How is GIMP?

Rafay

var nerd; nerd = db_getUser("rafay");
Hello. I wanted to ask if any body here uses GIMP here, how good it is? Is a replacement for Photoshop? Can I design templates that I can design in Photoshop? I recently switched to Ubuntu 11.04 just for the Mac like interface (yeah, Mac wannabe :tongue:. Read more @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbuntu/). Well, I've successfully installed Photoshop CS5 Extended on my Ubuntu (with Wine, of course) but it looks a lot like Windows interface (well, obviously). So how good is GIMP?

Depends on how well you know how to use it. Considering you're pro with PS you can probably pick it up pretty fast. However it does lack a few things that Photoshop has, but nothing major (It is free, of course)

Personally it was confusing to me (I was using it on Ubuntu too) and it took me longer to learn basic things than it did in PS, but it's all personal preference. Plus I don't like the interface/layout of it very much :\

I've used GIMP overall like 3 years and it is good program, taking a notice that it's free and can do almost same things what PS can do. Worth giving a try!

Not sure about making templates and such, it might be a bit hard in GIMP than in PS. Never really tried to make templates though.

GPow69 said:
Depends on how well you know how to use it. Considering you're pro with PS you can probably pick it up pretty fast. However it does lack a few things that Photoshop has, but nothing major (It is free, of course)

Personally it was confusing to me (I was using it on Ubuntu too) and it took me longer to learn basic things than it did in PS, but it's all personal preference. Plus I don't like the interface/layout of it very much :\
Well, my reason is to get the Mac-like interface that Photoshop does have in Mac. But since it's not available for Ubuntu, it pretty much looks like a "block" in Ubuntu. On the other side, GIMP does have the Mac-like interface. I'm talking about floating docks and stuff. But you clearly don't like it, do you?

Mauri said:
I've used GIMP overall like 3 years and it is good program, taking a notice that it's free and can do almost same things what PS can do. Worth giving a try!

Not sure about making templates and such, it might be a bit hard in GIMP than in PS. Never really tried to make templates though.
Thanks, I'll install it after the updates.

Rafay said:
floating docks and stuff

That's exactly what I didn't like about it, but it's personal opinion. To me, it felt really messy and cluttered/unorganized, unlike PS where everything is all 'together'

Panki said:
I tried GIMP, and I didn't like the messy look of it either. I prefer CS5.
Well, we all have different opinions. BTW: There is a program called "GimpShop" in case you guys didn't know; it brings Photoshop like interface in Gimp.

I tried GIMP when I first started, didn't really like it that much. Also tried PAINT.net, and that didn't fit my needs/wants either; so I switched to PS and never looked back :tongue:

Aman1238 said:
I tried GIMP when I first started, didn't really like it that much. Also tried PAINT.net, and that didn't fit my needs/wants either; so I switched to PS and never looked back :tongue:
Same, I like the layout of PS as well as the user-friendliness of the tools while allowing more experienced shoppers to do w/e they want.

I'll have to try GIMPShop in the future though, who knows, I may stop pirating photoshop and use that as I don't currently have photoshop on this computer.

Meh... I switched back to Photoshop CS5 Extended running under Ubuntu with Wine.

Back
Top Bottom