PlayStation 3 to win console war in the end

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Even though Sony's PlayStation 3 is far behind both the Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360 in console sales, analysts at Strategy Analytics contend that when all is said and done, Sony will sell more consoles than its competitors.

In a report titled, "Taming the Waves: Games Console Life Cycles and Platform Competition," analysts from Strategic Analytics said the PlayStation 3 will have a much longer shelf life than current market leader the Nintendo Wii.

PS3_Slim.jpg

In fact, the analyst firm claims that the PS3 will be a "commercial platform five years after the Wii has been replaced." Because of that, it believes that lifetime PS3 sales will hit 127 million units, while Nintendo will sell a grand total of 103 million Wii units.

"Nintendo has done a great job with the Wii in bringing console games to new audiences," David Mercer, Principal Analyst at Strategic Analytics said in a statement. "But its sales are now falling, particularly in mature markets, and its installed base will peak in 2011."

Mercer believes that PlayStation 3 ownership will hit its "highest point between 2012 and 2014."

Strategy Analytics derived its figures and predictions based on several scenarios for each platform. A key factor in those scenarios is an increasing consumer desire for more than just gaming built into their consoles. The market-research firm contends that could have the most damaging effect on the Wii.

That said, the firm was quick to point out that its forecasts could be off. It cited the upcoming release of Project Natal and Sony's motion controller as factors that could dramatically affect its predictions.

From a marketwide perspective, Strategy Analytics believes that current-generation-console ownership will hit its peak in 2011. Once that happens, it believes the big three game vendors will need to launch new consoles to "maintain industry growth."

The analysts' predictions seem to reflect what Sony has been saying since the PlayStation 3's launch. The company contends that early sales aren't everything and unlike its competition, the PlayStation 3 is on a "10-year life cycle" that will help it sell more consoles long after the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii are gone.

Source : http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10466112-17.html

It lacks some features of Xbox, and I've heard that it's laggy on MW2. Although that might not be Sony's fault lol

Anyway I think everyone saw this coming anyway, PS3 winning I mean

Why do people care that much about how an other console is?
Why do xbots and playslaves think it is neccesary to try to convince the other to "the dark side"?

I think console wars are utter crap... -__-
There is actually no such thing as a "console war'. People just think it is neccesary to feel that their console is superior for some reason, why? I don't know...
This is just all about the sales, but sales are not everything, you might sell massive amounts of your product, but does that directly mean your product is good? No not really.

PS: You should see what happens on gametrailers.com when a PS3 exclusive gets below a 9.5... Just rediciolus how the PS3 fanboys over react there

Impulse said:
PS: You should see what happens on gametrailers.com when a PS3 exclusive gets below a 9.5... Just rediciolus how the PS3 fanboys over react there
PS3 Exclusives are (mostly) just pure win.
But yeh, agreed. Console wars are crap D:

Maffia171 said:
Impulse said:
PS3 Exclusives are (mostly) just pure win.
True, as well as the xbox exclusives imo :tongue:
But most of the times a PS3 exclusive gets between a 9 and a 9.4 on GT, PS3 fanboys get all angry, say it's biased (thus their opinion is apperently wrong o.O). While they can't seem to see that in a 9 is just a terrific score...

PS3 :smoke:

GPow69 said:
I've heard that it's laggy on MW2. Although that might not be Sony's fault lol

To be honest, MW2 online is not laggy AT ALL. I like the PS3 more than my "ex-xbox".
But I agree, console wars are crap and useless(even tho I used to start some lol)...

I played Halo3... The SinglePlayer was kinda cool... But nothing compared to KZ2 tho...
Also played Gears of War... That was a cool game too... :biggrin:
Nothing too bad to say about the 360... It has cool games too...

[RO]M1Rc34 said:
I played Halo3... The SinglePlayer was kinda cool... But nothing compared to KZ2 tho...
Also played Gears of War... That was a cool game too... :biggrin:
Nothing too bad to say about the 360... It has cool games too...
Gears of War is good yeah :biggrin:

The main problem with the PS3, is that not many people use mics and sometimes there is no one using mics in a lobby... I mean you spend $300 on a console, buy a mic for $20... its not that hard..

Back
Top Bottom