Anti-consumption

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Never felt more anti-consumption than after seeing this picture of cruise ships being dismantled. Holy shit that's a shitton of waste.

hs6QIqi.jpeg

I wouldn't call it waste, since it's likely that all that material is getting recycled. Why throw something away, when you can get a few millions for the raw materials?

I wouldn't call it waste, since it's likely that all that material is getting recycled. Why throw something away, when you can get a few millions for the raw materials?
You're right, at least it's being (partly) recycled. But why do these massive things need to exist in the first place?
I mean:
A mid-sized cruise ship can use as much as 150 tonnes of fuel each day, which emits as much particulate as one million cars.

Now that is a fair point :biggrin: While the large ships are incredibly polluting, I can excuse it in case of large containerships. They still use less fuel per container than, say, an airplane or a truck. But for cruise ships?

Huge, cancerous tumors on the ocean, those things.

Now that is a fair point :biggrin: While the large ships are incredibly polluting, I can excuse it in case of large containerships. They still use less fuel per container than, say, an airplane or a truck. But for cruise ships?

Huge, cancerous tumors on the ocean, those things.
Wanna do something real about emissions? Let's force every European to drive electric when there's no capacity?
Ban these things first NOW.

Wanna do something real about emissions? Let's force every European to drive electric when there's no capacity?
Ban these things first NOW.
Yes but that'll hurt big companies and then they won't "sponsor" us with large donations to our "reelection campaigns" anymore

Back
Top Bottom