"PC easily a generation ahead" - Crytek

Mauri

Custom title here
Global Moderator
pic1.jpg

Picture from Finnish gaming news site v2.fi

In terms of raw grunt, the PC is "easily a generation ahead" of consoles, Crysis maker Crytek believes.

But games can't tear ahead because publishers are self-inflicting handicaps in order to satisfy the living room.

"PC is easily a generation ahead right now," Crytek boss Cervat Yerli told Edge Magazine (via CVG).
"With 360 and PS3 we believe the quality of games beyond Crysis 2 and other CryEngine developments will
be pretty much limited to what their creative expression is - what the content is.
You won't be able to squeeze more juice from those rocks.

"As long as the current console generation exists and as long as we keep pushing the PC as well,
the more difficult it'll be to really get the benefit of both."

Crytek is renowned/infamous for Crysis' demanding PC system requirements.
The result was a fantastic visual treat, but the barrier to entry was high.
As a result, Crytek opted to make Crysis 2 a multi-platform endeavour.

"If you're working on blockbuster productions then you have to sell blockbuster numbers,
and those are only made nowadays in the living room," he said. "As long as PC gaming doesn't have
its approval from gamers there,
I think it's going to be difficult to push next-gen gaming on it."

"This is a commercially driven industry. If you want next-generation technology-driven games,
you'll have to wait for next-generation home entertainment devices that can power better graphics and more computation time."

"A lot [of developers] don't consider PC a big issue any more," Yerli added.
"Their expectations are nowhere near what they are for the console versions. Until the PC market creates comparable revenues,
companies are not going to spend enough on the PC SKU of the game."

Crytek isn't shy, and confidence in Crysis 2 is sky-high - at least publicly. Executive producer Nathan Camarillo told
Eurogamer Crysis 2 can be as big as Call of Duty - "We say why not?" - before blabbering on about how hard it will be to reach the assumed 90 per cent review score.

Crysis 2 will be released in March 2011. Christian Donlan took a long, hard look at the game earlier this year.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-26-pc-easily-a-generation-ahead-crytek

TL;DR
The consoles are getting shit, buy a gaming PC.

True tho, that's why I bought mine ;_;

This is a quite obvious fact, your PC allows for alot more customizability as well.
Just think about it:
You can buy a better keyboard/mouse to fit your needs
You can buy more RAM
You can buy a better graphics card
You can buy a bigger monitor
You can do sooo much more w/ a PC than you can w/ any console, which allows for easier development (developers can work on making individual parts better, rather than making the entire package better, as they do w/ consoles)
This also allows for faster progression, for the same reason.

Fries said:
You can buy a better keyboard/mouse to fit your needs
You can buy more RAM
You can buy a better graphics card
You can buy a bigger monitor

The only thing on that list you can essentially do is buy a bigger TV.

Consoles = Owned.

Yep, it's true that PC is way better than consoles. But I still play PS3 almost everyday, because I'm not really that kind of guy who is seeking all the new features and such. I just want to play, and that's it!

The problem with the PC is that you have so many parts. As a developer it is easier, I think, to develop for a console because it consist of only those parts.
You can exploit those components etc, while with a PC you would have to make it compatible with every GPU, make it run well etc....

Fries said:
^True, but the consequence of all those parts is it's a better machine overall.
That's true, but for most people buying a console is a cheaper solution. Most consoles cost around 300-400 dollars @ launch. With this you can go about 4-5 years with the best graphics with games, while this is a totally different story for PC gaming from my knowlage.

That's the reason why consoles sell, but not the point of the article.
The article is just saying how the PC is sooo far ahead of consoles.
But also:
If you buy a $1,000 - $1,500 PC you could easily play new games for abt a decade or so.

Back
Top Bottom