School: A Modern Form of Enslavement

Austin

Austin M. Desmond - October 12th, 2011

We as children are forced - by law - to attend and commit to a constitution which enforces the societal views of others, given that these views are held by the majority. Whatever happened to individualism? This so-called ‘free country’ allows you to be free under the condition that you do exactly what society expects of you; for fear of impoverishment, homelessness or even legal consequences. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I could have sworn that that was quite the opposite of definition of ‘free.’ In fact, it quite borders along the lines of ‘enslavement.’

It is understandable that as children we do not have the choice of education for good reason. We are too young to realize that we cannot lead a fulfilling life in the society we currently live in without the ability to read, write and answer mathematical formulas. However, there is a fine line between creating people who can think for themselves and creating so-called ‘wage slaves.’ We are born into this world free, open minded and extremely vulnerable to influence from those and what we are surrounded by.

Once what others expect from us has been drilled into our heads - not what we expect of ourselves of course, which would be a truism in a truly free social order - we are told to pick in which way we would like to benefit society. We are told, not asked. Sure, we can pretend that we had a choice in the matter - if you wanted to end up on the streets. We can serve businessmen their coffee at Tim Hortons, or we can serve burgers to the construction workers at McDonalds. You have to remember that these institutions, such as the fast food major chains previously mentioned, do not exist to benefit the working class. They exist as a means to gain wealth - and ultimately power - for a select few; the people who truly control society, by means of offering a service of an infinite give-and-take cluster/circle for (or against) the people who truly benefit society: the working class.

The wealthy, or who can also be seen as the powerful, decide what we see - what we are surrounded by during our childhood - and control what the working class is permitted to think, and in a manner program us to be a certain way. It’s a great brainwashing technique - decide what we are to believe before we have the chance to believe anything. A great way of controlling a population is the media. When we as children see people dressing a certain way, acting a certain way, and having certain things, we as susceptible, vulnerable children are programmed to think that this is the way things are meant to be. We do not decide things are meant to be this way - we simply absorb what we are given before we are mature enough to know the difference.

Lets say that you did not want to quit high school as soon as you legally could - or as soon as your parents wouldn’t condemn you - and decided that a minimum wage job just wasn’t for you. You wanted to strive for higher goals and a higher quality of life. So, unless you have rich parents (in which case you probably would not have to work anyway) you are expected to apply for a student loan. Once you have the loan in your pocket, the people you borrowed from now own you. Once you have completed your post-secondary schooling you are expected to find a job. You have to find a job, because you are on a leash of debt. You have no other option - realistically of course - but to do what you were taught to do.

Of course, at the end of the day, you are doing exactly what ‘they’ want you to do. You are not the wealthy, you are not calling the shots. You are, in fact, working for the wealthy. Simply giving the people of power more power of what control your children with. You are living in a society you did not chose to live - just trying to survive, like everybody else. You are following the instructions that have been drilled into your head of what is expected of you. We never ask ourselves if we truly chose to live the way we did, we only ever ask ourselves if we chose the right option from the list given to us. Pick the cotton or wash the barn? Your choice, it’s a free country. Right?

Austin said:
Austin M. Desmond - October 12th, 2011

We as children are forced - by law - to attend and commit to a constitution which enforces the societal views of others, given that these views are held by the majority. Whatever happened to individualism? This so-called ‘free country’ allows you to be free under the condition that you do exactly what society expects of you; for fear of impoverishment, homelessness or even legal consequences. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I could have sworn that that was quite the opposite of definition of ‘free.’ In fact, it quite borders along the lines of ‘enslavement.’

It is understandable that as children we do not have the choice of education for good reason. We are too young to realize that we cannot lead a fulfilling life in the society we currently live in without the ability to read, write and answer mathematical formulas. However, there is a fine line between creating people who can think for themselves and creating so-called ‘wage slaves.’ We are born into this world free, open minded and extremely vulnerable to influence from those and what we are surrounded by.

Once what others expect from us has been drilled into our heads - not what we expect of ourselves of course, which would be a truism in a truly free social order - we are told to pick in which way we would like to benefit society. We are told, not asked. Sure, we can pretend that we had a choice in the matter - if you wanted to end up on the streets. We can serve businessmen their coffee at Tim Hortons, or we can serve burgers to the construction workers at McDonalds. You have to remember that these institutions, such as the fast food major chains previously mentioned, do not exist to benefit the working class. They exist as a means to gain wealth - and ultimately power - for a select few; the people who truly control society, by means of offering a service of an infinite give-and-take cluster/circle for (or against) the people who truly benefit society: the working class.

The wealthy, or who can also be seen as the powerful, decide what we see - what we are surrounded by during our childhood - and control what the working class is permitted to think, and in a manner program us to be a certain way. It’s a great brainwashing technique - decide what we are to believe before we have the chance to believe anything. A great way of controlling a population is the media. When we as children see people dressing a certain way, acting a certain way, and having certain things, we as susceptible, vulnerable children are programmed to think that this is the way things are meant to be. We do not decide things are meant to be this way - we simply absorb what we are given before we are mature enough to know the difference.

Lets say that you did not want to quit high school as soon as you legally could - or as soon as your parents wouldn’t condemn you - and decided that a minimum wage job just wasn’t for you. You wanted to strive for higher goals and a higher quality of life. So, unless you have rich parents (in which case you probably would not have to work anyway) you are expected to apply for a student loan. Once you have the loan in your pocket, the people you borrowed from now own you. Once you have completed your post-secondary schooling you are expected to find a job. You have to find a job, because you are on a leash of dept Should be DEBT, unless I'm misreading that. You have no other option - realistically of course - but to do what you were taught to do.

Of course, at the end of the day, you are doing exactly what ‘they’ want you to do. You are not the wealthy, you are not calling the shots. You are, in fact, working for the wealthy. Simply giving the people of power more power of what control your children with. You are living in a society you did not chose to live - just trying to survive, like everybody else. You are following the instructions that have been drilled into your head of what is expected of you. We never ask ourselves if we truly chose to live the way we did, we only ever ask ourselves if we chose the right option from the list given to us. Pick the cotton or wash the barn? Your choice, it’s a free country. Right?
Good paper, your teacher must really love you huh? LOL

You didn't have to quote that, lol. Na I just in was pissy mood last night so I decided to write an article on my views of schooling and our current society. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet, just looking for other peoples opinions or how it is in their country.

Edit: Just saw your grammar edit, thanks for that :3.

Okay, I'm glad to be hearing other's opinions on the matter :). Could you go more in-dept on why you feel this way?

Austin said:
Okay, I'm glad to be hearing other's opinions on the matter :). Could you go more in-dept on why you feel this way?
Well, from the start you assume one thing. One thing which influences your entire essay/paper. That thing is that you assume that every rich person is a money grubbing power infested basterd, to put things bluntly that is. Ofcourse there are people out there like this, but there are always people out there who aren't. You were also talking about the student loan, whereas a company owns you. Now I assuming that most students are a normal students who finish their studies, who get propper jobs and students who don't get into troubles. Now that I have assumed this I feel like I can safely say that these students will be able to pay of these loans after they have finished their studies. They are not owned by these companies as long as they pay of their debts. The debts which they can easily pay of if they thought everything through. Now there are ofcourse companies out there who hope to own you in some sort of way, though that also has to do with the choice the student took. The student's decission was the thing which caused him to be owned.

You also seem to assume that it is impossible to change the world. I understand that it is pretty hard to change things as they are at the moment, but this is not impossible. Also, the implanting ideas of the companies into the heads of the children is partially the fault of the parents.

I am not saying that the students and the parents are the main problem. I am saying that they are part of the problem. The problem lies with everyone and everything. If you take a closer look you might realise that everything is connected. That everything is the cause and effect of each other.

Well, from the start you assume one thing. One thing which influences your entire essay/paper. That thing is that you assume that every rich person is a money grubbing power infested basterd, to put things bluntly that is. Ofcourse there are people out there like this, but there are always people out there who aren't.

Rich and wealthy are different. The wealthy are the people who sign the rich's paychecks. Michael Jordan is rich, not wealthy. Of course, this example has no relevance to the article.
So what wealthy people are not money-grubbing money off of the working class, simply by letting them go along their day and letting their money flow in?

For arguments sake, I am saying that people like movie actors are part of the working-class, not the wealthy. The major company's such as Warner Bros are the wealthy, who are making money off of the working class's (the actors) work. Sure you can argue "if there was no Warner Bros, there would be no -enter name of actor who works for Warner Bros-" however, why is it that the actors make nearly nothing compared to what the company makes? They're not doing the work, they're having the work done. What do you think the writers strike was about?

You were also talking about the student loan, whereas a company owns you.

I wasn't using that was the bases of the article. The article is centered around the fact that: We are living someone else's life. You are told what to do and how to behave when you are born, and you follow that out. You don't truly make your own choices. Student loads simply play a part in that.

You also seem to assume that it is impossible to change the world.

Not at all. I'm simply trying to open peoples eyes to what's going on, changing the world is a completely different step altogether.

Looking at the wealthy people part of the story I have this to say:

You say that they are in control, the rich and wealthy. This is true to some degree. They indeed control what we do, but I believe there is some sort of balance here. They must also obey to what we want. If they were not to do that people would be dissatisfied. Strikes would happen and people would just simply stop working. Now these wealthy people are forced to change. To change the way the company works. If they decide not to do so their company could and most likely would collaps. This sort of thing has happend before. The last time something like this truely happend and a gigantic scale was during the Industrial Revolution in the UK and Europe at the time. I'll just build up the story a little bit. The rich and wealthy were in control. They owned the factories, they owned the people who worked there and they owned the government to some degree. At first they had some small strikes, which were struck down quickly. For a long time they were scared to do it again, but at some point of time they all get fed up with it. They could not take it anymore. They decided to keep on going untill they got what they wanted. At some point this worked. They got what they wanted, it wasn't the best, but it was a great start. All of that has led to the world we live in today. There is still control. Though that control is not that big. The government and companies are strictly seperated (at least that is the case here in the Netherlands). Though when we decide to stop working all together without a reason the goverment will have to step in. They will have to force us to work for the sake of the entire country not falling apart.

Well, with school it's always best to get an education and complete all grades, regardless of your enslavement idealology because knowledge = power.

With student loans, you're an idiot if you ever get one, or any loan for that matter, the best piece of advice is "Live within your means" never spend more than what you earn. :tongue:

I didn't read everything posted but here's my stance on school:

School is necessary, especially as a child. If children were given the "choice" of whether they want to go to school or stay home and watch TV, guess what most of them would say? At the end of the day, school is worth going to and it's worth learning the material it has to offer. Think of how little the world would progress if school wasn't mandatory. Once you turn 18 and it is assumed that you have some common sense and knowledge, you're given the opportunity to choose your own path of education and later on, your career.

As for student loans, you should find a college where you will get financial aid and still be able to follow your career path. If you know you won't be able to pay off our student loans in a very long time, you should reconsider your career path or college choice.

A person with a High School diploma is a lot more likely to get a job than a person without one and a High School diploma is free of charge.
A person with a degree from a college is a lot more likely to get a job than a person without one and a degree from a community college, while not the best college in the world, is relatively cheap and affordable for the middle class.

The overall point is, if you put in effort you can do well, regardless of your economic status.
Here in New York you are encouraged to do well in school and the SUNY system provides excellent financial aid as well as a great education.

Your points about the rich are true to some extent. Obviously, we live in a world in which money = power but as stated before, knowledge = power as well. If you apply yourself and don't slack off, you will probably get somewhere. You might not be world renowned with billions of dollars but at the least, you'll be middle class living a decent life.

If you think this way of life is a tool that is used by the rich and powerful in order to further their riches and power while suppressing the other classes, look at it this way:
We are offered a chance at education for free whereas people in places like Haiti or Darfur are not even offered a chance for an education. This is because the people in power know that people with education would lead to uprisings and revolts, ultimately ending with them losing their power. They deliberately choose to deny the masses a proper education.
This should make it clear that knowledge = power and schools are not an instrument of the rich in order to suppress the masses but actually an instrument which provides the masses with a way out of their social class and go higher on the ladder of society. I believe we live in a great society because we have the opportunity to go higher on the social ladder. In places like Haiti or Darfur or even India in the old days, people are/were not given the opportunity to rise up at all. They are/were stuck within the social class they were born in.

To better understand the situation, how much is a student loan for university in Canada?
I'm in college right now and I only need to pay like 100€ for it/year + the books (150€).
My parents pay that for me, but I could easily work a few days and pay it myself.

Mave said:
To better understand the situation, how much is a student loan for university in Canada?
I'm in college right now and I only need to pay like 100€ for it/year + the books (150€).
My parents pay that for me, but I could easily work a few days and pay it myself.

Holy fucking fuck I'm moving there for College.

Mave said:

Please don't forget that the article isn't based around student loans xD.

Well, university for my brother (just tuition) is somewhere within the range of ~$10,000 (or ~7,115€) for one year. On average university extends over 4 years, so about ~$40,000 (or ~28,458€). However, most students don't live at home while going to university. The loan also includes accommodation, food, etc. My brother's loan is about ~$17,000 a year, so over a 4 year period that's ~$68,000 (or ~48,379€).

Personally I'm going to community college (which is where the Government pays for most of the tuition) so I'm only paying ~$2,400 (~1,707€) a year over two years. However my loan is about ~$11,000 (7,826€) a year. Note that students' do not actually decide the amount they get, the office simply takes your details and assigns you a number.

It's a pretty good paper, but I disagree with some ideas. In most of North America, there is a minimum dropout age from school (which is usually the age when you can work full-time) for a reason; if kids were dropping out of school because they did not think they needed the education, you would have a very bad generation after yours. Getting an education is important so that you can do your part in humanity and possibly discover something new that could make everyone's lives easier. If you did not have any education, then it would be really hard to make use of the current technology, let alone inventing something new. Even if you did invent something new, it is very likely that it will be something that has already been invented. I say you need to strive to invent something, because then you are NOT anyone's slave. You and you only are responsible for how you do your work, and in which way. But to get to that point in life, you will definitely need some prior knowledge to make your own life easier. Imagine trying to invent a toaster with no prior knowledge of electrical engineering, or circuits. You would need to do a lot of experiments and it would most definitely be a while until you finally make one.

But, there are other aspects that I agree with. The businessmen situation is very true; if you have a lot of money, then you are considered as a 'King'. But they alone do not decide - at least for me - what is right and what is wrong. I do not have to follow in anyone's steps, but my own.

Also, you said, "we simply absorb what we are given before we are mature enough to know the difference", does that not contradict your own point? If you are not mature enough to make your own decisions, obviously you need some schooling either from your parents/guardian, or from school.

The student loan is also very messy in the US. There are some teachers that are still paying off their student loans, after several years. There is a concept of "In-State" and "Out-of-State" tuition fees. This is only for public schools, different from Community Colleges. The In-state tuition fees are lower than out-of-state because of taxes. If you have been paying taxes in the state and living in it for at least a year, you can qualify for the in-state tuition. One of the universities I would like to go to has an in-state tuition of around $10,000, and out of state of about $30,000 per year. This is including books, food, tuition fees, extra costs etc. I definitely cannot pay either of those, so my parents will probably help me out, until I can get a stable job to pay them.

There are also private colleges/universities which do not have an in-state or out-of-state since they are not partially government funded. Their costs match with the out-of-state of $30,000/year or higher.

$10,000 = 7242 Euros
$30,000 = 21728 Euros

The government should invest more tax payer money in student loans over there, seriously.

Mave said:
The government should invest more tax payer money in student loans over there, seriously.

>Implying the government has any tax payer money to spare

GPow69 said:
Mave said:

>Implying the government has any tax payer money to spare
It has tons, its all about reallocating those tax payer dollars. Instead of pissing away money on uselessly high national defence budgets, re-allocate it to education and community programs.

There is also a problem of baby boomers (lots of children after WWII) and the debate about Social Security (a kind of welfare for retired people). All the baby boomers are retiring in the next decade, and us (teenagers) have to work for them to get welfare because they can't work anymore. The total workforce after the baby boomers retire is very little, because the birth rate isn't as high as it was after WWII. So we either have to pay more taxes in order to compensate for the large amount of people retiring, or they have to retire 3-6 years late, or get less money.
This has nothing to do with student loans, but it's one more topic in the government that will push back the topic of student loans from being discussed...

The debt is another issue that i don't wanna type right now lol

Back
Top Bottom