True Detective [2014-2019]

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
True Detective

ZdXx0cs.jpg

About True Detective

True Detective is an American anthology crime drama television series created and written by Nic Pizzolatto. The series, broadcast by the premium cable network HBO in the United States, premiered on January 12, 2014. Each season of the series is structured as a disparate, self-contained narrative, employing new cast ensembles and following various sets of characters and settings.

This topic will mainly be used to discuss Season 3, which is still ongoing, as Season 1 and 2 have been released for a while now.

Last edited:
Just finished watching S03E01 and I'm already hooked like an addict.
The eeriness is on point, music and cinematography wise.
I know the lead actor Mahershala Ali only from House of Cards, but boy does he nail this role.

The three different timelines/ages certainly is interesting.

I'm 4 episodes behind currently so looks like I've got some catching up to do in the following days!

MeuClgc.png

Thought this scene looked cool.

Watched the second episode last night (S03E02, "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye") It has exactly the same flow, energy as the first one, though it's a bit more focused on character development.

I'm honestly baffled at how good Ali's makeup looks as a grandfather..

I'm really intrigued by the dolls. They're creepy as fuck and remind me a lot of the wooden things from Season 1. No way they don't have any special meaning this time.

Oh man, S03E03 was another really solid episode.
I also just realized how freakin' good the music is this season so far.

Now for the spoilers..

There are a bunch of crazy theories I like:
  • Amelia and her boyfriend for Hayes murdered the boy, the reason she's with Hayes right now is because she could stay close to the investigation. (not that likely)
  • Hayes made a terrible mistake somewhere down the line of the investigation, he and Amelia covered it up by making the book have wrong information.
  • The Hoyt food CEO kidnapped the girl because they lost their own granddaughter. (and Julie's mother worked at that company, so they knew how much she sucked as a mother)

Watched S03E04 yesterday, there are some really racist lines, damn.

“Nothing else about his face but his eye? Was he handsome? Ugly?”
“Well, like I said...he was black.”

As always some other great quotes:

Roland West to the kid in jail:
Happy 18th birthday! Some of the guys pitched in and got you life imprisonment

Hayes to the kid in jail:
They are going to turn your asshole into an entrance.
I know brothers on the inside that will fuck your guts up all stupid.

Asked by a black man to Hayes (black police officer):
"How you gonna wear that badge?"
"There's a little clip on it."

Dynamic between Hayes and Roland is getting better every episode.

99% sure that Hayes's son is having an affair with the interview lady. (mentioning her by her first name, the two glasses on the nightstand,...

Surprised Hayes and Roland don't pay attention to the fact that the black one-eyed man mention that he works the "chicken line". (like Julie's mother)

Loved that trashman got his revenge, too bad the credits rolled just before the explosion happens...
Wondering if this is why Roland has a limp now.

Amelia is showing her true colors more and more (manipulating away)

Finished S03E05 Tuesday evening, forgot to post about it in this thread.
This episode sure knows how to hit all the feels.

For the feels part I'm of course talking about the last scene. Felt good seeing Roland forgive Hayes (even though he doesn't have a clue about what he has done wrong).
Feel sad for old Roland since he ended up all alone, fortunately he has a gazillion dogs to keep him company.
Also surprised at how well "grandpa" Roland looks. The make-up artists deserve massive kudos.

I have sadly found my first (but hopeful last) issue: Hayes and Amelia's argue gets too much screentime.. way too much. (that dinner scene was too awkward)

Case wise I'm glad they discovered that the native American guy was set-up. Backpack looked way too clean indeed.

Saw S03E06 earlier this weekend.

Another great episode, a lot happened in this one.

Seeing Tom get falsely accused in the interview room, and then later in the episode breaking into the Hoyt mansion made me feel pretty bad for him. First his kids go missing, then he hears his daughter is alive, then she tells him he's pretending to be his father and that she wants nothing to do with him, and then he's probably going to get killed while looking for her.. That's a lot for one man to take.

Sometimes I wonder if Hayes is faking his dementia because Roland is somehow involved, I wouldn't like that outcome one bit though.

Also something's up with that landscaper, the shot of him arriving in this truck took way too long to be nothing major.

New episode tonight! I guess 90% of the mystery will be revealed then.

Finished watching the final episode of Season 3 (S03E08) yesterday, what a rollercoaster!
I'm not going to spoil anything but I think this seasons was way better than S2, but a little less epic than S3.
I would definitely recommend watching this season!

Back
Top Bottom