Ukraine to Open Chernobyl… to Tourism?

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
KIEV, Ukraine—Ukraine's government wants to turn Chernobyl, the site of the world's worst nuclear accident, into a tourism hotspot.

Ukraine's Emergency Situations Ministry said Monday it is working on a plan to open the area around the defunct plant—where a reactor exploded on April 26, 1986, spreading radiation across the then-Soviet states of Ukraine, Belarus and Russia—to visitors starting next month.

The ministry said radiation levels in certain parts of the so-called exclusion zone, which stretches 30 kilometers (19 miles) around the exploded reactor, were now returning to normal levels. Visitors will be able to take in views of the nuclear plant, as well as towns and villages that were abandoned in the disaster's aftermath.

xntLT.jpg

New official tour operators would have to meet strict criteria to be allowed to operate, said Yulia Yurshova, a spokesperson for the Emergency Situations Ministry, as straying from the route can be dangerous because of the threat of collapsing buildings and varying radiation levels.

"The Chernobyl zone isn't as scary as the whole world thinks," said Ms. Yurshova. "We want to work with big tour operators and attract Western tourists, from whom there's great demand."

Tens of thousands of people were evacuated from the exclusion zone following the accident and access to the area was restricted. Several hundred have since returned and some 2,500 workers still maintain the plant, which is now closed, entering the restricted area from a nearby town.

Tours to Chernobyl and the sealed area around the plant—many of which are run illegally, according to Ms. Yurshova—currently attract an estimated 6,000 visitors per year and cost around $150 for a daytrip.

Ms. Yurshova said official tours would begin in January. She said more details on how tour operators would be chosen would be announced next week.

Helen Clark, who heads the United Nations Development Program and visited the Chernobyl plant on Sunday with Emergency Situations Minister Viktor Baloha, said she supported the plan.

"There is an opportunity to tell a story here and of course the process of telling a story, even a sad story, is something that is positive in economic terms and positive in conveying very important messages," she said through a press officer.

Chernobyl is reachable on a day-trip from Kiev, which is adding new hotels ahead of the European soccer championship in 2012, which Ukraine is co-hosting with neighbor Poland. The government has an eye on the thousands of visitors expected to flood the country for that event.

Work on a new sarcophagus to seal the exploded reactor is expected to be completed by 2015, the ministry also announced on Monday. The huge shield, made of metal and concrete, will cost $1.2 billion and will be financed by Ukraine and international donors.

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703727804576017720342095028.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

That screenshot made me think of the sniper mission in CoD4.
I wouldn't got there though.

If it was 100% radio-active free, I would want to visit it, it's really a ghost town, should be pretty cool to see I guess.

What's a little bit of cancer if watching that place is cool? j/k

Now seriously, i would go there if i had the chance, i just love the feeling of like being in an empty city

I certainly wouldn't go to Russia full stop, I don't want to become an alocholic =D

Impulse said:
That screenshot made me think of the sniper mission in CoD4.

Yeah, or the MP map Bloc ::3:

I'd go. It looks pretty cool, and to think of what happened while visiting would be cool

Also thought off CoD4 :biggrin:
I wouldn't do it really... except if it was not radio active for some epic Paintball battles.

It would definitely be nice to visit Prypiat or the surrounding areas of Chernobyl nuclear plant. It is often said in the western media that no-one lives there etcetera, but the city has indeed very many visitors during daytime and in summer you can see russians trying to loot the 9-floor residental buildings although they have been closed off from some point.

Nimphioüs said:
I certainly wouldn't go to Russia full stop, I don't want to become an alocholic =D
You won't have to, Chernobyl is in Ukraine.

If I had a chance, I'd go there totally. And radiation, even if the date was now 1986, wouldn't be very harmful if someone was to stay there for a few hours. It won't do no harm unless you spend a night close to the plant or in Prypiat. And it is specifically harmless during winter months.

Those buildings are kinda cool.

People left their stuff there.

The place is like freezed on the russian 80's (not related to the american 80's.. it was a whole other shit)

I can explain a little bit how it was on the 80's cause a relative was there back in the 80's.

There were tourist shops where you could get jeans, bubble gums and stuff, but people from soviet russia (here comes the soviet russia jokes..) couldn't buy anything of that, they paid the tourists and asked them to buy stuff from there.. lool.

I just had to say how it was :tongue:

Not really, they were evacuated and they couldn't go onto there.. and they probably don't need all the shit they had there, cause it's all radioactive :wow:

Yeah i dont imagaine Its gonna be the next disney world or anything! I have seen that town on the history channel show life after pepole. It looks really cool, But i think If you see pictures of desrted building i dont really need to go there. If i was in russia there are lots of other things i would like to see. Like the Ice hotels they make in siberia

It already is a tourism hotspot, you just need to book it with someone in the Ukraine, and then they do all the paper work and they take you for a tour across pripyat (the city) and inside the buildings etc. But the reactor is a big big no no.

Back
Top Bottom