Vinyl set to outsell CDs for first time since 1986

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Vinyl set to outsell CDs for first time since 1986

BiTqzNH.jpg

Vinyl is set to outsell CDs for the first time since 1986, a new report reveals.

The revelation comes in a mid-year report from the Recording Industry Association of America.

Last year’s RIAA report revealed that CD sales are dying three times as fast as vinyl sales are growing, and it’s more of the same in this year’s.

The new report states that vinyl records earned $224.1 million (from 8.6 million units) in the first half of 2019. This figure is impressively close to the CD numbers ($247.9 million, 18.6 million units).

With vinyl revenue growing by 12% in the second half of 2018 and first half of this year, and CD rates barely changing at all, it could see vinyl revenue overtake that of CDs by the end of the year.

Source and more: https://www.nme.com/news/music/vinyl-set-outsell-cds-first-time-since-1986-2545781

I love this. Vinyl has character. I would buy a vinyl player if I didn't live in a small apartment.

Makes sense. CD is really making place for streaming and digital files, but Vinyl is growing a bit, mostly due to audiophiles.

Back
Top Bottom