Y2K10 bug haunts PS3

[TMS]Hollowbusta

The Y2K bug came 10 years and two months late for PlayStation 3 owners, as yesterday a problem with internal calendars in pre-Slim models wreaked havoc on the PlayStation Network. Via tweets and forum updates, Sony says it is continuing to restore service, but for those who don't want to wait for the patch, there is a partial DIY fix.

Gamers greeted with the 8001050F error code can work around the problem by disabling their Internet connection and resetting the console's internal calendar. To do this, enter the System Settings menu and disable the network connection. Under Calendar, set the date to 3/1/2010, and then reboot the console. The partial fix, posted here on the PSN forum, means you'll be without Internet access and won't be able to play games that require a PSN connection, such as Heavy Rain.

Another fix, posted here on the PSN forum, will get the console back up and running completely, but gamers will not be able to access friends lists and other stored PSN account information. That's because the fix requires that you open an entirely new PSN account.

Beyond the workarounds, gamers will just have to wait. Sony is providing status updates via its Twitter account, but there has been no official word on the cause of the bug or whether or not seemingly lost data, such as Trophies, will be restored. The latest update, posted at approximately 11 p.m. EST on February 28, read: "PSN status update: We're narrowing down the issue and continue to work to restore service to all. Updates as soon as we have them."

Quote from GameSpy, original with links here: http://uk.ps3.gamespy.com/articles/107/1072919p1.html

I doubt it has to do with the year 2000 bug or something like 2038. Or perhaps it does. Did epoch just run out for PS3-bit systems lol.

Lots of PS3 owners going insane now I guess..

Oh well, Sony is working hard to fix it, I'm sure it'll be fixed in no time.

Luckily I have Slim :3 I can play Skate 2 without any problems :laugh:

I saw a lot about this on Facebook today, was pretty funny to see :tongue:

What did I tell you. The Y2K or 2038 bugs are purely epoch-related and the leap year bug Sony has isn't related to neither one of the previously mentioned.

It is fully fixed now btw.

Back
Top Bottom