My one real gripe with Disney Plus: Cropped 16:9 SD shows while remastered HD 4:3 versions are available

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
All "old" Disney shows were drawn in a 4:3 aspect ratio. For some bizarre reason Disney+ cropped these to 16:9, effectively losing a major part of the screen.
As if that wasn't enough, the versions on Disney+ are also SD while a HD 4:3 version is available!

Case in point: Goof Troop

Disney+ version:

pcI43z3.png

AMZN webrip version:

PnZKqLs.png

Both versions overlayed relative to their resolution:

rQtedDw.png

Bare in mind that this is a simple example, often you are literally missing out on jokes because they are "off-screen".

So while they HD 4:3 rescanned versions are available, Disney+ chooses to not put those online, but instead crop the old 4:3 SD versions to 16:9...
Really baffles my mind this one. You actually LOSE a big part of the screen.

It's exactly the same case for Rescue Rangers.

Some shows are cropped and don't have a remastered version (yet) like The Little Mermaid.

Shows like Ducktales and Talespin aren't remastered but aren't cropped either, this is how it's supposed to be Disney! (until you remaster these series and put a HD 4:3 version online)

Last edited:
I have the feeling that "remastering" for Disney just means "digitally sharpen it, and crop it to 16:9". A pity.
But, then again, it's Disney. They lost artistic integrity decades ago.

I have the feeling that "remastering" for Disney just means "digitally sharpen it, and crop it to 16:9". A pity.
But, then again, it's Disney. They lost artistic integrity decades ago.
The best thing they can do is give users the option to switch between ratios.

The best thing they can do is give users the option to switch between ratios.
Yes, but that would require money.
And watch as they make users pay an extra $5/month for that feature.

Back
Top Bottom