Firefox beats Chrome in Performance for the first time in a few years

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Firefox beats Chrome in Performance for the first time in a few years

Performance Index
The data in the chart below is a geometric mean of all four performance-based categories: Wait Times, JavaScript/DOM, HTML5/CSS3, and Hardware Acceleration.

Firefox 22 pulls off an upset, replacing the long-time performance champion Google Chrome as the new speed king! Google doesn't lose by very much though. In fact, if we moved the decimal point and rounded, this would show up as a tie. Meanwhile, moving on to the next win-eligible browser, IE10 is far behind in third place, with less than half the performance score of Firefox 22 or Chrome 27. Opera 12 is in last place, lagging slightly behind IE10.
Opera Next technically lands the number-three spot with a score right below Chrome. Our performance index shows the browser to be nearly three times faster than its current version! In fact, the upcoming Chromium-based Norwegian Web browser only shows weakness in HTML5 and its native HWA.

Non-Performance Index
The data in the chart below is achieved through the geometric mean of all four non-performance categories: Memory Efficiency, Reliability, Security, and Standards Conformance.

Firefox manages to conquer this category thanks to a stellar finish in proper page loads as well as strong scores in all three remaining non-performance categories. Chrome 27 finds itself in a comparatively distant second place. Its terrible page load reliability, combined with tighter scoring in the other metrics, sink Google's chances. IE10 is around 15% behind Chrome in third, with Opera 12 landing in last place with a score of less than half that of Firefox 22.
With Opera Next in the mix, the placing order would change a bit. The upcoming version nearly doubles the non-performance score of the browser's current version, and even manages to top Chrome 27 by a slim margin. Yet another substantial gain for the Norwegian Web browser.

WBGP XVI Champion
Now we combine equal parts performance and non-performance metrics, stir, and taste...

With no apparent weaknesses and generally strong finishes all-around, combined with near-native start times, greatly-improved hardware acceleration scores, and almost-perfect reliability, the latest version of Firefox soundly wins this installment of the Web Browser Grand Prix.

Source & more: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/chrome-27-firefox-21-opera-next,3534-12.html

c0nn said:
So what you saying? you think i should get firefox?
Tbh it doesn't matter much, if you use Chrome or Firefox you know you're using something up to date and fast.
I myself have -and probably always will- use firefox.

I heard there is alot of add-ons you can get for firefox, i'm currently using chrome and have done for years now never seen the need to go to anything else. What makes you pick firefox over any other internet browser?

c0nn said:
I heard there is alot of add-ons you can get for firefox, i'm currently using chrome and have done for years now never seen the need to go to anything else. What makes you pick firefox over any other internet browser?
Nothing in particular really. It's just what I started using x years ago and because I never ran into problems I never changed.
If you are happy with Chrome then there is no reason to change.
Besides, most addons exist for Firefox AND Chrome.

I prefer Firefox because I can manage my history better. I can select to not track my history, without losing cookies or log-in data. That means I don't have to worry about leaving anything, but I can still browse without having to log on every time. Only downside is the massive amount of cookies this generates. But cleaning them weekly solves that problem.
Also, I find that FF is easier to modify than Chrome. But that may be just my findings.

Stybar said:
I prefer Firefox because I can manage my history better. I can select to not track my history, without losing cookies or log-in data. That means I don't have to worry about leaving anything, but I can still browse without having to log on every time. Only downside is the massive amount of cookies this generates. But cleaning them weekly solves that problem.
Also, I find that FF is easier to modify than Chrome. But that may be just my findings.
So let me get this straight.. firefox does this thing where you can change the option and it doesn't record on the browser that its been on that page and saving it so you can view it again.. it just saves all the passwords and form data? Please explain

Back
Top Bottom