General SA-MP talk

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
sa-mp_logo.png

[quote author=SA-MP]SA-MP.com is a free Massively Multiplayer Online game mod for the PC version of Rockstar Games Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (tm). [/quote]

Official website: http://sa-mp.com/
Date development began: Mid 2006

A bit silly that after 10 years of TMS involvement in SA-MP there still wasn't an official discussion thread.

Kalcor the madman actually did release a new update. (release candidate as of now, but it does look promising)
http://forum.sa-mp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

SA-MP 0.3.8 RC

The 0.3.8 version of SA-MP will feature server-side custom models. Right now custom objects and custom player skins are supported, with more types planned for the future. Since this feature potentially has a large scope for some servers, 0.3.8 is being placed in to RC early. This gives server owners plenty of time to plan. These new features will take some time to formalise, so be please be patient with the release.

Although there are several new security features related to custom models, these are not yet enabled in the current build. Only use the RC version with people you trust as there could be unknown security flaws in GTA:SA's model formats.

How custom models work in SA-MP

Custom models are stored with the SA-MP server, usually in the 'models' folder. When a player connects, they are given a list of all models used by the server. Players will download models as required and store them by CRC in a 'cache' folder. Every server the player connects to has a seperate model cache. The local cache is located under: Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files\SAMP\cache followed by the server's IP.Port.

For custom player skins, the player will download all of these at the start of the game, since the game can't be paused to load skins. For objects attached to the player like accessories, these must be downloaded at the start also. For world objects, these will be downloaded depending what virtual world they are in. That means it's possible to have custom worlds that the player would not have to download until they entered the virtual world.

Model format

The skin format is the same as the game's normal format. Object models require a collision attached to the dff, and this collision has to be attached using the kdff tool.

The main modeling tools for GTA:SA are written for 3dsmax, although there are some other tools available for blender. I have made a short blender export tutorial available here.

Defining custom models in the artconfig.txt file

Custom models are currently defined in the server's artconfig.txt file. The line AddCharModel is used to add a new player model, and AddSimpleModel is used to define a custom object, which includes both world objects and objects that will be attached to players as accessories.

Quote:
Player skins use ranges: 20000 to 30000 (10000 slots)
Objects use negative IDs: -1000 to -30000 (29000 slots)
Other fixes since 0.3.7

- The radar outline should now scale properly in widescreen resolutions.
- A bug introduced to PlayerPlaySound with sound ID 0 should be fixed.
- Actors should now be able to rotate again.

I Especially like the custom objects you can add as a server. (just like MTA)

Well to be honest back then discussions were all about SA-MP, so there was no need to create seperate discussion thread for it :biggrin:

I still play this game, not so often though.

Mauri said:
Well to be honest back then discussions were all about SA-MP, so there was no need to create seperate discussion thread for it :biggrin:
True that.

Installed San Andreas and SA-MP again, for pure nostalgic reasons. Will try some servers tonight.

God it's been a while since I actually browsed this board, almost completely forgot this even existed, thanks for bringing this up again!

EDIT: Oh god the drama ,_,

Surprised to see UIF is still going strong. I remember chatting regularly with the owner. She was a bit of an ass though.
Bet she makes a ton of cash with that server. The VIP is €5/month! Back then she didn't have a job, I bet she's doing okay now.

I used to be part of staff back in 2007-2008 until it got closed down. Those were good times, nowadays I don't even care to visit there.

Mauri said:
I used to be part of staff back in 2007-2008 until it got closed down. Those were good times, nowadays I don't even care to visit there.
I imagine it would be impossible to read the chat haha

Visited some stunt servers today and to my surprise a lot of server use my maps, mostly /aa and /chilliad.
I don't know whether to be flattered or annoyed. (since these were released without my permission)

Mave said:
Visited some stunt servers today and to my surprise a lot of server use my maps, mostly /aa and /chilliad.
I don't know whether to be flattered or annoyed. (since these were released without my permission)
Unless they take credit, I'd go with flattered. If they claim they made them themselves, then I'd be annoyed.

^ Guess you’re right there, and I don’t think they did. Anyhow, this will only motivate me to make the new maps even better.

Silvester said:
Mave said:
^ Guess you’re right there, and I don’t think they did. Anyhow, this will only motivate me to make the new maps even better.
The hype is real, mate.
Give us those juicy, juicy maps.
Thick juicy maps coming up.

Visited that xSF server yesterday and oh boy was I raging.
90% of the maps are my maps, I bet the owner even chose "xSF" as their name so he could simply delete the "-SF" part from "SF-SF" and add an x in front everywhere...
Can't wait until the TMS server opens and someone from xSF claims I stole "their" maps. All my rage.

Holy shit that's crazy. I never visited the server and never will. Already heard so much shit from that server and how everything is stolen and broken.

Mauri said:
Holy shit that's crazy. I never visited the server and never will. Already heard so much shit from that server and how everything is stolen and broken.
One positive thing did come out of it: I'm improving all my old maps. Finished new glassjump this morning for example.

Back
Top Bottom