussion

Dude has absolutely zero shame. Which is amazing, and hilarious.

Also, if you're to believe what he said in the Hot Ones episode, he tapes for a fucking hour with his guests, only to use 5 minutes.
Now I want to see the full hour.

One of my biggest gripes with this show.

uIoiRWL.jpg

Remember in the first episode, one of the kids asks "are we being punished?"

We laughed, at that time. But by the end of the series, by god, we were wondering the same thing.

Remember in the first episode, one of the kids asks "are we being punished?"

We laughed, at that time. But by the end of the series, by god, we were wondering the same thing.
It's also one of those series I simply cannot watch a second time.

So, me and the GF recently watched Cursed, a Netflix original that was on #1 trending for quite a while.

And I don't know how it got there. It really wasn't that good... The most interesting thing about the whole series are the side characters and the subplots. The main plot, of the Main Character coming into power as the Queen, and liberating her people, just kinda... goes along. It has only a few twists and turns, but in the end it just... goes nowhere.
In the end, it's the side characters who make things happen. And their subplots are vastly more interesting.

The series is based on a book, written by the main showrunners. But it seems that they would have liked at least double the episodes to tell their story properly. Things just happen, and relationships change between episodes, and you're just left with a confused look. The storylines feel rushed, despite nothing really happening in the first 3 episodes.

So yeah. Watch it if you have a real hankering for Arthurian/fantasy/legend stories, but don't expect much. Otherwise, just skip it. It's not worth the effort.

So, me and the GF recently watched Cursed, a Netflix original that was on #1 trending for quite a while.

And I don't know how it got there. It really wasn't that good... The most interesting thing about the whole series are the side characters and the subplots. The main plot, of the Main Character coming into power as the Queen, and liberating her people, just kinda... goes along. It has only a few twists and turns, but in the end it just... goes nowhere.
In the end, it's the side characters who make things happen. And their subplots are vastly more interesting.

The series is based on a book, written by the main showrunners. But it seems that they would have liked at least double the episodes to tell their story properly. Things just happen, and relationships change between episodes, and you're just left with a confused look. The storylines feel rushed, despite nothing really happening in the first 3 episodes.

So yeah. Watch it if you have a real hankering for Arthurian/fantasy/legend stories, but don't expect much. Otherwise, just skip it. It's not worth the effort.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll skip this one for sure.

I always like to watch a "serious", 1 hour show, but at the same time also a smaller, comedy-type of show (around 20 mins in runtime).
As we finished Brooklyn-99 I switched over to That 70s Show yesterday.

I always like to watch a "serious", 1 hour show, but at the same time also a smaller, comedy-type of show (around 20 mins in runtime).
As we finished Brooklyn-99 I switched over to That 70s Show yesterday.[/hr]
Man, That '70s Show gives me mixed feelings. On one hand, I watched it a lot when I was younger, and I still find it funny as hell.
On the other hand, there are quite some jokes which are a bit... dated (read: sexist, rapey, racist,...).

Man, That '70s Show gives me mixed feelings. On one hand, I watched it a lot when I was younger, and I still find it funny as hell.
On the other hand, there are quite some jokes which are a bit... dated (read: sexist, rapey, racist,...).
While I agree with you I can separate it in my mind. Times are changing for the good.

Finished another series: Biohackers. Since we absolutely loved Dark, and this was proclaimed to be another dark sci-fi thriller from Germany, we gave it a go.

And y'know, it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it, for the most part. The plot is decent, and while it doesn't have much surprises, it does play nicely with some flash-forward and -backs.
The main gripe I have with the series is that it's completely, and utterly unrealistic. And yeah, it's sci-fi, it's not supposed to be realistic, but it just breaks some rules that are not supposed to be different from our reality.
Main point: the entire stories plays out in a total of 2 weeks. In those two weeks, the main character falls in love, pretends to fall in love with another guy, earns the trust of the bad guy, and manages to pull off her secret mission, albeit with some hiccups.
This would have been more doable in 2 months, or a year, even.

The plot revolves around a young student, who is trying to get into the good graces of her biology professor, in order to gain access to the professor's high-level program, and therefore her lab. She wants this, because she's looking for evidence that said professor was performing rather unethical research on her and her brother, which resulted in the brother's death.
She manages to get in the top-level program by outperforming the other students, and catching the eye of the professor. The problem is, that she shows this by nailing a practical test ON THE SECOND DAY OF HER STUDIES. She goes on a fricking date with the professor's assistent on DAY ONE. After two weeks time, her roommates are willing to take the fall for a fucking TERRORIST ATTACK for her. Who would do that for a girl you met 2 weeks ago?

On top of that, all the scientific stuff in the series is absolute nonsense. They are capable of creating a miracle cure in matter of hours, in a lab, with zero safety precautions. I'm not a researcher myself, but I do know several who are. I'm sure if I show them this show, it'll be the same as me watching anything with IT stuff in it.
"God, no, it doesn't work like that! No, you-aaaarrgghh!"

So yeah. I recommend it, despite the timeframe making no sense at all. The plot is still very interesting.

Finished another series: Biohackers. Since we absolutely loved Dark, and this was proclaimed to be another dark sci-fi thriller from Germany, we gave it a go.

And y'know, it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it, for the most part. The plot is decent, and while it doesn't have much surprises, it does play nicely with some flash-forward and -backs.
The main gripe I have with the series is that it's completely, and utterly unrealistic. And yeah, it's sci-fi, it's not supposed to be realistic, but it just breaks some rules that are not supposed to be different from our reality.
Main point: the entire stories plays out in a total of 2 weeks. In those two weeks, the main character falls in love, pretends to fall in love with another guy, earns the trust of the bad guy, and manages to pull off her secret mission, albeit with some hiccups.
This would have been more doable in 2 months, or a year, even.

The plot revolves around a young student, who is trying to get into the good graces of her biology professor, in order to gain access to the professor's high-level program, and therefore her lab. She wants this, because she's looking for evidence that said professor was performing rather unethical research on her and her brother, which resulted in the brother's death.
She manages to get in the top-level program by outperforming the other students, and catching the eye of the professor. The problem is, that she shows this by nailing a practical test ON THE SECOND DAY OF HER STUDIES. She goes on a fricking date with the professor's assistent on DAY ONE. After two weeks time, her roommates are willing to take the fall for a fucking TERRORIST ATTACK for her. Who would do that for a girl you met 2 weeks ago?

On top of that, all the scientific stuff in the series is absolute nonsense. They are capable of creating a miracle cure in matter of hours, in a lab, with zero safety precautions. I'm not a researcher myself, but I do know several who are. I'm sure if I show them this show, it'll be the same as me watching anything with IT stuff in it.
"God, no, it doesn't work like that! No, you-aaaarrgghh!"

So yeah. I recommend it, despite the timeframe making no sense at all. The plot is still very interesting.
So basically... it's a good show as long as you turn off the logic part of your brain.

Tried "Community" since me and the gf wanted to find another casual series to watch every now and then during pizza dinner.
However both of us didn't like it at all and I actually had to turn it off halfway the first episode. Too bad, was really hoping for a Brooklyn-99 or Modern Family replacement.

Tried "Community" since me and the gf wanted to find another casual series to watch every now and then during pizza dinner.
However both of us didn't like it at all and I actually had to turn it off halfway the first episode. Too bad, was really hoping for a Brooklyn-99 or Modern Family replacement.
Parks and Recreation is made by the same people who made Brooklyn-99, I believe. Although the first season is (apparently) kinda bad, compared to the rest.

What is it with Netflix and series with great concepts, but horrible executions?

We just finished watching The Rain. A Danish post-apocalyptic series, where the rain kills people. Great concept, right? Except that the whole "Rain is deadly" part kinda goes away after the first series. The other two are just... them running about. They then try to push a very character-driven plot, but the characters barely make any growth. The only 2 who do, are the main BBEG, and one of the sidecharacters. And even then, the BBEG just gets more and more aggravating. And then, the whole thing ends, with several plots still unsolved.

So yeah, the first season is pretty good. But the rest just gets annoying.

What is it with Netflix and series with great concepts, but horrible executions?

We just finished watching The Rain. A Danish post-apocalyptic series, where the rain kills people. Great concept, right? Except that the whole "Rain is deadly" part kinda goes away after the first series. The other two are just... them running about. They then try to push a very character-driven plot, but the characters barely make any growth. The only 2 who do, are the main BBEG, and one of the sidecharacters. And even then, the BBEG just gets more and more aggravating. And then, the whole thing ends, with several plots still unsolved.

So yeah, the first season is pretty good. But the rest just gets annoying.

I'm guessing Netflix just doesn't have the experience other studios have? It's a shame really.

I'm guessing Netflix just doesn't have the experience other studios have? It's a shame really.

I think it's more of a "sound good, go for it" mentality. It works out great sometimes, look at Stranger Things, or Dark.

Purchased Disney+ for a month, love the nostalgic feeling of rewatching Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop,...
Will probably cancel next month though. I really don't like the subscription model.

Shit, I have Netflix, and for now I'm sticking with only Netflix. Not out of loyalty, but the rest just does not have enough of an appeal to me to fork over another $15/month.

It's either on Netflix, or it's pirated.

Shit, I have Netflix, and for now I'm sticking with only Netflix. Not out of loyalty, but the rest just does not have enough of an appeal to me to fork over another $15/month.

It's either on Netflix, or it's pirated.
It's only €7 a month, but I know what you mean. Only streaming service I'm paying for atm. (I'm hooked into Netflix and Spotify through a family subscription which I'm not paying for)

It's only €7 a month, but I know what you mean. Only streaming service I'm paying for atm. (I'm hooked into Netflix and Spotify through a family subscription which I'm not paying for)
Yeah, see, I am the one who pays for my family's Netflix :biggrin: Maybe I can have them pay for the Disney+ subscription, or something :)

Back
Top Bottom