Fear of snakes.

Nimphiouus

TMS Fuhrer. (Non_Poster)
Redbelliedblacksnake.jpg

Yo guise. Well a few weeks ago I was walking up the drive way and had one of these clenched on my leg. Now since the seasons are changing and it is beginning to get warmer here, the snakes are becoming more active and I am seeing them basically every day. I cannot avoid them. I have an irrational fear of them. I hear a noise in the bush and I will immediately look and if I see one I will run uber fast. And I went to wash the car today, heard a noise and just ran straight inside the car and closed the door. I'm scared shitless of these things.

So my question is, how can I overcome this fear? any suggestions? :l

Well, this is all I've found regarding this:
The most common treatments for snake phobia are based on cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques. You may be encouraged to talk about your fear and taught new messages to replace your fearful self-talk. You may also be slowly exposed to snakes, beginning with photographs and gradually building up to a live encounter with a small snake in a controlled environment. Hypnosis is sometimes used to assist in relaxation.

Silvarray said:
Well, this is all I've found regarding this:
The most common treatments for snake phobia are based on cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques. You may be encouraged to talk about your fear and taught new messages to replace your fearful self-talk. You may also be slowly exposed to snakes, beginning with photographs and gradually building up to a live encounter with a small snake in a controlled environment. Hypnosis is sometimes used to assist in relaxation.

It is probably note worthy to mention, I have actually held several snakes before, much larger than the ones I am afraid of, I'm merely afraid of the snakes for their venom/bites.

It sounds like a phobia alright.
That also (unfortunately) means there is no definite cure, just some behavioral treatments that may work on some persons, and don't work at all on others...
I'm afraid that the only way to get rid of it is to go to a shrink, or move out of Australia. (I hear the north pole is nice this time of year).

You have to become the Snakeman. Confront your fear!

Uhmm, no idea actually, I would be scared shitless too..
Question though: Are they poisonous?

Mave said:

^ Can kill you in 45 minutes.

Nimphiouus said:
Mave said:

^ Can kill you in 45 minutes.
Pretty much every hospital in Australia has the anti-venom for about every poisonous thing though. So just be sure to have a phone with you, in case you get attacked/bitten.

Back
Top Bottom