USB port no longer working

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Hi guys, one of my four USB ports on my Vaio isn't working anymore...
I'm not really sure how this problem started, but that USB port doesn't recognize anything anymore...

Problem occurred a few weeks ago, but now I want to fix it, it's really annoying to have only 3 USB ports (2 left and only 1 right).

Please help me out, TMS :sir:

Does it output power? Like if you plug in your iPod does the iPod light up and show that it's charging?

If not then it's probably shot.

Check it with a Multimeter, and, if you can, open it and check the platine. Or ask someone to do it :wink:

GPow69 said:
Does it output power? Like if you plug in your iPod does the iPod light up and show that it's charging?

If not then it's probably shot.

It does NOT output power :/

@ Panki, it's a laptop, if I open it, I loose warranty.
But somehow I think this can be fixed without messing with the hardware, but changing some settings or so..

I really doubt it. I'm pretty sure your port is just broken

Oh well, it's not like you're completely out of them now. And you could always go buy a USB Hub, they're cheap. I have like 4 of them for some reason lol.

Maybe your OS detected an error on it then shut it down to prevent damages to your PC.

The second you power up your PC, plug something into the USB port, if it lights up then it's just an OS error / OS prevention for damages.

If it's dead when you barely turn on your PC, then you're pretty much screwed.

FrostBytez said:
The second you power up your PC, plug something into the USB port, if it lights up then it's just an OS error / OS prevention for damages.

If it's dead when you barely turn on your PC, then you're pretty much screwed.

That's brilliant.... How come I didn't think of that >.<

Yeah Mave have something with a light on it plugged in then boot up the PC, it should flash on for about a second then go back off for a bit until it's booted.

If it doesn't come on then
FrostBytez said:
you're pretty much screwed.

Back
Top Bottom