Apple announces AR device due to next year. Apple Vision Pro starts at US$3,499

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Apple announces AR device due to next year. Apple Vision Pro starts at US$3,499

V3kVnKI.jpeg

After a reported seven years of development, Apple’s AR headset is finally here. It’s been a minute since we’ve had a “one more thing” moment. The wisdom, efficacy and ultimate fate of the product have yet to be determined, but one thing we can finally say for certain: Unlike the long-rumored Apple television and car, it’s real and it’s finally here.

“With Vision Pro, you’re no longer limited by a display,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said, introducing the new headset at WWDC 2023. Unlike earlier mixed reality reports, the system is far more focused on augmented reality than virtual. The company refresh to this new paradigm is “spatial computing.”

fdIDL54.jpeg

It’s a way of interacting with the computing UI — something the company is referring to as a kind of input device, akin to a mouse or trackpad. The headset is surprisingly similar to earlier renders — it does, indeed, look like ski googles. Clearly this thing isn’t meant to be worn outside the home or office.

Source and more: https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/05/apple-headset/

Watching a guy take a photo of his kids playing, while wearing ski goggles might be the cringiest thing I’ve ever seen.
Looks like Apple only made this for the 1%.

MKBHD's review:

Credit where credit's due: it looks insanely impressive. Like, holy shit, if things really work as Marques explains it (and work as flawlessly as he explains it), then this is a game changer.
This appears to be a finely polished product, with actual, usable, practical applications. The combination with a bluetooth keyboard seems to answer the whole awkwardness of having to control a VR headset with weird controllers.

However, I think the only reason this isn't hailed as the absolute goldmine that it is, is because it's a) Apple exclusive. Same as other Apple devices, sure, but... b) it's $3500. For that price, I'd better be able to with it whatever I want, and not only what Apple will allow me to do.

But... this seems like a step in the direction of a future I'd be down for. Instead of a screen, you have a headset that broadcasts the screen to your eyes. That seems really, really futuristic - and it's only a year away.

MKBHD's review:

Credit where credit's due: it looks insanely impressive. Like, holy shit, if things really work as Marques explains it (and work as flawlessly as he explains it), then this is a game changer.
This appears to be a finely polished product, with actual, usable, practical applications. The combination with a bluetooth keyboard seems to answer the whole awkwardness of having to control a VR headset with weird controllers.

However, I think the only reason this isn't hailed as the absolute goldmine that it is, is because it's a) Apple exclusive. Same as other Apple devices, sure, but... b) it's $3500. For that price, I'd better be able to with it whatever I want, and not only what Apple will allow me to do.

But... this seems like a step in the direction of a future I'd be down for. Instead of a screen, you have a headset that broadcasts the screen to your eyes. That seems really, really futuristic - and it's only a year away.

Just watched the video, it's really impressive indeed.
And yeah the price point is problematic. Apple exclusive is well.. normal with Apple. They have stuff a whole lot more expensive :tongue:
I guess for now only businesses and the 1% will buy this. Hopefully price will come down, or a cheaper model releases soon after.

Q79rGTR.png

Back
Top Bottom