"Anonymous" is on a hacking spree to revenge the death of MegaUpload.

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Anonymous has commenced an intense hacking spree in which they are targeting .gov domains as well as other government funded websites. Organizations such as Universal Music are also being hacked.

This is the list of websites I know have been hacked by Anon today. Add to the list as you wish.

[1] www.universalmusic.com
[2] www.justice.gov
[3] www.fbi.gov
[4] www.copyright.gov
[5] www.hadopi.fr
[6] www.riaa.org
[7] www.chrisdodd.com
[8] www.utahchiefs.org

Relevant: http://pastebin.com/WEydcBVV

Saw this on doghousediaries today, thought is was a perfect visualisation of the situation:
2012-01-20-183ee44.png

I know Anon is just doing their part or whatever, but what does taking down these sites (For a temporary period) actually do? Sure they lose a few dollars but it's nothing really.

GPow69 said:
I know Anon is just doing their part or whatever, but what does taking down these sites (For a temporary period) actually do? Sure they lose a few dollars but it's nothing really.

Taking a site offline doesn't really accomplish much, they go down for thirty minutes then they're back up. But when they hack and steal sensitive information, that is a better strategy to do.

Well we've seen in the past what they're capable of (or was that just getting lucky?)
I highly doubt they'd be able to actually steal any sensitive information from government sites.. But anyone can download a shitty botnet and DDoS a site. It doesn't make you tough.

GPow69 said:
Well we've seen in the past what they're capable of (or was that just getting lucky?)
I highly doubt they'd be able to actually steal any sensitive information from government sites.. But anyone can download a shitty botnet and DDoS a site. It doesn't make you tough.

WeGotABadassOverHere.png

Anon when the feds rock up to their house.

GPow69 said:

I direct you towards Wikileaks. Sensitive Government Information released regularly. Well, WAS released regularly. Do they have another site now?

SovareZza said:
GPow69 said:

I direct you towards Wikileaks. Sensitive Government Information released regularly. Well, WAS released regularly. Do they have another site now?

That was generally military members giving assange the information, not someone hacking into it.

As I learned last night, Wikileaks had connections (And origins) in places with people who can act far beyond what Anon is capable of.. They used to be from the Deep web. Craaazy shit down there.

Nimphiouus said:
SovareZza said:
GPow69 said:

That was generally military members giving assange the information, not someone hacking into it.

Yeah true, then again, they have been known to hack into Security companies and steal important information. I think they even hacked the FBI once, not sure. I lose track of all the tweets they post.

The likelihood I pass on links they tweet to here is highly likely, so expect a lot of information posts, etc.

Off-topic: Cigarette time.

They fail to realize that by hacking these companies and causing problems around the net, only gives congress more fuel for their censorship machine. They show the white house that they need to have a noose put on the neck of the internet to allow the government a chance to stop them before anything happens. You can only do so much with satellite internet, and the government has much much MUCH more advanced technology, and much much much much deeper pockets.

They need to scare them and keep them in a state of fear and paranoia, not retaliate and take down sites and provide an excuse to essentially "turn off" the internet. Do these people not fucking think with their heads the consequences of what they do? Surely for something so coordinated there has to be someone with some sense of strategic knowledge.

[quote author=Vodkush]
They fail to realize that by hacking these companies and causing problems around the net, only gives congress more fuel for their censorship machine. They show the white house that they need to have a noose put on the neck of the internet to allow the government a chance to stop them before anything happens.
[/quote]
They only do what's right for the people (because the government clearly does not). But what do you think would happen if the government did place "a noose on the neck of the internet", as you put it? I think, personally, there'd be a revolution of sorts on your American governments hands. The government couldn't stop them with Internet censorship. You can only censor what you can find, and Anonymous would make it difficult to find them, but they'd still have their word going around. You can't kill Anonymous, they are one and they are many. We're all Anonymous.

[quote author=Vodkush]
... and the government has much much MUCH more advanced technology ...
[/quote]
Yes, but Anonymous have people who literally have nothing better to do than DDoS websites and learn as much as they can about technology, learning and excelling at coding. They work with nothing and create beauty through chaos. Just because of the government has advanced technology, doesn't mean it's perfect. Anonymous will just keep poking and prodding until they find a problem, and they will exploit the living hell out of it.

[quote author=Vodkush]
Do these people not fucking think with their heads the consequences of what they do? Surely for something so coordinated there has to be someone with some sense of strategic knowledge.
[/quote]
They work together, so few for the benefit of so many. They all have varying opinions, ideas, etc. and those that are most beneficial to either their cause or the cause of the people is what they go with. The people who organise Anonymous and their ideas are the smartest out of the lot and understand fully what the repercussions of their actions could entail. Yet they proceed anyway, for you should not fear your government, your government should fear you and all it's people.

However, in some cases, you are correct. Their actions allow for congress to give The White House reasons to censor the internet and essentially destroy it, yet Obama is smart and wants a compromise between the Technology companies and Hollywood for both bills. SOPA & PIPA, for, however unlikely, those unaware.

I'll see if I can find the link, but it may have already been posted here.

GPow69 said:
As I learned last night, Wikileaks had connections (And origins) in places with people who can act far beyond what Anon is capable of.. They used to be from the Deep web. Craaazy shit down there.

Indeed, on the subject of the deep web, I did some lovely research, will make a big topic about the deep web later this weekend.

SovareZza said:
[quote author=Vodkush]
They fail to realize that by hacking these companies and causing problems around the net, only gives congress more fuel for their censorship machine. They show the white house that they need to have a noose put on the neck of the internet to allow the government a chance to stop them before anything happens.
They only do what's right for the people (because the government clearly does not). But what do you think would happen if the government did place "a noose on the neck of the internet", as you put it? I think, personally, there'd be a revolution of sorts on your American governments hands. The government couldn't stop them with Internet censorship. You can only censor what you can find, and Anonymous would make it difficult to find them, but they'd still have their word going around. You can't kill Anonymous, they are one and they are many. We're all Anonymous.
I feel quite the opposite, they act out of their own interests but those interests are shared with the people. DDoS large companies is nothing but a headache, nothing more, its not damaging to them because in the thousand dollars of bandwidth they probably ran up, that's less than pennies to them, nothing. There would be protests, but it would further allow the US to enforce a police state in a complete blackout. Look at China, that is what you can expect from a blackout and police state. Anonymous is a bunch of tech savvy kids who know how to use computers to a decent extent. A government, especially one like the united states doesn't consider them a threat as they know they have the ability to make them disappear.

[quote author=Vodkush]
... and the government has much much MUCH more advanced technology ...
[/quote]
Yes, but Anonymous have people who literally have nothing better to do than DDoS websites and learn as much as they can about technology, learning and excelling at coding. They work with nothing and create beauty through chaos. Just because of the government has advanced technology, doesn't mean it's perfect. Anonymous will just keep poking and prodding until they find a problem, and they will exploit the living hell out of it.

[quote author=Vodkush]
Do these people not fucking think with their heads the consequences of what they do? Surely for something so coordinated there has to be someone with some sense of strategic knowledge.
[/quote]
They work together, so few for the benefit of so many. They all have varying opinions, ideas, etc. and those that are most beneficial to either their cause or the cause of the people is what they go with. The people who organise Anonymous and their ideas are the smartest out of the lot and understand fully what the repercussions of their actions could entail. Yet they proceed anyway, for you should not fear your government, your government should fear you and all it's people.
That's the downfall of the group, with so many differences, conflicts of ideology leaves the ability to start so much internal conflict, you don't know whose on your side, and who is willing to sell you out when they get caught. Reality kicks in real fucking fast when you hear the loud thud on your door and someone screaming Police search warrant. I don't believe they do understand the repercussions of their actions because to do something like that so close to the day the internet organized the SOPA protest, is again only fuel for the fire. It's still a largely debated topic, and could very well be the actions that cause some opposition to the bill to change back to support, because they realize exactly how volatile the net has become.

However, in some cases, you are correct. Their actions allow for congress to give The White House reasons to censor the internet and essentially destroy it, yet Obama is smart and wants a compromise between the Technology companies and Hollywood for both bills. SOPA & PIPA, for, however unlikely, those unaware.

I'll see if I can find the link, but it may have already been posted here.
[/quote]

When someone does something you don't like, do you act like an idiot and jump straight to punching them, or do you sit back and try to talk them down or intimidate them? The latter is generally better, because the first only escalates the problem.

I'm going to reply to this when I wake up, it's 3:30AM and I just tried to respond but it made literally no sense, and I couldn't think of words and my sentence structure just doesn't seem to be working right now.

Mave said:
GPow69 said:

Indeed, on the subject of the deep web, I did some lovely research, will make a big topic about the deep web later this weekend.

Is that really necessary..?

GPow69 said:
Mave said:
GPow69 said:

Is that really necessary..?
Hell yes. I saw some shit about it myself, but I had to quit for an exam... The deep web is some seriously fucked up place, but it's strangely fascinating.
Can't wait for your research Mave!

Back
Top Bottom