Movie easter eggs and interesting details

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
I've been wanting to create this topic for a long time but never really got around to doing so. Until now.
This topic will feature these subtle details and interesting facts that make you appreciate a movie even more.

#1 The Matrix: Doorknob reflection

While filming a close-up of a reflective doorknob in The Matrix, the crew realized that they couldn't hide the camera in the reflection. They quickly threw a jacket over the camera to hide everything but the lens.

94jjaKd.jpg

Inception [spoilerz ahead]
Cobb's totem isn't the spinning top. The spinning top used to be his wifes totem.
His real totem is his wedding ring - he wears it only in the dreams, where he is still 'with' her.
In the real world, he is not wearing it.
And in the very last scene? He's NOT wearing it :)

Inception [spoilerz ahead]
Cobb's totem isn't the spinning top. The spinning top used to be his wifes totem.
His real totem is his wedding ring - he wears it only in the dreams, where he is still 'with' her.
In the real world, he is not wearing it.
And in the very last scene? He's NOT wearing it :)
I've always been a fan of that theory as well. Leo never says the top is his totem either and a totem should be unique, what's more unique than an engraving on the inside? An architect would never know what it's supposed to say.

I got loads of these, but I'm too lazy to take screenshots...

In all of the Pixar movies, there is a reference somehow to A113. In Wall-E, it's the name of the directive Otto the Autopilot initiates. A113 was the classroom where a lot of the original artists of Pixar learned to work with 3D rendering software.
There is also always a reference to a PizzaPlanet truck, somewhere.
A lot of movies have references to other Pixar movies, even some who haven't been released yet. In Brave, there is a carving of Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc. visible. One of the kids in the dentist's office in Finding Nemo is reading a Mr. Incredible comic. The list goes on and on.

I got loads of these, but I'm too lazy to take screenshots...

In all of the Pixar movies, there is a reference somehow to A113. In Wall-E, it's the name of the directive Otto the Autopilot initiates. A113 was the classroom where a lot of the original artists of Pixar learned to work with 3D rendering software.
There is also always a reference to a PizzaPlanet truck, somewhere.
A lot of movies have references to other Pixar movies, even some who haven't been released yet. In Brave, there is a carving of Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc. visible. One of the kids in the dentist's office in Finding Nemo is reading a Mr. Incredible comic. The list goes on and on.
I love that it's all one big universe. The animators must love putting these easter eggs in the movies.

#2 Die Hard: Hans Gruber's genuine reaction to falling

The stunt team told Alan Rickman (Hans Gruber in Die hard) that they would drop him on the count of 3, instead they dropped him at 1, resulting in a genuinely, terrified expression on his face.

aQmE2V4.png

If you ever watched any Marvel movie with Tony Stark in it, you probably saw him wondering around, acting like a smartass, while eating some snacks.
Those snacks aren't scripted. Robert Downy Jr. just kept sneaking them on set, to the point where the directors gave up on trying to film him without them.
The most famous scene is in the first Avengers movie, where Stark and Banner are analyzing Loki's scepter. He even offers some to Banner and Rogers.

If you ever watched any Marvel movie with Tony Stark in it, you probably saw him wondering around, acting like a smartass, while eating some snacks.
Those snacks aren't scripted. Robert Downy Jr. just kept sneaking them on set, to the point where the directors gave up on trying to film him without them.
The most famous scene is in the first Avengers movie, where Stark and Banner are analyzing Loki's scepter. He even offers some to Banner and Rogers.
Reminds me of Ocean's Eleven

In nearly every scene Rusty's in, he's eating something. According to Brad Pitt, this is because the whole gang (his character in particular) would be so busy that they'd rarely be able to eat; it was decided that Rusty would just eat all the time. He first mentioned this when he was eating after having worked all day without a break for lunch and was hungry, because he thought it would be a good character trait for Rusty Ryan as well. This leads to a gag at the end of the film where Rusty gets heartburn and throws the food away.

During the several takes it took to shoot the scene in which Rusty and Linus are spying on Tess as she is introduced coming down the stairs, Brad Pitt, who plays Rusty eating shrimp from a shrimp cocktail, ate 40 shrimp.

So, apearantly, actors use something called a "spitbucket". Whenever food's involved, they take a bite, and after cut, they spit it into the bucket, so they don't overeat if they have to take 50 shots.
According to Aziz Ansari, Chris Pratt never used one during the filming of Parks and Recreation. Motherfucker actually eats all the food.

I say this about everyone but seriously, Chris is the sweetest, funniest guy. He always also never uses a spit bucket. When you do scenes where a character is eating, you eat and then spit it out into a "spit bucket." Chris just keeps eating. If you see Andy eating a cheeseburger in a scene, you should know Chris Pratt ate like 8 cheeseburgers. I love that guy and everyone on Parks. Cannot over state this!

So, apearantly, actors use something called a "spitbucket". Whenever food's involved, they take a bite, and after cut, they spit it into the bucket, so they don't overeat if they have to take 50 shots.
According to Aziz Ansari, Chris Pratt never used one during the filming of Parks and Recreation. Motherfucker actually eats all the food.
Reminds me of the Ocean's Eleven gag where Brad Pitt is literally eating in every single scene.

#3 Ocean's Eleven: Yen's house of cards

Yen (Shaobo Qin) is seen building a house of cards on top of a diving board. When the group goes inside, the house of cards still stands but Yen has left the board, a monument to his skills.

R5DBuHC.jpg

#4 Toy Story 2 was accidentally deleted

In Toy Story 4 (2019) a car has the license plate "RMRF97". In 1997 someone at Pixar accidentally typed “rm -r -f “, deleting the entire Toy Story 2 movie from the Pixar database. Fortunately, the film's supervising technical director had a backup copy at home, and the movie was restored.

mjm0bQT.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom