Ratings and links

IMDB 8/10
Rotten Tomatoes 88/100

Information and details

Genre: Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Runtime: 2h9m

Director: Terry Gilliam
Notable cast members: Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt

Plot summary: In a future world devastated by disease, a convict is sent back in time to gather information about the man-made virus that wiped out most of the human population on the planet.

Trailer

Warning! Proceed with caution. You WILL read spoilers below.

Only proceed if you've seen the movie.

My review

Feels like I'm starting every review the same way but; this one had been on my watchlist since forever. Yesterday I finally found the time to give the movie a try.
I began watching without any knowledge about the movie, had no clue who was starring or what the genre was.

As the movie opens it's almost immediately clear the main character James Cole (Bruce Willis) is in a prison in a post-apocalyptic world. Immediately I realize this is NOT my genre, but I decide to keep watching because of the fame about this movie. The goal of Cole is to travel back in time and prevent 5 billion people from dying from a virus.

The good: the acting is good, Brad Pitt in particular really nails the lunatic role (Jeffrey Goines). He was a fantastic red herring. I also enjoyed the music.

The bad: I didn't like the story a whole lot, which is no surprise since I'm the opposite of a fan of the sci-fi genre. Naturally the post-apocalyptic settings in particular were another thing I didn't like. I also didn't like the weird 45 degree camera angles.

What I did like was the "completion" of the story; Cole actually succeeds in his mission of saving the earth from the plague. Why do we know this? Well, when the virus guy gets on the plane at the end, he sits next to the lead post-apocalyptic scientist. Which means Cole succesfully identified the source of the virus, and she came back to get a sample. He also witnesses the death of his future self as him being a kid.

Not my genre, will probably never watch this movie again, but I still rate it a 6.

6/10

IdNvpUJ.jpeg

XUmBZWi.jpeg

G1zlwM1.jpeg

tdrH5eh.jpeg

sgZnOXZ.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom