I'm gonna buy a network switch, any recommendations?

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Wifi signal is pretty bad in living room but I do have a network cable running from the router to the living room. Right now that cable is plugged into the TV. I'd like to put that cable into a switch so I can connect my Xbox, Steamlink, TV, Apple TV, AV Receiver, Wifi extender (will work a ton better since it will receive internet from cable instead of wireless).
So I need at least 6 ports, unfortunately a ton of network switches only have 5...

Main difference seems PoE enabled and no PoE support. Since my internet doesn't run through my power cables I don't need PoE I guess?
I'd also like to spend less than €50 if possible.
My internet speed is 1Gbps download so I need at least that.

But that still leaves me with a ton of options.
Can anyone recommend me a brand to go with? Or even better a model?

Without advice I'd buy this one: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/346908/d-link-8-port-gigabit-easy-desktop-switch/

Seeing as switches are just straight connectors, without routing, I wouldn't look much further. If the specs match your preferences (and the design does too), I'd go for it. There likely isn't going to be much difference in quality under €50.
Be aware you need an outlet for this! It's a mistake I made when I hooked up my TV. Ended up buying a whole new powerstrip with more outlets.

Seeing as switches are just straight connectors, without routing, I wouldn't look much further. If the specs match your preferences (and the design does too), I'd go for it. There likely isn't going to be much difference in quality under €50.
Be aware you need an outlet for this! It's a mistake I made when I hooked up my TV. Ended up buying a whole new powerstrip with more outlets.
Alright, thanks for answering! Ordered that one and it'll get delivered tomorrow.
And thanks for letting me know about the switch needing power, I did not know that. Hopefully I've got a free plug left.

Back
Top Bottom