[TUTORIAL] How to remove Linux and install Windows 7

shiznit

(Everything in this guide is written by me. Programs are from microsoft)

Things you need:
*copy of Windows 7 installation disk/USB(if you don't have one read step (1)).

(1)
NOTE: This is for the people who don't have Windows 7 installation disk/USB. If you have that skip this step and go to step (2).
Things you need:
*ISO file with Windows 7 installation :arrr:
*removable USB stick(min 4GB) or a burnable DVD

*USB*
To make a bootable USB stick with Windows 7 on it you need to download and install this program.

Windows XP user might need these [.NET Framework 2.0] [Image Mastering API 2.0] two programs to make Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool work(for Image Mastering API 2.0. you need original copy of windows XP on your comp)

Now follow the instructions in the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and wait for the program to make you a bootable USB stick with Windows 7 on it.

*DVD*
To make a bootable DVD use programs like PowerISO
Use the program to burn your Windows 7 ISO file to your DVD.

(2)

* Insert your Windows 7 DVD/USB into your computer
* Boot from the DVD/USB(to do that you might need to press esc, f12 or f8 when you computer starts to boot. You need to select Boot Options and make it boot from the USB/DVD. Note that all computers have different BIOS so I can't really help you if you have problems with this part. Google might be able to help you out there :)).

Now wait until you see this:
Windows7-2008-11-04-14-54-06.jpg

Choose your settings and click "Next".

This is the next image:
Windows7-2008-11-04-14-54-23.jpg

Click "Install Now".

Accept and click next.

Now you see this image:
Windows7-2008-11-04-14-54-52.jpg

Click on "Custom (advanced)"

This appears:
Windows7-2008-11-04-14-55-06.jpg

Click "Drive Options (advanced)"

Now this appears:
Windows7-2008-11-04-14-55-10.jpg

There are one or two drives there. Select the drive where your Linux is and click "Delete".
Click "Next".

Now this:
Windows7-2008-11-04-14-55-38.jpg

Now wait till windows installs. Choose your settings and enjoy your brand new Windows 7!

PEACE!

Re: How to remove Linux and install Windows 7

Didn't test, but it will work.

GCookie.png
Cookie given ^_^

Why should one have Linux in the first place?

shiznit said:
as I have heard some machines have Linux preinstalled on em when you buy em.

If you buy a Mac, it will have Macintosh. If you buy a PC, it will have Windows. If you buy a second hand PC from a nerd, it Might have Linux, but usually it'll have more then 1 OS because Linux for gaming is like trying to screw a lemon peel. I don't think I've ever heard of buying a new machine with a pre-installation of Linux :tongue:. Then again, I could be wrong...

Also if you would ever like to expand this tutorial, I would like to point out that boot settings are sometimes the hardest things to mess with when installing an OS xD. On my mother's computer (which must be about 8 years old now) I had to completely disable every other possible boot device before it would even think of booting from the CD drive. Also, dual booting would interest a lot of people :tongue:. Maybe explain how to partition a hard drive.

Austin said:
shiznit said:
as I have heard some machines have Linux preinstalled on em when you buy em.

If you buy a Mac, it will have Macintosh. If you buy a PC, it will have Windows. If you buy a second hand PC from a nerd, it Might have Linux, but usually it'll have more then 1 OS because Linux for gaming is like trying to screw a lemon peel. I don't think I've ever heard of buying a new machine with a pre-installation of Linux :tongue:. Then again, I could be wrong...

Also if you would ever like to expand this tutorial, I would like to point out that boot settings are sometimes the hardest things to mess with when installing an OS xD. On my mother's computer (which must be about 8 years old now) I had to completely disable every other possible boot device before it would even think of booting from the CD drive. Also, dual booting would interest a lot of people :tongue:. Maybe explain how to partition a hard drive.
You meant:
But usually I have more than 1 OS because Windows for anything except gaming is like trying to screw a lemon peel.
Dell sells PCs and notebooks with Ubuntu. And some others do, too. But I also disagree with a pre-installation of a linux based system. Because I want to have a CLEAN and formatted harddrive, no Linux and no Windows, so I can chose.

And you overstate it. Since Wine 1.2 and CrossOver 9.1 (the paid version of wine, which is easier and has more features) you can play many games like Fallout 3 with proper FPS.
And it isn't the fault of Linux. It is the fault of the game developers, who are only using Windows' API: DirectX or engines based on DirectX and other things, wich are closed and only exists for Windows, instead of open APIs (like OpenGL for 3D), open engines, ..

that boot settings are sometimes the hardest things to mess with when installing an OS
+1. I just installed OpenSolaris and it was a drama. OpenSolaris overwrites the MBR without asking. But you have to keep OpenSolaris` Grub, because you can only boot into ZFS with the modified version of Grub by OpenSolaris, other Grub installations will fail. The problem was, that OpenSolaris couldn't boot into ext4, which my linux distribution was using as filesystem, because its Grub doesn't support it. So I needed to boot with the grub of OpenSolaris (via chainloader) into the grub of my linux installation and then boot into my linux installation.. The whole boot loader mess.

Austin said:

I would love to add that to my guide but I'm not that good in that either because all the computer skills I have have, came from my own experience. I have never had problems setting up any of my PCs or laptops to boot from different places. If you could maybe write a tutorial on it yourself and post it here I would add it to my guide with credits given to you :)

I'm a lazy son on a bitch :(. But for partitioning your HDD I recommend people research GParted :tongue:.

Back
Top Bottom