Sony's Whopping 84-Inch 4K TV Will Dominate Your Living Room

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
s93b1.jpg

If you find your 55″ 1080p TV set is just too small and pixelated, you’ll be thrilled to know the next generation of ridiculously enormous, ultra-high-resolution smart TVs are on the way. Get ready for 4K TV.

On Wednesday, Sony introduced the 84-inch XBR-84X900, a 3840 x 2160 resolution LCD TV. It incorporates a detachable 10-speaker audio system that offers “virtual” 5.1 surround sound. It also features built-in WiFi so you can slurp down video and music from Netflix, Pandora, and around 50 other providers through the Sony Entertainment Network.

The 84-inch display will provide a much more immersive, cinema-like experience for the home. But much to the chagrin of some cinephiles, the set also offers 3-D, which you’ll need to enjoy with the accompanying 3D glasses. Consumers have repeatedly shown that they’re not into popping on a pair of glasses just to attempt to enjoy 3-D at home.

For the unfamiliar, 4K resolution displays boast 8 million pixels and a resolution four times that of full HD. And the number itself can be a little confusing. 720p and 1080p displays are for the number of vertical pixels, but the 4K term refers to the number of horizontal pixels.

Previously the stuff of high-end projectors, 4K has made inroads into televisions as of late. LG introduced its own 4K television set at CES 2012. Other manufacturers like Sharp and Toshiba have released smaller 4K TV sets.

While there’s not that much 4K resolution video out there, Sony has a list of its 4K movie releases online. You can get a taste for the 4K experience with a handful of videos posted on YouTube.

Price and availability for Sony’s XBR-84X900 haven’t yet been announced, but it won’t be cheap. Toshiba’s 55-inch 4K set, announced last December, was priced at nearly $12,000. Sony says the set will ship some time this year.

Source: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/sonys-84-inch-4k-tv/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

This is fucking awesome, yet so pricy :/ No really need for yet though.

Silvarray said:
No need for it at all, rather. Besides, 84 inches is huge; do people actually have TVs of this size? :wacko:

I know nobody with a TV that big, but I would love to have one ::3:

Woah. Both of you have some pretty large TVs. I don't think my family has ever owned a TV larger than 28-30 inches in diagonal..
But, to be honest, I don't really need anything bigger than that. That size is just perfect for me! :)
About 5 years ago, I visited a classmate's house, and she had a 60 inch TV in her living room. If it were biologically possible, my jaw would have fallen to the floor with a force of 50G.

Silvarray said:
Woah. Both of you have some pretty large TVs. I don't think my family has ever owned a TV larger than 28-30 inches in diagonal..
But, to be honest, I don't really need anything bigger than that. That size is just perfect for me! :)
About 5 years ago, I visited a classmate's house, and she had a 60 inch TV in her living room. If it were biologically possible, my jaw would have fallen to the floor with a force of 50G.

Well our TV downstairs is only 30inch I think.
I got mine almost-new (owner returned it after two weeks) That's why it was so cheap.

Back
Top Bottom