OpenTTD - Transport Tycoon

Andre

OpenTTD (OpenTTD.org)

Remember playing Transport Tycoon on Windows 98 long time ago? Remember it didn't just want to work on XP when you wanted to play it after you had upgraded operating systems? I sure do. Back then I was quite young and didn't get the whole economical point of the game and I quickly forgot about it after I couldn't get it working anymore. But some smart and awesome fellas at TT-Forums continued development of Transport Tycoon as OpenTTD which is an open-sourced game which gives you the best transport tycoon experience ever.

Development has been fast and very thorough. Version 1.0.0 of the game was launched on 1st of April 2010, that's 6 years after the team released the first OpenTTD ever!
6 years. What were you doing 6 years ago?

In March 2004 OpenTTD 0.1 was released. Hardly a month later in April 2004 OpenTTD 0.2. And today, six years later... OpenTTD 1.0.0. It was a lot of work, hundreds of thousands of translations, tens of thousands of commits, thousands of graphics, hundreds of patches, dozen of sounds and musics, and one goal. How many people contributed? Dozen of artists, translators and developers, hundreds of testers and bug reporters, and also the thousands of players. Looking at the readmes and credit sections only gives a small hint. Some of those who were main contributors left long ago, and there are only a few who know them all and talked to them once via IRC or the forums. But if you consider all contributors, including those of the used libraries, and the external artists of OpenSFX... Well, then most likely not every contributor actually knows OpenTTD :)

So in the end, what was most fun in the past 6 years of OpenTTD? Playing? Contributing? Modding? Talking? Or just taking part in a large crowed moving in one direction? One direction? Well, at least in bigger scope :) But in more detail there were quite some parties involved in the process. Sometimes pulling in the same direction, sometimes maybe pulling in slightly different ones. Let's just mention some of the projects around OpenTTD which influenced it in this or that direction: The various integrated builds and patchpacks, first of all the MiniIN. Then the first Town Growth Challenge, TTDPatch, #openttdcoop, Goal Servers and the big patches (Subsidiaries, YAPF, YAPP, CargoDist, 32bpp & ExtraZoom). And not everything which made it into main trunk was happy sunshine, just to mention the first approach to Path Based Signalling, or the attempts around the AI.

But when looking back, most turned out fun. Thank you!

The game is just fucking epic. It takes some dedication and learning time of a few hours definitely. Yet there are aspects that even I discover after many hours of gameplay. I initially tried this while on vacation on a boring day. The boring day turned quite exciting if it can due to a computer game anyways.

There's just so fucking much to do. I really can't describe, but I can summarize it up - the best tycoon ever made. Transportation includes road vehicles, trains, airplanes, helicopters and ships. They are used to transport cargo (passengers, coal, iron ore, steel, livestock, goods, grass, etc) on routes. Perfect company management and stuff makes it hard enough and if you're successful it will turn out real good. The game processes from 1950 to 2050 but there are mod sets to extend it even more. Among time, new railway types, locomotives and vehicles become available. This ensures development of your networks.

Multiplayer
The multiplayer is seriously the most amazing thing about this game. There are many servers with many different options and stuff to do. Again it is quite hard to summarize in a sentence how the communication and gaming works online between companies, but you will understand on your first few tries. For example here's how my company is doing online:
2wnoads.png

I started the company in 1954 and with 45 years it has managed to become the best operating. Of course I didn't spend all the ~12 hours it has taken to process on the computer, but I initially started up the network then checked in another 6 hours, had to upgrade my network and trains and my income kept raising. But the game is just amazing. Come try it out!

Re: OpenTTD 1.0.0

Looks quite fun, but I'd fail so hard at it.

Andre said:
Version 1.0.0 of the game was launched on 1st of April 2010

[quote author=OpenTTD Team]
Hey guys we're releasing vers 1.0.0 everyone go downlo- APRIL FOOLZ SUCKA!! We aren't even close to being done :([/quote]

Bet that would have pissed some people off lozl

Here's something I started in 2030 and now it is 2050. Earned a $1.3 billions since.

rc4me8.png

346pdur.png

The railroad network is real nice, I've been working on my skills of railway signals and track settings.

It is a cool game. Latest released version is 1.0.1.

And on the pics, i forgot to mention - buildings are made transparent! :angel:

GPow69 said:
Confusing camera perspective :s
Why do you think that?

Very nice skills, Andre. Could you give me a tip. Its ~1980 in my game and I have 13.000.000€ (probably a bad performance), but I don't manage to increase my profit. Its always around 1.000.000 € per year although Iam creating new railway connections and so. Could it be because my skills of railway signals and track settings suck? Is it THAT important?

And are the servers newbie-friendly or do I have to work on my skills before?

The server I played (something with "[DK] Easy" in its name) was easy as the name suggests. That's why I had a few million profits every year. But other servers such as citybuilder or certain objective ones can get harder because there are custom NewGRFs that modify the acting or performance of industries and other players is also an interfering factor since when there's a chance for a good line, someone has already taken it. And as you could see from the first screenshots in the topic it is quite hard to get a good profit in multiplayer for the previously mentioned reasons, even after 45 years the profit was quite small. For a comparison with my alone playing (no AI script either), I usually earn a million on the second year (previously having taken a €500000 loan to get a good kickstart).

GPow, that's how transport tycoon has always been and to implement other sorts of views or 3D, the whole game has to be rewritten thoroughly I'm afraid.
Remis said:
Very nice skills, Andre. Could you give me a tip. Its ~1980 in my game and I have 13.000.000€ (probably a bad performance), but I don't manage to increase my profit. Its always around 1.000.000 € per year although Iam creating new railway connections and so. Could it be because my skills of railway signals and track settings suck? Is it THAT important?
The signals and track forms will only affect your connections if you have more than one train on one line. Actually it is good for a factory to have one train at the station all the time, so the satisfaction ratings grow for the industry and for the town that the industry is attached to as well. This means that the industry will produce more of whatever they're designed to produce. But currently I have close to 30 trains operating one line (coal, runs through the upper part of a 512x512 map and is quite long and services around 7 stations) and there was much of jams at one time, but then I expanded it somehow. Anyways, from my own experience, I can show you 2 track settings (from which one is very bad in performance since only one train can enter a signal block at once, the second however has path signals so more than one train can be in the signal block. The block which I'm talking about is the entry to the big station (on the left))

Inefficient: http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4832/ratburgtransport21stnov.png
Efficient: http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4832/ratburgtransport21stnov.png
And after switching to the second method, I get no more clogging in that station (is situated in 1990s and has slow trains which I hate).

Also your profit from a transported material/good depends on two things afaik:
1. the speed of the transport (always the best to use the fastest train available: maglev comes in at 2020). the slower the transport, the less you get paid for it. how to see the cargo payment rates
2. the distance of the industry from the factory. This means that if the industry is far from the factory, you definitely get paid more than when it would be near the factory. How much you are paid is even increased by the speed. Check out the line in the upper part of the map in this screenie. The furthermost brings in €325k in one run.

You should post a pic of your stuff. Perhaps I can help a little?

GPow69 said:
Confusing camera perspective :s

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 has the basically similar camera angles.. I loved that game!

This one's a bit more confusing.. So I tried to play this game again after some basic research and reading your posts, and I have a stupid question...

Why can't I build RailRoads or Airports?
296omjn.png

Remis said:
Sorry for that.

Inefficient: http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4832/ratburgtransport21stnov.png
Efficient: http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7842/ratburgtransport12thaug.png

Here you go, the fixed version!

Also Remis, that is entirely not bad railroad network. But it only allows one train per one factory-to-industry line. It looks nice though. And keep in mind earning good profit in the years 1950-2000 can be quite hard due to slow trains and road vehicles.
[TMS]Aman1238 said:
Why can't I build RailRoads or Airports?
296omjn.png
I've no idea what might be wrong, but re-download OpenTTD 1.0.1 entirely, see perhaps that will fix it. Or if that game is taken on a multiplayer game then the server has disabled railways and airports (the first time I would see railways disabled).

Avalkiz said:
Looks like Rollercoaster Tycoon :biggrin:
I will try it
Guess what, it has trains and more trains can be get from NewGRFs. It shall suit your needs.

Well I forgot to mention, that I wasn't playing online. I simply clicked "New Game" selected a new map or whatever, and started the game. The trains were disabled there. But when I go online, the trains work on all servers..

I thought I'd update this topic a little. OpenTTD 1.0.2 has been released and is available on their site. And I have taken my time on a custom created (in scenario editor) scenario and played it from 2020 to 2070 in a few weeks.

Some trains and shit here...
wvmGI.png

And the whole map seen here...
XbZ5a.png

It is quite cool actually.

Back
Top Bottom