Mirror's edge 2 might happen...

[TMS]Hollowbusta

Fans of Mirror's Edge may have reason to be excited as EA CEO John Riccitiello told Kotaku in an interview that he thinks, "it's a game that deserves to come back." Riccitiello spoke mostly on the nature of innovating game design, drawing on Dead Space and Mirror's Edge as an example. "Innovation doesn't mean it all works the first time," he said, speaking to the design challenges of Mirror's Edge. He elaborates:

I think Mirror's Edge was a fascinatingly original world. Fascinatingly original art direction. Music and sound design was great. I think the gameplay mechanic was a blast, but was intermittent and the levels didn't work. You found yourself scratching at walls at times, looking for what to do. Sometimes you had a roll going, downhill, slide, jump, slide, jump and then you just got stopped. It sort of got in the way of the fun.

It was like we couldn't quite decide if we were building Portal or a runner. And I don't think the consumer was ready to switch it up quite that way. You could say it was a sharp and great innovation. I believe that it was. You have to figure out what to do from here if you want it to be a five million seller vs. a one-million unit seller.

In light of this, Riccitiello also sees a few directions the series could take:

You could say: This thing needs to be more traditional. It's first-person game. There's a lot of successful FPS products out there that do really well. We could move in that direction.

Or [one could say]: This was never about guns. It was about its stark originality. Maybe we can back away from some of those [older] things… and emphasize the smooth play and puzzles and move it toward, if you will, a Portal.

With these challenges in mind, EA seems poised to create a Mirror's Edge sequel.

^quote from GameSpy

902_mirrors-edge-2-20091203015413154.jpg

Mirror's Edge was awesome game. Never played it thought but it looked awesome xD And this one is going to be much better!

Back
Top Bottom