Run-DMC hit out against modern hip-hop: 'It's 98 per cent bad demos'

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Run-DMC hit out against modern hip-hop: 'It's 98 per cent bad demos'

Wyhvfly.jpg

Run-DMC's DMC has criticised contemporary hip-hop for being "disrespectful" and "immature".

The rapper, real name Darryl McDaniels, told Metro that the biggest names in hip-hop today release bad demos, promote violence and gun culture and have sapped the genre of its original "good intentions".

UZ5wm6a.jpg

"I say 98 per cent of the hip-hop music that's out now is just bad demos," he said. Speaking about the use of violence in music videos, he added: "A rapper will use the excuse, 'They don't go after Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis when they make their violent movies'. I go, 'If you're going to use that, get off the mic, don't produce. I'll personally kick your ass out of hip-hop – if you're using that excuse, go be an actor."

DMC added that while he and his fellow Run-DMC rappers Joseph 'Run' Simmons and the late Jason 'Jam Master Jay' Mizell made negative records, they countered it with a positive message. He stated: "If you make a record about a gun, on that same record or album there's gotta be something about not using a gun. If you're making a record on the bitches or the hoes, there's gotta be a record about your aunt who worked all the days of her life to send her children to college."

The problem, he claimed, is that the genre has lost is positive intentions. He insisted: "The reason hip-hop exists is because it started out with good intentions – once all the good intentions left, the music became polluted, it became disrespectful, it became immature."

Source: http://www.nme.com/news/run-dmc/71838

It's true.
What happened to the old rap?
Dr. Dre, Good ol Snoop, NWA, Wu Tang Clan, Big L (RIP ;_;7)...

Panki said:
It's true.
What happened to the old rap?
Dr. Dre, Good ol Snoop, NWA, Wu Tang Clan, Big L (RIP ;_;7)...
Also Method Man, Mobb Deep, old Nas, BIG, Raekwon,...
Still listen to that stuff daily, there's only a really small percentage of 'modern' rap I do like.

^ BLACK & YELLOW BLACK & YELLOW BLACK & YELLOW BLACK & YELLOW or RACK CITY BITCH RACK RACK CITY BITCH RACK CITY BITCH RACK RACK CITY BITCH surely isn't part of that.

Panki said:
^ BLACK & YELLOW BLACK & YELLOW BLACK & YELLOW BLACK & YELLOW or RACK CITY BITCH RACK RACK CITY BITCH RACK CITY BITCH RACK RACK CITY BITCH surely isn't part of that.
Black and Yellow is only fun when your drunk and/or partying.

And with all music it's the same: There is great old music, and shitty old music. There is shitty new music, and great new music. I agree that Snoop had better material back in the old days, and it's the same with lots of other artists.
But listen to Eminem's Beautiful. It's (relatively) new, but still hits like a hammer. Or search for Atmosphere. The lyrics, the flow, it's the same good shit as older rap music.

Back
Top Bottom