Sony dropping PSP price to $129

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Sony has substantially cut the price of its PlayStation Portable.

Starting Sunday, consumers can get their hands on the portable-gaming device for $129.99--the same price as the Nintendo DS Lite. The PSP currently sells for $169.99.

TdEXt.jpg

In addition, Sony has added 13 titles, including Assassin's Creed Bloodlines and Dissidia Final Fantasy, to its "Greatest Hits" and "Favorites" lines of games. Titles in the Greatest Hits list will retail for $19.99, while titles in the Favorites line will go for $9.99.

Sony has shipped 23 million PSP units to the U.S. and 67.8 million units worldwide since the device launched in 2005. North American customers have a catalog of 590 games, the company said today.

The decision to drop the price may result from Sony's diminishing sales of the device over the past year. Sales in the U.S. have been easily overshadowed by Nintendo's DS, the leader in the mobile-gaming space.

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter reported last week that he believes Sony sold just 80,000 PSP units in the U.S. last month, down 20 percent from January 2010. Last August, the final month in which market researcher NPD publicly reported hardware sales figures, Sony sold just 79,400 PSP units. It had sold 140,300 PSP units in August 2009.

The PSP has also let down video game retailer GameStop. Bob McKenzie, the retailer's senior vice president of merchandising and marketing, said late last year that the number of titles released for the PSP in 2010 was a "disappointment."

In an attempt to change its luck in the mobile market, Sony unveiled the Next Generation Portable in January. The device is a follow-up to the PSP and includes dual thumbsticks, 3G connectivity, a touch screen, and two cameras. It also comes with an improved display over that of the current PSP. Sony said at the time that the platform would feature PlayStation 3-like graphical capability.

The new device is scheduled to launch at year's end.

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20036377-17.html?tag=topTechContentWrap;mostShared

Kryogenic Napalm said:
Son of a bitch! I just picked one of these up last month for a good $220 with accessories :(
What Datacode has it? The Datacode is written beneath the battery.

I still have my 1004 (i think it had a 4 in the end) PSP, it's battery is almost dead and for some reason it got fatter and doesn't fit in the battery place with the cover.

Seriously, i would do anything to get a new psp :S

I still have that very first PSP model what came to store.

Damn, I would do many things with that but it's quite hard to do a shit with 32Mb memory card.

Mauri said:
Damn, I would do many things with that but it's quite hard to do a shit with 32Mb memory card.

Are you serious?

I got 1 2GB and one 1GB stick :tongue:

Also, did you guys flash a CFW on it?

I've a 512MB card on mine, i changed the 32MB one about a week after i bought my PSP. (512MB was a lot in 2005 for a memory card :tongue:)

Also, mine's running the normal firmware, i don't wanna brick it :(

Fries said:
Aman1238 said:
Kryogenic Napalm said:
Son of a bitch! I just picked one of these up last month for a good $220 with accessories :(
Sucks :/ If you would have spared $80 more you could have gotten a PS3 though D:
Yeah srsly, its not worth it @ that price.
It was a gift for someone, it was the God Of War Ghosts of sparta thing, came with a 4 gig stick, kick ass, god of war chains of olympus and ghosts of sparta, and then some vouchers for stuff on PSN, and then I got a $20 starter kit for her, screen protector, case, car charger etc.

Kryogenic Napalm said:
Fries said:
Aman1238 said:
Kryogenic Napalm said:
Sucks :/ If you would have spared $80 more you could have gotten a PS3 though D:
Yeah srsly, its not worth it @ that price.
It was a gift for someone, it was the God Of War Ghosts of sparta thing, came with a 4 gig stick, kick ass, god of war chains of olympus and ghosts of sparta, and then some vouchers for stuff on PSN, and then I got a $20 starter kit for her, screen protector, case, car charger etc.
Sexy red and black PSP 3000 with 6.30(+) OFW.
Search the internet for HENs (Homebrew Enablers) if you wanna CFW it.

Oh god...
I have 2 8gb memsticks (one of which I cannot find atm, and the other of which is currently being borrowed D:)
Mine is the 1st Gen PSP, 5.50GEN-D2
Have tons of games on my PC but haven't played any in the longest while.

I got 5.02 GEN-A, and I lost my Pandora battery :( Whatever, GEN can convert batterys, thats why I chose it above M33-

Back
Top Bottom