[Serious] What do you think of copyright?

Austin

Copyright's are what protect the authors and creators and other forms of illustration against stealing they're work. This I agree with, of course! However, I'm referring to the financial topic of copyright.

If you own a company, say a pizza place, even if you have a legal copy of a music CD you aren't allowed to play it "commercially", AKA to your customers. And if you own the legal copy, you legally aren't allow to copy it to your computer or to a portable MP3 device. However, when you buy CDs, DVDs, iPods, MP3s and many other products, some of the money from the purchase actually goes towards movie and music companies? I personally think that is unacceptable.

But then you really have to think about the money that they lose over file sharing. I'm sure all of you have more illegally downloaded movies on your PCs right now then you have ever owned legally. I can understand they're point in trying to stop this, and consider that if it keeps up, these companies wont bother making movies for people like us if they start losing more money then they're making (more people who become computer literate = more downloaders = less buyers. The numbers increase every day). However, the sad point is I don't expect any of you to stop, hell - I sure won't.

Considering these facts, I believe that there can be a middle ground. Of course I think you should be able to transfer music to multiple devices for your own personal use, but I also believe that if you own a legal copy, you should be able to share it (especially for free), between your friends. ThePirateBay and other sites like it have been a blessing is disguise, but consider: What do you think your life would of been like without it?

What's your opinion on commercial copyright?

Re: What do you think of copyright?

It might sound hypocritical, but I support the idea of protecting work from someone.

What I don't agree with is that;
You are not allowed to play your legally bought music in front of a +20 audience, so when you're giving a big party at your home, you're technically breaking the law. That's ridiculous in my opinion.

You should be allowed to play you own legally music at your own parties.

Mave said:
You should be allowed to play you own legally music at your own parties.
I completely agree, i guess morons make these laws.

As Mave said, i can understand being protected from pirates but from fun..? :mellow:

Over the years that I have been surfing around on numerous sites like P2P-net or TorrentFreak, I have seen a loads of news about yet another dude being sued by RIAA and prosecuted for $675000 for downloading 30 tracks. That's just plain wrong, there are millions of people using pirated software, viewing movies obtained through P2P networks or listening to tracks downloaded over P2P or from YouTube.
The source of the problem should be handled first which, I'm afraid, is quite impossible. With numerous torrent indexing (which works like Google) being shut down and organizations such as the previously mentioned RIAA, MPAA, MAFIAA, IFPI suing ISPs and forcing them to block sites such as The Pirate Bay in Norway (ISP Tele2), Norway (ISP Telenor) or Ireland (ISP Eircom) (read about an ongoing case between AFACT, which represents numerous Hollywood studios, and iiNet, which is an Australian ISP). The organizations mentioned above do not control the internet and P2P networking can't be stopped and I'm really glad to see that some ISPs actually fight back (such as iiNet or Telenor) and for example don't rush to give out their costumers' data.

What's the most awkward is that the situation over P2P networking and torrent sites has gained much more attention in the last few years, I suppose that's a hell of a good way for copyright organizations to make money. Yet they can't stop the internet. Loads of people have tried to prosecute owners of site such as The Pirate Bay for an nonexistent law or a law that doesn't include being a torrent indexing site.

I will always keep downloading and pirating as much as possible as long as I can - that's what hundreds of millions have been doing during the last decade and will be doing for a few another ones. A compromise between P2P networking and record industries makes no sense, instead the industries should pull back and see that this is the way world works and this is the internet.
Also popularity of pirate parties or political parties supporting "free internet" (which means your ISP doesn't keep your packets logged or track of the sites you visit, etc. - though in Estonia ISPs are, after 2008, forced to keep data. Still not for prosecuting pirates, rather internet criminals) and in the European parliament 2 Swedish pirate party politics have secured two seats (Christian Engström & Amelia Andersdotter) already after Lisbon Treaty was ratified. For example take Sarkozy who is so much into his plan of making the 3-strikes HADOPI while he's one hell of a pirate himself.

The most successful pirate party is the Swedish Pirate party which received 7.13% of the votes in 2009 EU parliament elections. There are officially registered pirate parties in other 11 countries excluding Sweden and active (but unregistered) pirate parties in 23 other countries (including Canada's PP, which received some light on our TMS news board; and Estonia, hell yeah). That means that there are 34 countries with their own Pirate Party, the communication goes through Pirate Party International. This is how internet blackout is fought nowadays in the world seeing that like 4 of the judges chosen to take care of The Pirate Bay case, their appeal case and their cases with BREIN(who tried to get TPB nailed with fake evidence) have all been associated with an anti-piracy organizations. TPB no longer is in Sweden, they succeeded in that, but it is now in a former military nuclear bunker in Netherlands. Worth a mention that on 17th April, when TPB verdict got leaked and then an hour after confirmed, 9000 new members joined the Swedish pirate party.

I love to speak about piracy, P2P, copyright and all but the post is quite lengthy already and should make my point pretty clear.

// by the way it is so great that TMS has a section like this.

You definitely made your point, Andre, and I couldn't agree more.

I knew that Sarkozy was going to do everything he could to stop piracy, but I didn't know that he's a 'pirate' himself.
That's so hypocrite... Can't stand it.

And about the guy who downloaded 30 songs and got charged for over $500.000, that's insane !
If they charge someone who has been uploading 20 gigabyte every month, only to share, then I would say 'well okay...' but this... This is just ridiculous.

I want to talk about YouTube copyright. Now I KNOW everyone here goes on youtube, and most of us use it for songs. I hate it that you can't listen to you favorite song because WMG or Sony copyrighted it. Well, I think that having songs up on YouTube is a good thing and it shouldn't get stopped. When I listen to songs on YouTube its usually something new from a favorite artist of mine. That makes me want to BUY the album which means they get money. I'm big on downloading pirated things and I download alot of music. But if the albums not too rare I can spare $15 on a album. But if its rare I have no choice but to download it. But I think thats outrageous that that guy got fined $500,000 for downloading 30 songs. I've downloaded 9 games, 12 albums and 3 movies I wonder what I'd get fined.

Back
Top Bottom