Energy drink poisonings increase: study

Nimphiouus

TMS Fuhrer. (Non_Poster)
Researchers are calling for all energy drinks to carry warning labels after finding a big increase in caffeine toxicity among consumers of the drinks.

The researchers from the University of Sydney and the NSW Poisons Information Centre say reports of adverse reactions to energy drinks increased from just 12 in 2004 to 65 in 2010.

The median age of people who were reported to the centre, which handles calls from NSW, the ACT and Tasmania, was just 17.

Some 57 per cent of people who were reported were male.

The symptoms which were most commonly reported were heart palpitations, agitation, tremors and gastrointestinal upset.

At least 128 people needed emergency services to be called and of these 20 people showed signs of serious cardiac or neurological toxicity.

Their symptoms included hallucinations, seizures and cardiac ischaemia, where the heart muscle receives insufficient blood flow.

The researchers say this is of "grave concern" to both the community and for clinicians.

"Given the clear evidence of toxicity and the growing number of hospitalisations associated with consumption of energy drinks, particularly in a vulnerable adolescent population, health authorities should increase awareness of the problem, improve package labelling and regulate caffeine content," the study's authors wrote.

The researchers recommend that energy drinks carry warning labels which are similar to those for non-prescription, over-the-counter caffeine tablets.

They said mixing energy with alcohol is a "dangerous phenomenon" and that young people, especially adolescents, appear to be the least concerned about it.

Almost 25 per cent of calls related to a combination of alcohol and energy drinks and another 30 per cent involved the co-ingestion of caffeine tablets or other stimulants such as amphetamines.

The report said that the review and regulation of energy drinks currently being considered by the Australia and New Zealand Food Regulation Ministerial Council is "timely and essential".

Caffeinated energy drinks also have other potential health problems, such as obesity.

The research has been published in the Medical Journal of Australia.

Source: msn.

I've always said these were bad, its good to have 1 when you need it , but when you drink it like water you can die....

Well that settles it, more recently ive been getting sick after drinking them... Mostly NOS and Rockstar, havent tried with Monster again. Had a serious stomach problem the past 3 days after drinking a NOS and Rockstar... Heart had some irregular beating too... makes sense now.

What are the odds...

Mave said:
WhatTheFuckMan.jpg

>Usually never drink a lot of energy booze
>Drink one large bottle of RedBul(437ml)
>Learn until around midnight
>Want to go to bed
>Can't sleep until 3:35 AM
>Get sick of it, get up
>Realize I had no sleep
>Exam in a few hours
>Fuck.My.Life.

Not drinking RedBul for a while :sir:

Mave said:
What are the odds...

Mave said:
>Want to go to bed
>Get sick of it, get up
>Realize I had no sleep
>Exam in a few hours
>Fuck.My.Life.

Fuck that, I need my Monster to keep going D:
But still, I never drank more then 2 cans on one day, and that only happened twice. I'm guessing people who get sick drink a couple of liters per day, stupid idiots.

Mave said:
What are the odds...

Mave said:
WhatTheFuckMan.jpg

>Want to go to bed
>Get sick of it, get up
>Realize I had no sleep
>Exam in a few hours
>Fuck.My.Life.

Well yeah....

Stybar said:
Mave said:
What are the odds...

Mave said:
>Want to go to bed
>Get sick of it, get up
>Realize I had no sleep
>Exam in a few hours
>Fuck.My.Life.

Fuck that, I need my Monster to keep going D:
But still, I never drank more then 2 cans on one day, and that only happened twice. I'm guessing people who get sick drink a couple of liters per day, stupid idiots.

About one year ago I used to drink shitload of energy drinks, almost everyday went at least 2 cans, but I never actually got sick for drinking it (unless I took 5 of them in one day, oh god moving my arms and my whole body was so fucked up then, but I was okay after I went to sleep :biggrin:).

Today I don't drink energy drinks almost at all (because I don't want to waste money for that).

Back
Top Bottom