HydraIRC - Open Source mIRC Alternative

GPow69

EDM for life ♥
I like this thing, tons of functions (More than mIRC as far as I know), easier to read font than mIRC, and relatively easy to use.

What's HydraIRC?

HydraIRC is an open-source IRC client with an attractive and easy to use interface. It supports DCC Chat and File transfers, Connecting to multiple servers, Dockable Floating Tabbed Windows, Autohiding Windows, DLL Plugins, Channel Monitoring, Message Logs, Event Viewer, Themes, Color schemes, Buddy groups, Audible and Visual Notifications , Reg-Exp Highlighting, Favorites and much more.

^ All that stuff. Whatever it means.

Heres some screens and stuff:

I Circled some cool things, Like the PM window that you can enable from the view menu
circled%20stuff.PNG

The connectey window thing
connect%20window.PNG

A Bunch of cool functions that you can enable in the view menu
View%20Menu%20and%20etc.png

Screenshots from their site (Not taken on a sexy Windows 7 with aero :< )

The program as you can see can either be nice, organized and clean (mine) or cluttered and stuff (Their screens)

Downloads

The download page on the site is:
http://www.hydrairc.com/index.php?page=downloads

If you don't want to visit their site, here is the direct link to the installer:
http://www.hydrairc.com/files/HydraIRC.exe

Enjoy, for me its working better than mIRC, which fucked me over nearly every day I used it, And the registration never ended. AND It did expire and wouldn't let me use it, even though its not supposed to do that.
I Hate mIRC.

I just got this and, it took me awile, but I figured it out and now I'm in love. Just a question, can I get BNC with this? Cause I went to one of those free BNC channels and did the stuff..

BNC = Bouncer.

IRC bouncers connect to a server and stay connected at all times, preventing people from stealing your nickname, recording your messages, etc.
Some also have scripting capabilities built in, so you can use it to run scripts on channels and annoy people with it.
Most of all, they let you have a cool vhost (the hostname shown when you /whois somebody) - so, for example, I could change mine from "ev0lution@111-222-111-222.static.tpgi.com.au" to "ev0lution@is.pretty.cool" - which is, sadly, why most people get them.

Bouncers are in no way associated with a specific IRC client, so you should be able to get a BNC then connect through it with any client.

IMO, this isn't all that great. It has a few more features, and a better interface than mIRC (and it's free), but mIRC has more powerful features for real IRC users, and it has it's epic scripting language.

Well I got my bouncer(s) to keep me connected all the time, not for a cool vhost. If you want a vhost contact the server administration on some support channel or some networks even have a script built in that allows you to get your vhost.

The main thing that drew me away from mIRC was that god awful font for the chat, can't read it for SHIT!

GPow69 said:
The main thing that drew me away from mIRC was that god awful font for the chat, can't read it for SHIT!
I like it, it gives you that old-school IRC feeling. Fixed width = FTW.

Either way...
mircfont.png

I never heard of "HydraIRC" before, so thanks for the introduction.
Will absolutely using this, especially because of all the xml configuration options.
But: The license is kinda strict and you need to request source access with an account to have a look at the source (so it isn't that free):/

Back
Top Bottom