Sydney light up orange in an almighty sand storm

Andre

Dust storms swept over Sydney Wednesday morning, turning the city sky so red, some residents thought they’d left the blue planet.

“It was like waking up on Mars,” Sydney resident Marcus Schappi wrote in an e-mail to Wired.com.

Residents of eastern Australia have had to battle these bizarre conditions, because strong winds from the dry interior swept up dust and brought it gusting into the city.

“An intense north low pressure area formed and generated gale-force westerly winds during yesterday, and those winds picked up a lot of dust from the very dry interior of the continent,” Barry Hanstrum, New South Wales regional director at the Bureau of Meteorology, told Bloomberg.

Even though they knew what was happening, the strangeness of the event understandably caught Sydneysiders off guard. A Twitter hashtag to track the event, #sydneyduststorm, quickly appeared. One @wiredscience follower on Twitter declared it “a leeetle apocalyptic,” and none of them had ever experienced dust storms of a comparable intensity in their lifetimes. Perhaps the only similar event in recent Australian history was a massive dust storm in Melbourne in 1983.

In other areas of southern Australia like Broken Hill — well inland in western New South Wales — the storms have been even more intense. Dust storms have occasionally blacked out the sky, as you can see in this incredible video.

syd_1.jpg

syd_2.jpg

syd_3.jpg

syd_4.jpg

syd_5.jpg

syd_6.jpg

syd_7.jpg

syd_8.jpg

syd_9.jpg

syd_10.jpg

syd_11.jpg

syd_13.jpg

Kanye West:
syd_12.jpg

Videos:

BrlD22HwPvI[/media]#normal]Broken Hill comes over pitch black during a dust storm

Sydney Dust Storm (in Maroubra)

In brisbane we didn't get the red colour, we got this colour.
syd_10.jpg

I was @ my grandads mowing the back paddock and they sky was grey, and I thought it was going to rain, then an hour later it got to that colour ^^.

On my way home it started to fuck my lungs, and was hard to see a far distance :tongue:. But it will clear up tonight hopefully.

UGH
If I were alone somewhere when the pitch black from the YT video comes, I would shit ma pants :O

i slept during the day and work up and that was outside =]

The dust is now back, "second load" I will try and take some pics tomorrow if it's still there, as it's dark atm :X

Mave said:
^ Can't wait to see the new pictures (make a new thread for it)

It was too dark to take pictures, and by the time it was daylight all the dust was gone.

Back
Top Bottom