Dexter fan claims death an accident

Austin

I was trying to find articles for an Environmental Science course and I came cross this (near where I live). I think the name of the article was blown out of proportion though:

EDMONTON - An Edmonton filmmaker accused of killing a stranger using methods lifted from one of his own grisly movie plots admitted Wednesday he stabbed Johnny Altinger, but insists it happened in the midst of an armed struggle.

Mark Twitchell testified for the first time Wednesday at his first-degree murder trial. He said he lured Altinger to an Edmonton garage on the pretext of a date with a woman as part of an elaborately staged publicity stunt intended to create buzz for his new horror movie project.

But Altinger became enraged when told the woman didn't exist, Twitchell testified.

"He became what I perceived to be indignant. His manner projected angry and when he began speaking it just enforced that," Twitchell said.

Twitchell said the two men fought for possession of a length of pipe, exchanging blows. Twitchell said he opened the sheath of a knife in the hopes of scaring Altinger off, and then Altinger advanced on him.

"It was just the sickest feeling ever," Twitchell said. "I just started to feel this wet sensation around the hand still holding the handle and I let go, instinctively. And then I saw it sticking out of him.

"It's one of those things when I'm just stuck there and can't decide what to do. I'm just frozen by inaction.''

Twitchell testified that he didn't do anything to help Altinger.

Prosecutors claim the 31-year-old Twitchell lured Altinger, 38, to the garage Oct. 10, 2008, and killed him by striking him with a copper pipe and then stabbing him.

The Crown alleged he then dismembered the oil-industry worker, dumping his partial remains down an Edmonton sewer.

The trial had previously heard excerpts of what prosecutors say is a diary Twitchell kept of his transformation into a would-be serial killer.

It has also heard that Twitchell was a fan of the TV show Dexter, which portrays a serial killer who tracks down and murders criminals.

Two weeks before Altinger was killed, Twitchell and a small crew made a short horror movie called House of Cards, based on the idea of a masked killer who goes online to lure married men who are looking for affairs to their deaths.

"We realized the concept could go farther, so I planned for sequels, other versions," Twitchell told court Wednesday.

Twitchell said he wanted to embark on a new film, book and online entertainment project that would leave his audience questioning whether the events described were fact or fiction. As part of his project, Twitchell said he went online and created a fake profile on the dating website plentyoffish.com. He ended up connecting with an Edmonton man named Gilles Tetreault.

Tetreault has already testified at the trial. He has told court he was attacked by a masked man who wielded a stun baton when he went to meet someone he thought was a woman for a date. The attack occurred at the same garage in suburban Mill Woods where House of Cards was filmed.

Twitchell called his online activities on the dating website, "the first stage in starting the recruitment process." He said once Tetreault arrived at the garage, he would explain the hoax, and "try to get him on board" for the entertainment project.

Before Tetreault was due to arrive, Twitchell said he decided to change the scenario.

"I'll actually pretend to scare this guy to actually convince him he's being attacked. This decision, I made about 10 or 15 minutes before he got there."

Twitchell said he thought this could build online buzz for his project. He said he knew the stun baton wasn't dangerous.

Twitchell's intent and state of mind at the time of the killing will be key to determining whether he his guilty of a crime, Davison said. Twitchell tried to plead guilty to indecent interference with human remains on the first day of his trial, but Crown prosecutors refused to accept the plea.

- The Daily Gleaner

So he has an idea for a movie/webseries/tv show, decides to fake an ad online to help in creating buzz via publicity stunt, guy learns it was all bullshit, understandably pissed, guy im assuming tries to leave, asshole blocks his way saying to stay and help him or sign release form, he doesnt want to, tries to leave forcibley, fight breaks out, creator has a knife with him instead of a film crew to back him up, stabs someone and ditches the body in pieces in a sewer... This is directly from a Dexter episode where he lured some serial killer into a warehouse district thinking there was a date and killed im, then proceeded to get his chop on and dump the pieces in the Gulf... Yeah good luck proving that was an accident. Fucking retard came prepared for a kill...

Back
Top Bottom