F1 News F1 abandons South Africa GP plans, Belgium set to stay

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
F1 abandons South Africa GP plans, Belgium set to stay

Political barriers have halted plans to return to Africa as part of F1's ever-increasing world tour.
r4n1zvN.jpeg

A return to Kyalami for the first time since 1993 has been heavily mooted in recent years, with Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei prematurely declaring a race on the African continent for the current season.

But original talks between F1 and then-promoter Warren Scheckter broke down over the financial details involved in the deal.

A new promoter, by way of 777 - a sports investment company based in Miami which is best known for its business ventures in soccer - and led by Adam Brown, who also promotes the Kyalami 9 Hour race, had rekindled hope of adding South Africa to the calendar.

The events hopes were boosted by the backing of seven-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton and his push for F1 to return to Africa.

RacingNews365.com, however, understands a decision has been made to abandon plans for a South African GP in the near future due to political reasons.

According to sources, the decision was taken because South Africa has aligned closely with Russia.

Source and more: https://racingnews365.com/f1-abandons-south-africa-gp-plans-belgium-set-to-stay

Finally some good F1 news.

According to sources, the decision was taken because South Africa has aligned closely with Russia.
I'm casting doubt on this. I'm certain that this'll be the public story, but my bet is that the SA promoter just didn't fork over enough cash.

Also, Lewis is pushing for F1 to return to Africa? Could give some interesting race backdrops, at least. Imagine a race in Cairo - with the finish right in front of the pyramids.

I'm casting doubt on this. I'm certain that this'll be the public story, but my bet is that the SA promoter just didn't fork over enough cash.

Also, Lewis is pushing for F1 to return to Africa? Could give some interesting race backdrops, at least. Imagine a race in Cairo - with the finish right in front of the pyramids.
Straight across from the Pizza Hut!

E1YISOZ.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom