General chit-chat

Welcome to the 7th century.

Afghanistan: Taliban closes universities to women

patrick-stewart-mild-shock.gif

You mean a religious fruitcake regime that doesn't like women all that much, does something to prevent women from bettering themselves?

I'd take it.

Researchers develop blood test that can reliably detect Alzheimer’s disease

Fun fact: they actually ask for permission to tell you if they find genetic markers for genetic diseases.
I did a genetics test a while ago (for unrelated reasons), and on the application form they had a whole section devoted to "I wish to be informed if markers for genetic diseases are found". You could mark down if you wished to be notified of separate afflictions, and IIRC Alzheimers was one of them.

Fun fact: they actually ask for permission to tell you if they find genetic markers for genetic diseases.
I did a genetics test a while ago (for unrelated reasons), and on the application form they had a whole section devoted to "I wish to be informed if markers for genetic diseases are found". You could mark down if you wished to be notified of separate afflictions, and IIRC Alzheimers was one of them.
Neat, had no idea. And personally I'd always wanna know as soon as possible, so I'd just check all the options.

Neat, had no idea. And personally I'd always wanna know as soon as possible, so I'd just check all the options.
Would you? If you received word at 30 that you're gonna die at ~40 due to some incurable disease, that's inevitable, would you really want to know? That sword is going to be dangling over your neck for those 10-ish years, always.

I can see your point for diseases you can suffer from when you're older (say, 70 or 80). There's still time left to find I cure, I suppose.

Would you? If you received word at 30 that you're gonna die at ~40 due to some incurable disease, that's inevitable, would you really want to know? That sword is going to be dangling over your neck for those 10-ish years, always.

I can see your point for diseases you can suffer from when you're older (say, 70 or 80). There's still time left to find I cure, I suppose.
Well yeah, I would go and live smaller (house-wise), not pay most of our paychecks straight to the bank and spend a bit more, live a bit more.

Well yeah, I would go and live smaller (house-wise), not pay most of our paychecks straight to the bank and spend a bit more, live a bit more.
Alternatively:

kBM0lDi.jpeg

I checked "No" for a few of them, with no chance at a cure. If it comes, it'll come.

Yeah, 2023 coming in strong :( Hopefully it'll be uphill from here on out.

Now watch Spif going full "perfectly balanced and with no exploits" on Linus' liver.

Better prepare yourself before you start glitching, buddy.

How on earth do you counter this?

xc47oqZ.png
That's the neat part, you don't!
This was one of the most effective battle strategies in history. It was used all the way up to the 15th century.

Although, one of its weaknesses was that it was incredibly clumsy... Effective and terrifying as it may be, it's still a large group of people having to walk coordinately. Changing direction was a bitch. Any faltering would be devastating. Notably, the Scots used it at the battle of Flodden Field, in the 1513. It had partial success in the initial stages, but then the soldiers got caught in thick mud. The front lines faltered, the formation fell, and the English soldiers could easily take down the individual pikemen.

Back
Top Bottom