https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068699/

Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer (Critic Reviews): 94/100
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/high_plains_drifter

Information and details

Genre: Drama, Western, Mystery
Runtime: 1h45m

Director: Clint Eastwood
Notable cast members: Clint Eastwood, Verna Bloom

Plot summary: A gun-fighting stranger comes to the small settlement of Lago and is hired to bring the townsfolk together in an attempt to hold off three outlaws who are on their way.

Trailer

Warning! Proceed with caution. You WILL read spoilers below.

Only proceed if you've seen the movie.

My review

Since I've always been a huge fan of "The Man With No Name" trilogy, this one has been on my watchlist since forever. (like most movies I post about)

The movie is far more "raw" than I expected. It's cruel all the way through. The rape scene in the start doesn't help, and would have never gotten written like that today.

On to the story:

Basically there are to main villains: the townspeople (with the exception of the midget) and the three bad guys who got released from prison. Clint was pretty much whipped to death by the three bad guys (villain #1), the townspeople stood by and did.. nothing (villain #2). When he returned he got sweet revenge on both.

I love that he barely trained the townspeople, had them paint everything red, change the town name to hell, put out the freakin' pick-nick, to then disappear once the bad guys arrive, let them murder out the town, only to return when they were practically the only ones left to kill.

Cinematography was not that memorable or impressive to be honest. I did however absolutely love the end shot. (included at the bottom)

Although this movie isn't really a comedy, there are some humoristic Eastwood replies.

"I've got boarders in there! Where are they supposed to go?!?"
"Out."

The only problem you've got Sheriff is a short supply of guts.

Conclusion

The movie is sadly a tad too dark for my taste. I prefer the more cheesy western genre. I do get why it gets a ton of praise, but it's just not for me. Probably won't rewatch this one, but glad I did get around to seeing it.

6/10

agQTnQG.jpeg

LeYuDk0.jpeg

3wirra9.jpeg

mWfpkWb.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom