Discuss the last movie you watched

N6jZQVB.jpg

Movie + Year: Divergent (2014)
IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1840309/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
IMDB score: 6.8
IMDB description: In a world divided by factions based on virtues, Tris learns she's Divergent and won't fit in. When she discovers a plot to destroy Divergents, Tris and the mysterious Four must find out what makes Divergents dangerous before it's too late.

My opinion: This movie was as transparent as glass. The whole plot is a bit incredibly obvious from early on. The characters are pretty well done, but on the whole it feels... rushed. I watched this movie because my girlfriend had read the books and wanted to watch it, and she agreed that important parts of the books were just left out which cause for some confusing moments. One of the bad guys helps her in the end, with no obvious reason why. The death of one major character is just treated like "meh", even though it was one of the main characters close friends. It is obvious from the first time they meet who the main characters love interest is, and that he's Divergent too. Lots of spoilers, but really, you can figure it out yourself by just watching 30 minutes of the movie.

Also, who the fuck thinks that dividing a society into 5 factions and then keeping them strictly separated will end well? Everyone with just a shred of sociological knowledge knows that this will fail. Vault 19, anyone?

My gf's advice: "Read the books, they're better"

My rating: 6.5/10

lextoc said:
Finally saw Straight Outta Compton yesterday, 20/10.
I also liked it a lot, was expecting it to be disappointing, but was pleasantly surprised.

Mave said:
lextoc said:
I also liked it a lot, was expecting it to be disappointing, but was pleasantly surprised.
Might give it a try then.

Getting caught up with the Marvel movies, since Civil War is coming up. Watched Iron Man 3 today, and while the action is good, and the suits are well animated, the rest of the movie just feels... bland. Like they couldn't come up with a decent plot, so they just threw stuff against the wall, seeing what stuck.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
lextoc said:
Might give it a try then.

Getting caught up with the Marvel movies, since Civil War is coming up. Watched Iron Man 3 today, and while the action is good, and the suits are well animated, the rest of the movie just feels... bland. Like they couldn't come up with a decent plot, so they just threw stuff against the wall, seeing what stuck.
I agree, it was nothing like the first one.

Layer Cake (2004)

J6yJgsM.jpg

A successful cocaine dealer gets two tough assignments from his boss on the eve of his planned early retirement.

8/10, heavily recommend, great actors, great story.
I always love good British crime movies (Snatch, Lock Stock,..) This one fits in the list perfectly.

John_Wick_TeaserPoster.jpg

Movie + Year: John Wick (2014)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2911666/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
IMDB score: 7.2/10
IMDB description: An ex-hitman comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything from him.

My opinion:
Plot? Okay, there is no plot.
Bad guys come, do bad stuff to a guy they shouldn't have fucked with, and the guy then proceeds to kill the entirety of the local Russian mob.
There, the entire plot of the movie. But the plot isn't why you should watch the movie. The action is just so. god. damn. amazing. Keanu Reeves is fucking awesome with guns in this movie. I read somewhere he practiced with professional competition shooters, and it shows. The gunplay is incredibly realistic. Also, seeing him shoot the snivelling little shit right in the head without remorse? Priceless.
My rating:8.5/10

Stybar said:

John_Wick_TeaserPoster.jpg

Movie + Year: John Wick (2014)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2911666/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
IMDB score: 7.2/10
IMDB description: An ex-hitman comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything from him.

My opinion:
Plot? Okay, there is no plot.
Bad guys come, do bad stuff to a guy they shouldn't have fucked with, and the guy then proceeds to kill the entirety of the local Russian mob.
There, the entire plot of the movie. But the plot isn't why you should watch the movie. The action is just so. god. damn. amazing. Keanu Reeves is fucking awesome with guns in this movie. I read somewhere he practiced with professional competition shooters, and it shows. The gunplay is incredibly realistic. Also, seeing him shoot the snivelling little shit right in the head without remorse? Priceless.
My rating:8.5/10

Loved this one as well. Next year we'll finally have part 2 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4425200/

GEli8Pk.jpg

Movie + Year: Zootopia (2016)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2948356/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
IMDB score: 8.2/10
IMDB description: In a city of anthropomorphic animals, a rookie bunny cop and a cynical con artist fox must work together to uncover a conspiracy.

My opinion: Meh. Just... Meh. I mean, some of the jokes are hilarious, and there are lots of silly gags that made me laugh. But the story is transparent, the characters are bland and have almost zero growth, and you can see who the badguy is as soon as the plot unfolds, which is also extremely simple to figure out.
I mean, it's obvious that the predators (who go crazy for some reason) don't do it naturally, and so you figure out that someone is doing it to them. And surprise surprise, the mayor's assistent is the one who gains the most from blacklisting all the predators. GEE I WONDER WHO THE MASTERMIND IS?
It's a kids movie, sure, but Finding Nemo is too, and that story is a lot better, and the characters are much more interesting.

My rating:6/10, bonus points for making me laugh at some pretty damn funny gags.

MV5BMjA1MTc1NTg5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTM2MDEzNzE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Movie + Year: The Hateful EIght (2015)
IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3460252/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
IMDB score: 7.9
IMDB description: In the dead of a Wyoming winter, a bounty hunter and his prisoner find shelter in a cabin currently inhabited by a collection of nefarious characters.

My opinion: It's a Tarentino movie. That's all there is to it. A lot of swearwords, a shitload of blood and violence, and some incredible shots. The plot is alright, it keeps you in suspense until the end, but once it unravels you can only go "how could it be anything else".
The surprise appearance by Channing Tatum feels a bit Deus Ex Machina, but then they throw in a flashback, and you go "well yeah, makes sense"
Still, being a Tarentino movie, there is a shitload of violence, and a stunning Samuel L Jackson as "angry black dude" (Does he have that on a business card? He should) .
However, IMO the best actor is hands down Walton Goggins, as the slightly (read "very") racist Southerner. The entire way he plays the role (which is a lot like his role in Django) just comes off as real. You get the feeling that at the end of filming, the dude just goes back to his ranch and starts whipping black people.

Also, Tarentino seems to be suffering from the same thing Tim Burton does. He keeps using actors in his movies he's used before. SLJ, Micheal Madson, Walton Goggins, Tim Roth,... Still, as long as they fit the role and they are great on the screen, no complaints from me.

My rating: 8.5/10

Stybar said:
You get the feeling that at the end of filming, the dude just goes back to his ranch and starts whipping black people.

Exactly.
And I agree with your review, I'm a huge Tarantino fan myself and loved this movie, though it's not my absolute fav of his.

cT014bW.jpg

Movie + Year: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)
IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935859/?ref_=nv_sr_1
IMDB score: 7.1/10
IMDB description:When Jacob discovers clues to a mystery that stretches across time, he finds Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. But the danger deepens after he gets to know the residents and learns about their special powers.

My opinion: So, this is a typical YA movie. Not a bad YA movie, but that's all it is. It's not bad, it's not horrible, it was even pretty good at times. But honestly, it was average, leaning towards good. The plot is not as paper thin as other YA movies, although some big reveals make you go "told you so". I have to say though, Samuel L Jackson plays a hilarious bad guy. It's the same as in Kingsmen, they just told him "You're the bad guy. Have fun." and he just rolled with it. Eva Green plays her role perfectly, as well. She really feels like the all-powerful, leader type the character is supposed to be.
Overall, not a bad movie, but not stunningly great either. Some scenes are great, some are completely obvious. But hell, it has a happy ending, which is what I like.

My rating:7.9/10

^ Today I learned what YA stands for.

c3u1L5B.jpg

Movie + Year: Ronin (1998)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122690/
IMDB score: 7.3/10
IMDB description: A freelancing former U.S. intelligence agent tries to track down a mysterious package that is wanted by both the Irish and the Russians.

My opinion:
Stumbled upon this movie looking for a good action movie with "cool car chases". Boy was I wrong. Turns out this movie has arguably the best car chases in Hollywood history. Combine that with a good plot, Rober De Niro, and Jean Reno and you can't go wrong. The movie has a little Bourne vibe to it, but it's unique in it's own way. The action is good, but never over the top or "hollywood fake". And that's eactly what I love about it.
Go watch this if you want to watch a good action movie.
Small note: The first ~15 minutes are a bit slow, but stick with it!

My rating: 7.5/10

ZwOO3uz.jpg

Movie + Year: Doctor Strange (2016)
IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211837/?ref_=ttmc_mc_tt
IMDB score: 8.0/10
IMDB description:A former neurosurgeon embarks on a journey of healing only to be drawn into the world of the mystic arts.

My opinion: So, the latest installment in the MCU series. And that's exactly what it is. It's not a bad movie, it was pretty good. It was a good MCU movie though. Different from the others, since now there is magic-y and psychedelic stuff mixed, but that made it a nice break from the usual "Capt. America punches people" shtick. It's odd watching Benedict Cumberbatch perform with an American accent, and he played the part pretty well. Nice to see him as something else than a sociopathic person.
The real amazing thing is this movie are the special effects though. The things they do with Manhattan make Inception look like a kid's drawing. Impressive designs, amazing effects,... The people behind it did not get enough praise, IMO.

My rating: 8/10

LAH3XZX.jpg

Movie + Year: Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4853102/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
IMDB score: 6.6/10
IMDB description: As Batman hunts for the escaped Joker, the Clown Prince of Crime attacks the Gordon family to prove a diabolical point mirroring his own fall into madness.

My opinion: One of the best Batman comic books in existence, now in movie format. And with Mark Hamill as the Joker! I liked Heath Ledger as the Joker in The Dark Knight, it was a great performance. But the way Hamill voices the Joker here...
Storywise, it's split up in two parts. First, a big prologue with Batgirl, which, according to IMDB, is "to show her importance". I'm not saying I didn't like it, as it showed the whole parallel between Batgirl and Batman both going near the edge, but I think the movie would have been great without it too.
The whole sex scene between the two of them didn't really make any sense though.
The second part is about the Joker, his origins and his plans for Commissioner Gordon and Batman. This is the meat of the storyline, which is taken from the comic directly. It's a great story, although I felt at some moments they could have highlighted the Joker's origin a bit more. Nonetheless, a riveting movie, which I enjoyed, very much.

My rating: 9/10

zBsn2RYr.jpg

Movie + Year: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3183660/?ref_=nv_sr_1
IMDB score: 7.8/10
IMDB description:The adventures of writer Newt Scamander in New York's secret community of witches and wizards seventy years before Harry Potter reads his book in school.

My opinion: A movie set in the Harry Potter universe, although it has nothing to do with the original story. That doesn't mean it's a bad movie, quite the contrary. It was quite enjoyable. The main characters are interesting and watching them go through the story was pretty fun.
Plotwise, however, there are some major holes. The ending is obvious from the start of fucking movie, and the final climax has some logical issues with them that are just plain weird.

My rating: 7/10. Great worldbuilding, impressive CGI on the creatures, but those plotholes just make you scratch your head.

ssquad-cposter-gallery.jpg

Movie + Year: Suicide Squad (2016)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386697/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
IMDB score: 6.3/10
IMDB description: A secret government agency recruits some of the most dangerous incarcerated super-villains to form a defensive task force. Their first mission: save the world from the apocalypse.

My opinion: So, this was supposed to be DC's answer to Deadpool. They threw in some dark humor, and a couple of raunchy jokes, and said "see! we can do it too!" I do have to say, the humor was pretty funny, but the characters were bland. The two main characters, Deadshot and Harley, were the only two with some sort of interesting progression. Which is weird, since I felt that the movie started out great, but ended kinda crappy. The final battle starts with BBEG1, who gets one of the most bad ass fights in the movie, but it's over before you can properly enjoy it. The second final battle with BBEG2, is confusing, and seems like just random punches landing on the right people, and ends completely predictable.

Diablo is the most underused character though, but with a good effect. They only let him loose 3 times, but each time is completely over the top. If they used him the entire movie long, it would get boring, so by restricting him to only 3 scenes (and short ones at that), the impact of him torching everything is extra big. His final stand is a bit lame though. He goes completely god-mode, and starts killing the BBEG like it's nothing. But then he kinda... stops?
Like, he slowly extinguishes, and then dies. What?

My rating: 7/10 It's a movie with some great scenes, but in it's entirety, it's lacking.

^ I couldn't even finish watching that movie...

0Pn56Af.jpg

Movie + Year: John Wick 2 (2017)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4425200/
IMDB score: 8.1/10
IMDB description: After returning to the criminal underworld to repay a debt, John Wick discovers that a large bounty has been put on his life.

My opinion: I loved John Wick, I did not love John Wick 2. Unfortunately I think the success of the first movie let to the disappointment in this one. There are numerous of great action scenes, I won't deny that. But story wise the movie is complete shit, the entire first scene of the movie doesn't have a purpose whatsoever, and John Wick is like a game character with the godmode cheat activated.. It almost feels like a game how he repeats the same moves over and over and gets shot 50 fucking times. If you like great action scenes and great cinematography, watch this, but in my opinion it doesn't contain the heart and soul like the first movie did.

My rating: 6/10 and all six points go to the cinematography and action scenes.

Isn't that kinda true about the first movie as well? I mean, the story was pretty bland as well. Annoying kid fucks up, Wick gets back from retirement, and ends up destroying the entire mafia. Boom. Story done.

Stybar said:
Isn't that kinda true about the first movie as well? I mean, the story was pretty bland as well. Annoying kid fucks up, Wick gets back from retirement, and ends up destroying the entire mafia. Boom. Story done.
Trust me in the first one the story was "okay". Here it's just terrible.

Back
Top Bottom