Neil Young: "Piracy is the new radio. That's how music gets around...

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Neil Young apparently isn't too concerned about copyright infringement these days, according to his comments at the D: Dive into Media conference:

It doesn't affect me because I look at the internet as the new radio. I look at the radio as gone. [...] Piracy is the new radio. That's how music gets around. [...] That's the radio. If you really want to hear it, let's make it available, let them hear it, let them hear the 95 percent of it.

Of course, that's a bit of a reverse from back when he was angry that YouTube wasn't paying him money when people uploaded his songs. Still, it's good to see him come around to the view that infringement is, basically, a new form of radio. Artists like Chuck D have been making that argument for over a decade.

Young is still concerned... but about the fact that the quality of MP3 files sucks. He'd prefer technologies that provide a much fuller sound.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120201/13311617627/neil-young-piracy-is-new-radio-quality-sucks.shtml

Has he never heard a 320? It sounds pretty good. Would notice 'bad quality' even less on rock music because it's just a bunch of noise. :biggrin:
Good job accepting the fact though. More artists need to think like this.

GPow69 said:
Has he never heard a 320? It sounds pretty good. Would notice 'bad quality' even less on rock music because it's just a bunch of noise. :biggrin:
Good job accepting the fact though. More artists need to think like this.

Quite frankly the majority never will think like this, they're puppets, they are being told this: If your music is pirated - you won't get money.

Back
Top Bottom