Sony patents design for games that cant be resold!

RockStar248

Hey guys, I got steam :P
So recently browsing the YouTube page and I see a video from IGN, and they discuss the new patented designs that Sony has
released for a disc design that binds your own username to that disc so it cannot be resold, which I feel to some extent is ok
because when a game is resold, the producers get no money for that, but it means that we all have to buy new games all the
time, but that's also good because we then know it will work when we try to play it.

3vV_ht_10jo[/media]]

Not exactly...
Playstation already has a system to sell only new games set up, it's called PSN.
Chances are this patent will be used more heavily on blurays since the used bluray market is huge and there's no system in place to stop people from buying used movies.
In the patent, games specifically aren't mentioned anywhere, which leads me to assume that this isn't just for games, even though it appears to be :tongue:

I never buy used games anymore, in the PS2 days I bought too many broken/scratched discs :/
So I would say this doesn't matter much to me.

BUT. With this I wouldn't be able to bring a PS3 game to a friend and play it there? Fuck that.

To be fair, it makes sense in the eyes of developers since they get absolutely no profit when people do that. Also, if they have a system like steam set up, you could technically take a game to a friends house, sign into your acc and play the game. I hope that's what they'll end up doing.

Fries said:
Not exactly...
Playstation already has a system to sell only new games set up, it's called PSN.
Chances are this patent will be used more heavily on blurays since the used bluray market is huge and there's no system in place to stop people from buying used movies.
In the patent, games specifically aren't mentioned anywhere, which leads me to assume that this isn't just for games, even though it appears to be :tongue:

Yes, but with PSN you can share the games/DLC you have bought with 1 other friend, but I was specifically talking about the discs ::3:

Mave said:
With this I wouldn't be able to bring a PS3 game to a friend and play it there? Fuck that.

Unless you have your own PSN account at your friends house then you can't play your games there. :angry:

All in all, I think that if Sony release this software into their game discs, then they are going to loose sales, or people
are going to make programs that run on PS3 consoles and let you detach your account from the specified disc.

RockStar248 said:
le YouTube page
Please don't .

Also, Fries, Steam is a pretty robust system, and Sony has enough experience and know how, they definitely can create one of its own. (although EA had plenty of experience too) But I recall you can log on to Steam with your PSN account? Wouldn't it make sense for Sony to further incorporate this? Chuck out the PS home software? Just install Steam on every PS3 they make (or PS4, you never know)?

It would seem like a wise decision, no more cracked games, no more reselling games, and instead you give gamers the opportunity to buy games directly from their couch. You can already do so now, but the PSN store isn't exactly as slick as Steam.

I my opinion, this would seem like a great idea towards gamers. Give them one of the most celebrated online store systems, which allows them to buy only new games, and gives them a social network too. However, talking business, it's not that smart. Sony would be dependent on Valve, and that is something you don't want as a CEO.

Rockstar, I was responding to Mave xD

Sty, 2 things:
For one, valve might not want to further incorporate playstation. Also, that would require a ton of work from valve.
And like you said, it's not exactly a very smart idea, especially after sony has spent time building up PSN.

Oh and 2: Seriously? Fuck your personal text.

Patenting =/= implementing.

They might, but they don't have to. They might as wall have patented this to charge other people for using this.

Back
Top Bottom