Mass Effect 3 confirmed to run on Unreal Engine 3

Maffia171

I shiggy diggy
"BioWare chose UE3 for the Mass Effect because they wanted to make an immersive shooter," says Rein

The next installment of the Mass Effect trilogy will be powered by Unreal Engine 3, Epic vice-president Mark Rein has said.

The popular Unreal Engine 3 has built up a sizable base of licensing support since its 2006 release. The engine stands apart from its predessesors by way of numerous capability advances, including renderer support covering several complex techniques like HDRR, per-pixel lighting and dynamic shadows.

After using it for the first two Mass Effect titles, UE3's impressive tech has convinced Canadian studio BioWare to use it as a base for the upcoming Mass Effect 3.

"BioWare chose UE3 for the Mass Effect trilogy because they wanted to make an immersive third-person perspective shooter game with sci-fi environments," Epic VP Mark Rein told Develop, in a feature outlining the use of the Unreal Engine in Mass Effect 2.

I'm not familiar with any of these games, but I looked them both up, and the result will be very promising from what I'm seeing.

:3

Back
Top Bottom