Discuss the last movie you watched

MV5BNDg2NjIxMDUyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzEzNTE1NTM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,629,1000_AL_.jpg

Movie + Year: Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727824/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
IMDB score: 8.3/10
IMDB description: A chronicle of the years leading up to Queen's legendary appearance at the Live Aid (1985) concert.

My opinion: I made the big mistake of factchecking after I watched this movie. There are some things the movie just gets wrong, but it makes sense to do them wrong. Otherwise the movie'd have no real plot. The real plot is, in a sense, the descend of Freddy Murcury into madness, as his fame kinda runs away from him.
Now, don't get me wrong, this is not a reason this movie is bad. In fact, I very much enjoyed watching it.
The acting is superb. Rami Malek does an amazing job, and the casting from Brian May is fucking spot on. He looks just like the real May.
The soundtrack is awesome (no shit). All the famous Queen songs get some screentime, including an amazing redition of We Will Rock You.
The cinematography is incredible. It has some seriously amazing shots. The opening sequence on its own is great.
All in all, it's an incredible movie to watch, and I urge you to go watch it too.

Just don't think the plot is 100% accurate.

My rating: 9/10

You convinced me to give this movie a try. I'll wait for it to drop digitally though.

You convinced me to give this movie a try. I'll wait for it to drop digitally though.
Which will be soon, I suppose. It's already out of theater at some places.

a2oPuKj.jpg

Movie + Year: Captain Marvel (2019)
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154664/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
IMDB score: 6.9/10
IMDB description: Carol Danvers becomes one of the universe's most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races.

My opinion: I get why people are giving it crappy reviews. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, or crazy unexpected. It was a pretty standard superhero movie, with a protagonist, and antagonist, and some basic, albeit see-thru, conspiracies. I wouldn't say it was bland, because it did push some boundaries, but unless you're really into Captain Marvel or the MCU (like me), I wouldn't go see it in cinema.

However.
There were some things that I thought were neat. The fact that there was no love interest was a nice change of pace. It kept the plot tidier, no unneccesary detours. There was an old friend, but she was important to the general plot of the movie as well.
The final showdown with the BBEG was delightfully short.
He calls her out, says she will only truly win if she beats him in unarmed hand-to-hand combat, and she responds by blasting him into a massive rock.
The fact that it's the first female focused MCU movie isn't rubbed in at every moment as well. There was one scene where she gets flashbacks of everytime she gets called out on being a girl trying to play baseball/gokart/get through basic training, but it ties into a whole moment of 'getting back up', after being called "only human".
Samuel L Jackson going from badass motherfucker to squeeling with joy at a cute kitty was pretty hilarious though.

So yeah, not the best (Marvel) movie I've seen, but I still enjoyed watching it, and wouldn't mind seeing it again when it comes out on BluRay.

My rating: 7.5/10

IUNkkob.jpg

Movie + Year: The Highwaymen (2019)
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1860242/
IMDB score: 7/10
IMDB description: A pair of Texas Rangers come out of retirement to catch the infamous outlaws Bonnie and Clyde.

My opinion: I stumbled upon this movie by accident and it had a lot of promising stuff: Bonnie & Clyde, Woody Harrelson, Kevin Costner. Sounds like a winning formula right? Wrong. The story is just so damn dull. Sadly you "can tell" this was made by Netflix and not a giant film studio. (that came out wrong) I wanted this to be good, I really did. It's about Bonnie & Clyde, the notorious gangster couple! Yet somehow, they made this a boring movie. I left with a feeling that I had just wasted two hours. It doesn't help that the dialogue is really cheesy as well. It had a few good scenes, but that's it. I would definitely not recommend you to watch this movie.

My rating: 5/10

MV5BMTc5MDE2ODcwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzI2NzQ2NzM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Movie + Year: Avengers: Endgame (2019)
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154796/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1
IMDB score: 8.9/10
IMDB description: After the devastating events of Avengers: Infinity War (2018), the universe is in ruins. With the help of remaining allies, the Avengers assemble once more in order to undo Thanos' actions and restore order to the universe.

My opinion: The big one. The culmination of 10 years of superhero movies. I somehow managed to avoid spoilers for an entire week before I had a chance to watch it (mostly by threatening people to spoil Game of Thrones).

And I enjoyed almost every minute of it.
There were some small gripes I had that kinda ticked me off, but in the end, I left the cinema with a massive smile on my face (and a full bladder, because there was no break).
Small things that pissed me off are really small, like the two car commercials they slammed in. They show people driving around in brand new concept Audi's, and it's made very clear that it's Audi. The logo is hugely in picture, they even pull the typical headlight-shines-in-camera trick that you see in TV commercials. It's annoying, but doesn't really impact the rest of the movie.
The other this is... not really a gripe, I was annoyed at first, but it can be interpreted as a nice easter egg as well.
During the final battle, there is a scene where all the female superheroes gang up, and strike a dramatic pose, getting ready to fight through hordes of enemies. At first, it felt a bit forced (look, we're diversive too!), but it can also be explained as an easter egg to Marvel's A-Force, which is an all female comic run.
Also, the Thor playing Fortnite scene was kinda cringey

Other than that, if you like the Marvel movies, Endgame is defenitively worth it. The final battle was nothing short of epic.

wTcN2iN.jpg

The Irishman (2019):
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302006/
IMDB score: 8,3
IMDB description: A mob hitman recalls his possible involvement with the slaying of Jimmy Hoffa.

My opinion: This movie had fantastic acting and great quotes.
“You always charge a guy with a gun - with a knife, you run away. So you charge with a gun - with a knife, you run” - Al Pacino
Pesci, Pacino, and De Niro all gave fantastic performances (in that order).
However I was expecting the movie to be less dragging, some conversations are pretty pointless and last way too long. In total I'd say the movie is around one hour too long.
What this movie managed to do though was show the negative side of being a gangster/mafia member. While a movie like Goodfellas focussed on the positive aspects. The last 30 minutes really got to you.
But there's one more ridiculous thing about this movie.. The de-aging. No way Al Pacino passed for someone sub-30. More like sub-50. However one might be able to look past that. But you cannot ignore the awkwardness in for example the scene where De Niro beats up the grocery store guy. That looked like an 80 year old fighting, they should have used a body double for that scene.
I was hoping for a 9/10, but sadly in my opinion I can only give a 7/10.

My rating: 7/10

myP0lkW.jpg

Movie + Year: The Last Seduction (1994)
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110308/
IMDB description: A devious sexpot steals her husband's drug money and hides out in a small town where she meets the perfect dupe for her next scheme.

My opinion: Fiorentino is perfect for this role, I love her charisma and she's insanely good looking. (subjectively)
It's your typical femme fatale movie, and I do enjoy one from time to time. Soundtrack is jazzy and a bit cheesy though I do like it.
Would I ever watch this movie again? No, the acting was pretty good but the plot isn't that complex to be honest. I however did not regret watching it.

My rating: 6/10

HmjWvvW.jpeg

Movie + Year: Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (2018)
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6288124/
IMDB description: On the rocky path to sobriety after a life-changing accident, John Callahan discovers the healing power of art, willing his injured hands into drawing hilarious, often controversial cartoons, which bring him a new lease on life.

My opinion: Noticed Joaquin Phoenix and Jonah Hill were in this movie and avoided any spoiler/trailer at all costs. Therefore I had no idea what to expect. I want to start off by saying that Phoenix' acting is phenomenal, and Hill nails his role as well. Was also really surprised to see Jack Black in this.
Be aware however that this movie is pretty much about alcoholism and trying to quit booze. I have to be honest, that wasn't what I was expecting at all and it threw me off a little bit, still a good movie however. Re-watchability is pretty low to non-existant however for me.

My rating: 7/10

Last edited:
^ I think you put the wrong title/year? :biggrin:

Raya_and_the_Last_Dragon.png

Movie + Year: Raya And The Last Dragon (2021)
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5109280/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
IMDB score: 7.5/10
IMDB description: In a realm known as Kumandra, a re-imagined Earth inhabited by an ancient civilization, a warrior named Raya is determined to find the last dragon.

My opinion:
This movie had 8 friggin writers, and you can tell. It goes all over the place. It feels as if they all wrote their piece of the story: intro, finale, flashback, the acquiring of each stone,... But then they realized the movie was 5 hours long, and they started cutting.
To be fair, it's not as if the plot is incoherent, or filled with gaps. It's just that... things happen, and they happen really fucking fast. For example,
they head up to the Spine, and find the village empty, save for one guy. Next up, the village is under siege, and they escape. The lone survivor joins the gang, and off they go to the next area.

What I will give this movie, though, is that it looks phenomenal. The animation, the design, everything looks awesome. Of course, you can expect this stuff from a massive studio like Disney, but still.

All in all, I don't regret watching this movie. But I don't regret not paying for it, either.

My rating: 6.5/10

Last edited:
fEbNyxF.jpg

Movie + Year: Nimona (2023)
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19500164/
IMDB score: 7.6/10
IMDB description: When a knight in a futuristic medieval world is framed for a crime he didn't commit, the only one who can help him prove his innocence is Nimona -- a mischievous teen who happens to be a shapeshifting creature he's sworn to destroy.

My opinion: Go watch this movie. No, really.

Why? Well, first off, it's good. It's one of the best animated movies I've seen in the last decade. The story is good, if some beats are fairly predictable. But while the overall plot is decent, the real wonder is in the characters. The dialogue is great. The quips are funny. The VA is spot-on. It's just really, really... fun to watch. The overal design and animation of the characters was deliberately made to look like a 2D movie, and it's tons better than the 3D stuff Disney and Pixar push out.
Speaking of Disney - that's the second reason. This movie was made by a smaller studio, which was bought out by Disney, and then killed, along with this movie. Why? Well, some might suggest that the very openly gay subplots were the reason, but in truth? It was probably money. The movie was slated to release around the same time as Elemental, so Disney put all its eggs in that basket. But, clearly, Nimona survived. It was finished by a different company, with a different studio, but the creators were the same. They poured a lot of love into their work, and it shows - by the time it released (on Netflix), it blew Elemental out of the water.

So yeah, go watch it. If only to stick it to Disney. But mostly because it's just a great animated movie.

Back
Top Bottom